Author Topic: Jr. Dragsters on the salt  (Read 5992 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Jr. Dragsters on the salt
« on: April 12, 2009, 10:51:54 AM »
My overactive mind just thought of something.  I remember seeing, a few years ago, someone had a few Jr. Dragsters at Bonneville.  One had a streamliner body on it.  I don't remember where I saw it, either here, Bonneville News, or maybe the SCTA site.  Does anyone remember those cars?
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Jr. Dragsters on the salt
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 11:00:39 AM »
are you sure you are not thinking of Jack's cars....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jimbo

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 11:04:03 AM »
MORE THAN LIKELY IT WAS AT THE UTAH SALT FLATS RACING ASST(USFRA) WORLD OF SPEED (WOS) WHICH IS RUN AROUND THE TEEN WEEK OF SEPTEMBER

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »
That sounds right.  The streamliner one looked like Jack's ride, but shorter.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 12:06:12 PM »
The  Jr.streamliner was from the Vesco team, It was built by Rick and his son Calvin drove it. The JR.lakester idea was also tried at El Mirage. Mike Cook built one for his son and Ron Preutt had a couple for his daughters. They ran a 1/4 mile at the lakes. Cooks son is still driving a roadster and is in both 200 mph clubs. Pruett's daughter is driving a funny car after she spent several years in the Jr. Dragsters. She did very well coming up through the sport.  :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 05:12:03 PM »
The  Jr.streamliner was from the Vesco team, It was built by Rick and his son Calvin drove it. The JR.lakester idea was also tried at El Mirage. Mike Cook built one for his son and Ron Preutt had a couple for his daughters. They ran a 1/4 mile at the lakes. Cooks son is still driving a roadster and is in both 200 mph clubs. Pruett's daughter is driving a funny car after she spent several years in the Jr. Dragsters. She did very well coming up through the sport.  :-)

That's right!!

Ron's daughter drove a blown alky altered before the flopper.  Sounds like she knows how the handle the horsepower pretty well!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 06:32:49 PM by Calkins »

Offline Kato Engineering

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 11:04:44 AM »
back in the day,
I assembled one for LITTLE mike cook that had TWO engines...we ran it at el-mo twice.

actually, at one time, BOTH of the COOKS had junior dragsters for their respective kids.
and then for some reason, they grew so big that they would not fit in them....and other interests came about....

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 11:14:15 AM »
Have any pictures?

McRat

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 01:39:43 PM »
I really believe the majority of the Jr Dragster crowd are great folk.

But there are a few teams that would make the worst Little League Dad blush.

I saw one father kicked out of LACR by Bernie's wife? for screaming obscenities at his daughter for cutting a lazy light.

Million dollar efforts in what was intended to be a budget racing class does crazy things to folk.

It takes longer to stage a Jr Dragster than a TF car it seems.  They tried to get Diesels banned from the track because they don't like the smell.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 02:19:24 PM »
The guy that owns the fueler I work on bought his second Jr last year.  It's a fun family outting for the Jr as well as the fueler.  The older granddaughter has been running the first car for a few years, and won the big Jr's race at Cordova, Il in '07.  He the second car for the younger grandson, but his' not old enough to run it yet, so a family friend ran it.  There neat!