Author Topic: Wanted: Ariel Square four 1000 cc Motor  (Read 24682 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wanted: Ariel Square four 1000 cc Motor
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2009, 02:39:55 PM »
prob. could have been classified as a little person
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jww36

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
Tom G.;
I think you would have a lot of fun and interest in a Square 4 LSR bike. In regards to the failures of connecting rods, the rods themselves were not the problem. Ariel used pressed in studs with nuts as opposed to bolts in their rods. The stud material they used would probably be considered inferior today. The real problem was, if these studs were ever over tightened once, it's not a matter of if, but rather when they will break. I've probably got every Ariel shop manual  printed, even from the 30's, and not one book gives a torque spec for these studs. And because the stud material is unknown, it would be hard to even guess a torque spec.
The other problem they had was the oil passage in crank that feeds oil to rod bearings. If a Square 4 has set for awhile, the old oil solidifies and the passage plugs solid. When I restored my 1940 Square 4, I literally had to run a long drill thru this passage to clean it out. There have been more than a few old Square 4's, that after found in a shed or barn, the excited new owner would change oil, add gas, and after a few laps around the block, poke a hole in his new find.
If you find your motor and proceed with your project, I have billit H-beam rods for Sq. 4's.
Good luck and have fun,
John

Robin UK

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
Worth checking with these guys for any bits you need. When Jim Travis was staying here in the UK with me a while back I took him there and he ended up in the warehouse selecting bits for his collection of Ariels. Come to think of it, it might be worth asking Jim what he's got tucked away.

http://draganfly.co.uk/

Cheers

Robin

Offline desotoman

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 03:21:40 PM »
John,

I sent you an email. Thanks for the information.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 03:22:54 PM »
Robin,

Thanks for the link. I will ask Jim next time I see him.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 02:19:54 AM »
Heres the one you need.  Still think sq.4s are tourers not racers.

By weslake at 2009-12-17
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2009, 10:55:01 AM »
Heres the one you need.  Still think sq.4s are tourers not racers.

You may be correct. On the other hand, Tom is planning on touring the lake bed, not racing. 8-)

He just plans on touring at a higher speed.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 01:43:14 PM »
Nice Bike. Thanks for the picture. Is that a wide line Norton frame?

Tom G.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2009, 01:46:24 PM »
Is that the frame you have Tom?  Or is an aftermarket frame, like a Trackmaster?  Dad say that you had bike stuff everywhere in the house that last time he was there.  Frame here, motor there, tires some where else... :-D
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline desotoman

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2009, 02:53:57 PM »
Is that the frame you have Tom?  Or is an aftermarket frame, like a Trackmaster?  Dad say that you had bike stuff everywhere in the house that last time he was there.  Frame here, motor there, tires some where else... :-D

Last time your Dad was here, was at least 15 years ago. LOL  No more bikes in the house.  I have a Norton wide line frame the Square Four motor sits in. I also have an antique Magnesium 4 shoe brake for the front end and a matching two shoe for the rear. (forget the name) The tank I have is an old Dunstall and I think the tail section is a Dunstall also. If I have a picture I will post it. I bought the bike as a basket case 20 years ago, and have keep it as a retirement project. Now it is time collect parts to put it back together.

I was able to contact the guy who originally built the bike. He modified the motor and it had some one off speed parts in it. He got tired of it and sold it to a friend of his who did not listen to him and ended up blowing up the motor. The second guy is who I bought the bike off of. This bike was originally built back in the late 60's or early 70's.

Tom G.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2009, 03:24:04 PM »
We need pics...   :cheers:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline desotoman

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2009, 06:11:41 PM »
Here is a picture that was given to me when I bought the bike. This is a photo of a photo so it is not very good but will give you an idea of what it looks like. It is too buried at this time to take a picture of it.

Tom G.

PS. I think the name of the front brake is Fontana.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2009, 06:26:20 PM »
Here is a picture of another Bike I have it is a Rickman Road Racer that supposedly came out of Paulferman's (sp) shop in Santa Monica and ran at Daytona in the 1970's. I don't know if the Ariel motor will fit in this frame. I have never measured it to see.

Tom G.

Offline k.h.

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2009, 06:44:35 PM »
Being a know-it-all, I'll suggest the Ariel brake, with three holes on the dust cover, is a Ceriani 230mm four leading shoe, as the 210mm Fontana has five holes on the right side cover.  The Rickman appears to have a Munch front brake. 
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline desotoman

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2009, 08:26:16 PM »
KH,

Thanks. I was just going by what I was told when I bought it.

Tom G.