Author Topic: Ignition Options for Vintage Class  (Read 10728 times)

Offline xxobuick

Ignition Options for Vintage Class
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »
Hello All,

We are running an XX0 Production Vehicle this August.  The rules state that vintage equipment will be enforced in Vintage body's.  No Electronic Fuel injection or turbos.  It says you can run any ignition though.  We don't really want to run a mag, as there are alot better options out there.  We would like to run a crank or flywheel trigger, but am afraid that since it is not period correct for XX0 classes, that they may not allow it.  Is a mag, as far as you can go with ignition, and keep the judges happy?  Thanks in Advance.  This is in a 36 Buick Century Coupe BTW.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Ignition Options for Vintage Class
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 12:06:02 PM »
The #60 V4F/STR briefly held class record last year.  The mass of MSD stuff on the front of the engine apparently was just fine....

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »
In the past, I think it is still this way, the electronc ignitions could only have settings which programed in for the run before the run and could not self adjust during the run by changes in the performance of the engine. ie: EGT, sense detination, etc.

I believe the XO/GC record holder has a crank trigger igniton and everything is controlled prior to the run.  There are many MSD & HEI ignitions currently being used in vintage classes and there is a certain amount of "trust" used.

When I did inspections in impounds with Dan I looked over thing pretty close especially if it was screwed into the block, head, or exhaust system and had a wire going to it.

Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:53:44 PM »
Here's the Electromotive crank trigger system that we used on the SaltCat XO/BGC last year and it was just fine in impound. Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline llazyyboy

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 12:14:23 AM »
 I might actually be pretty stupid too - we will have to wait for the test results to confirm or deny!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 05:17:40 PM »
"Raza" -- how about some kind of information on who you are and the meaning of your pretty cryptic comment?  Maybe fill in your real location, and tell us about your interest in land speed racing - okay?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 06:19:51 PM »
Without starting up another rant, check the 2015 rulebook.
Some verbiage has been added to help define the rule.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 11:52:49 AM »
Kinda unusual to "reply" to a 6-year-old posting.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 08:16:18 PM »
I read the update for Vintage Ignitions --- they are allowed to run Crank Trigger systems but the way I read Classic rules you can run a dist. with a box but not a crank trigger system.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 12:30:46 AM »
I read the update for Vintage Ignitions --- they are allowed to run Crank Trigger systems but the way I read Classic rules you can run a dist. with a box but not a crank trigger system.

Sparky, doesn't the first part of your statement conflict with the second part?  :? :? :?

I'm just trying to get clarification.

Thanks,
Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 01:02:01 AM »
PJ,  they are two different  classifications---  the earlier vintage iron can run a more sophisticated system (ie a crank trigger) ---- the  the way I am reading the rules for classic, no crank trigger sensor.  I am just trying to make sure I am not missing something.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 01:16:27 AM »
You mean we're both confused???  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »
jeeze the truth hurts  :roll:

Offline dw230

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 03:22:18 PM »
This is the section from the 2015 rule book. Refers to Vintage engine in a VINTAGE category body only.Special Construction and Vintage Categories only.

For reasons of historical authenticity, vintage engine modifications and equipment used shall be restricted to older technology levels, so far as is practical. Accordingly, in classes XO, XF, XXF, XXO, V4 and V4F, using Vintage bodies:
   1.   Turbochargers are not permitted.
   2.   Computers (2.Q) are allowed for data collection purposes only.
   3.   Electronic fuel injection prohibited.
   4.   Any ignition system may be used and may employ a crank-trigger magnetic pick-up. Timing may be "pre-programmed" or "mapped" and apply a preset
      timing curve and rev-limiter. However, the ignition system shall not be "interactive". That is, the ignition system shall not make "variable real time" engine           management changes while running based on sender or sensor inputs. For example, manifold pressure sensor, O2 sensor, knock sensor, wheel speed or gear change          sensors, etc. Entrant is responsible for demonstrating compliance.

Good luck,
DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 03:36:29 PM »
just want to point out that this disco started because of this comment:

I might actually be pretty stupid too - we will have to wait for the test results to confirm or deny!

not quite sure the resurrection of this thread had anything to do with anything.  and yes, more tech is allowed in vintage than classic.  this is racing... what'd you expect, logic?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member