Author Topic: Twin engine bikes  (Read 19612 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: Twin engine bikes
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2009, 11:16:37 PM »
Forget the S and S. Buy a 'busa.

FREUD

I'd lose count on how many of each of those I've heard about or seen pictures of.  Boring!  I don't know any better.  I go for the ridiculously stupid hard projects!

Anyway.
Twin engine bikes, in land speed racing.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2009, 08:26:28 AM »
MAX.....it all applies to you also....except once again, passion rules.

You will just live with it and make a lot of people, with similar dreams, very happy.

Now get back to work.

Stainless needs something new to post.

Avoid the pipe smokers for they can shorten your life.

FREUD

Passion?  No.  Tenacity, yes.

Some people will never understand the "why".

Max

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2009, 09:38:29 AM »
You said it!  Just imagine how cross-eyed people at work look at me when I say 'Twin engined motorcycle'

BECAUSE!!!  That's why!

Offline sabat

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »
Calkins, I'm all for individuality, and doing what moves you, but your original question was pretty open;

"Is there a 'big' advantage to running twin twins in an 'open' bike?"

So naturally you are going to get a lot of answers, and the thread will (and should) include arguments for alternatives.

Dean
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:53:07 AM by sabat »

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »
For me, it's like a moth to a flame.  It's so wrong!!!  For some reason I really like them.

But, like I said.  In the open bike classes, I haven't seen very many pictures of twins, so I was wondering if the added weight of a second engine over weighs the power it makes.  Yea, there's newer stuff from the factory that'll wip-up on most old-school stuff.  My dad was telling about a guy he knows that quit running his top fuel Harley drag bike because he was tired of spending money on it and still getting beat by a nearly stock street bike.

Offline joea

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2009, 11:22:04 AM »
Max.........come on dude.......you dont thing passion applies to you....get real...

definition passion from various dictionaries......:

"intense, driving, or overmastering feeling or conviction"........

" a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object, or concept "........

"to an emotion that is deeply stirring or ungovernable"........

"Boundless enthusiasm".....       " The object of such enthusiasm".........

Every sense of the word applies to you Max.......... 

YOUR TENACIOUS BECAUSE OF YOU PASSION.................

now the definition of success is very subjective.........folks can have their own defintion of that..........

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2009, 11:46:01 AM »
Max, you didn't convince Joe or me... you have passion for your scooter and its fraternal twin Vincents.   Tenacious, sure, otherwise you would have quit after the 3rd scooter.  I spend a lot of time with you, I see it in your words and expression when we talk, if it ain't passion and tenacity I don't know the definition of either....

Calkins, you will require some of both to do any Bonneville project.... you will require a lot of both to do twins...
See ya on the salt  8-)

For all, success is what you make of it.... If you can build a project and get it down the salt you were successful.... set a record and you were very successful
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:48:51 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Robin UK

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2009, 12:03:35 PM »
Another twin. :-D Oh OK, a V twin so a bad joke but a great bike from the 60's. Alf Hagon's shorrock supercharged JAP V twin on which he clocked the first sub ten second quarter for a bike in the UK. What you see is exactly how he rode it so more or less an engine on a stick.

Cheers

Robin

Offline Freud

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »
"Why do I have a single engine in my motorcycle?

Because  two engines never like each other."

Denis Manning  2009     

Since '63

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2009, 01:46:32 PM »
Joe Daly:

While there's not much doubt about the hassles of dual engines being a pain in the "neck" to run at the lsr events -- don't say it outweighs the good stuff 'til you've seen Bob Moreland's beast.  It works pretty well.  Noonan, what's Bob's best speed on that critter?  I don't remember.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2009, 02:32:23 PM »
Justin,

Find yourself an old Keith Black Hemi that has been windowed. Cut the front two cylinders off, then cut the rear two cylinders off. Weld them together. (Sounds easier that it is) Now you have a four cylinder you can run on Nitro that would make more Torque than you could ever use. More reliable than two triumphs joined together. And make more HP and Torque than you could ever get out of two triumphs tied together.

The way I read the rule book you could run a motor like this in the Motorcycle Sidecar Streamliner Unlimited Class at Bonneville. There is no current Record in this class.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2009, 02:50:04 PM »
I'm planning on running a twin engine Suzuki at Speed Week, it has a pair of 1st generation GSXR 1100 race engines, each displacing 1255cc. Larry Forstall built the bike back in the early 90's, other than a couple of shakedown runs and passing tech, it has never run under full throttle. Bonneville has a history of multi engine racers, I was after Larry for years to let me run it. I had it shipped up to Alberta where I've been able to perform some maintenance and repairs. Every time that I work on it, I come away impressed with the innovation and quality of work that Larry performed. I have upgraded the spoked front wheel to a Performance Machine that matches the rear. I ordered an early GSXR competition fairing and landspeed front fender from Air Tech. Rather than wrap it in an extended 'Busa body or a Toy, I thought I'd keep it looking period. I swore I'd never go back to carbs, now I have 8 to contend with. I don't think my Hayabusa is going to last long with a 10mm stroker, the Double will provide entertainment for the rest of the week.
We'll run it in 3000 APS/G as a Beairsto-Forstall entry.
I'll try and post a picture.
-Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline willieworld

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2009, 03:23:54 PM »
its not the unlimited class (over 3000 cc )  its the unlimited gas and fuel class   page 126 7.j.12 class ug and uf     -----  any reciprocating engine which uses the otto cycle may run in streamliner category only. supercharged engines do not advance class size

willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline desotoman

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »
its not the unlimited class (over 3000 cc )  its the unlimited gas and fuel class   page 126 7.j.12 class ug and uf     -----  any reciprocating engine which uses the otto cycle may run in streamliner category only. supercharged engines do not advance class size

willie buchta

Thanks Willie for the clarification. IMO that is even better.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2009, 04:36:57 PM »
Joe Daly:

While there's not much doubt about the hassles of dual engines being a pain in the "neck" to run at the lsr events -- don't say it outweighs the good stuff 'til you've seen Bob Moreland's beast.  It works pretty well.  Noonan, what's Bob's best speed on that critter?  I don't remember.

Slim,

Bob's beast ran 217mph at Bonneville on Gas and Carbs several years ago and has even run 208 on the much shorter dirt course at El Mirage.

Many new changes have been made, we look for much higher speeds and records with this refined machine.. :cheers: