Author Topic: INDIAN 741 Supercharged...See you in 2011  (Read 741290 times)

Offline nanno

• New folks
Re: INDIAN 741 Supercharged...See you in 2011
« Reply #975 on: May 23, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
Welcome back Lars and now show 'em, why Loki is scared of Thor's Hammer.  8-)

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #976 on: May 23, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »
I finally finished reading the build last night,glad it turned out better than ever.  Does you friend sell the cast fuel tanks? My eyes sparkled when I saw that... :cheers:
I think (see the special offers page) the aluminium cast tanks can be bought favourly through Moen of Indian Parts Europe, one of Lars biggest sponsors! And Moen's site is surely worth reading if you're an Indian buff.
http://www.indianpartseurope.com/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:59:13 PM by charlie101 »

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #977 on: June 10, 2012, 10:27:14 AM »

Lars, so glad to se you back, looks like things are going your way. Looking forward to the rebuild/updates and speed week. :cheers:
Nice looking shop.

Thanks Glen !

Program your build timeline so you will have free time for Salt Talks.

That's the source of all "truths."

Anything you say or hear there is truth as solid as granite.

Old bikes become as fast and as vibrant as lightening bolts.

Do you need a new Salt Talks badge to represent your new scoot?

FREUD

Thanks Freud !
Thanks for the offer for the badge, but the new scoot won't be till next year...but thanks !

What a beautiful space! Remember our invite to San Diego? Let me know well ahead of time if you'll make it, our shop would need a serious cleaning. Happy for you!

Thank you Jill !
You're very kind

Anyone would have needed a time out after all that bashing you got last year. Seems you where challenged by some in the the Vanirs clan? Thor is a member of the clan AESIR. It seems you could do with a whole clan of power and war gods, why not call your little family AESIR? The little indian is Ullr, who is a son of Sif, and a step-son of Thor. He is so good an archer, and so fast on his skies, that no one can contend with him. He is fair of face, and possesses every quality of a warrior. Men should invoke him in single combat.. The blown gold wing is Hoder, hight one of the asas, who is blind, but exceedingly strong; and the gods would wish that this asa never needed to be named, for the work of his hand will long be kept in memory both by gods and men. And here comes Thor. Thor is the foremost of them. He is called Asa-Thor, or Oku-Thor. He is the strongest of all gods and men, and rules over the realm which is called Thrudvang (Bonneville). I can see a little track bike there, there is yet an asa, whose name is Tyr. He is very daring and stout-hearted. He sways victory in war, wherefore warriors should call on him. In the foreground calmly waiting is Bragi, the Norse word for poetry. He is famous for his wisdom, eloquence and flowing speech. What can be more flowing than the speech of yet another Honda flat 6? Or maybe his name is Heimdall? He is also called the white-asa. He is great and holy; born of nine maidens, all of whom were sisters. He is also called Hallinskide and Gullintanne, for his teeth were of gold.

Ho, ho !!! Fantastic !  I LIKE that story !

Welcome back Lars .
I had an O ring chain with the same problem once.
I don't know why you bothered with getting a table, the floor looks more than adequate to eat off.
Do you plan on putting your "salt cracker" tee's on the market again ?

Thanks General !
Yep, new t-shirts are in the making with a new 'design'

Chain slap? Only chain whip can produce force that's needed for that sort of havock. That's the only reason I can think of.
Lowbrow have a sprung chain tensioner that maybe could fix that.

Thanks Charlie. Never thought about 'chain slap' being the culprit.
I'll look into finding a chain tensioner.

Hey Lars, it's great to see you back. Glad you got it all sorted out with the landlord to at least get your stuff back. Don't forget to sue him for your lawyers fees. It looks like you have the perfect "Man Cave" now. It looks great. Look forward to seeing ya at Speedweek. Remember, entries must be postmarked by the 10th...

Larry  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks a lot Larry

På gensyn!

På gensyn Monix ! [ See ya' ]

Glad to see you back here, Lars. Look forward to seeing you at Speed Week..... :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks Paul !

Lars,
I was getting suited up for a ride and was trying to get my boots on when I noticed that there was a sock stuffed down in one.
You probably looked all over for it.
Now you have to go to SpeedWeek just to get your laundry back. :-D

Don

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh; so that's were I put that sock with all my money.
Please send them ( ALL of the $10.000 ) back to me.

.-)

YES!
welcome news lars-and what a workshop! great to see you bounce back ,indians make you hardier.crazy here with build for BSW-
SKAL!

SKÅL BBKelly !........................."indians make you hardier"....naaaaa; Indians makes you nuts

Is that industrial grade chain or genuine motorcycle chain?  Was it rusty and pitted when you last used it?  Your shop and home looks great.   

Hi Bo !
That was a genuine motorcycle chain from RK.
Yeah, it was rusty and somewhat pitted from when I used it back in 2010, but still......?!

Wow, what an excellent workshop! I lived in my workshops for over 20 years. If I was looking at a new one, the first thing I'd check out was the office....could I live in it? Or if there was room somewhere to build living quarters? I never had to go far to work :-D

Thanks Chris !

Welcome back Lars and now show 'em, why Loki is scared of Thor's Hammer.  8-)

Thank you Nanno ! I'll get back to Thor's Hammer later

I finally finished reading the build last night,glad it turned out better than ever.  Does you friend sell the cast fuel tanks? My eyes sparkled when I saw that... :cheers:
I think (see the special offers page) the aluminium cast tanks can be bought favourly through Moen of Indian Parts Europe, one of Lars biggest sponsors! And Moen's site is surely worth reading if you're an Indian buff.
http://www.indianpartseurope.com/

Yep !
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #978 on: June 10, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »
Well; my new project for the Salt won't be named Thor's Hammer after all.
Seams someone got that idea before I did, so first come....first serve.
The evil man in question is Kurt ( originally from Denmark ) who runs his
magnificent Vincent on the Salt.
I tried to persuade him that it would be an excellent idea if he would please
call his bloody bike 'Kurt's Hammer' instead.......but naaaa naaaaa, THAT wasn't
good enough for him.
OK then; I guess I have to punish him by showing this picture:

Smart fella'...ei ?
First he builds a really tall platform for his bike , only to realize he can't reach it
so he has to go to town to buy himself a ladder.....jeez
You will have to forgive him; his a Molbo

So what am I to do: calling my new project 'Thor's Screwdriver', just do not cut it.

Take this Kurt:
It'll be called 'Odin's Fury'
So who is this 'Odin':

"....Odin is associated with the concept of the Wild Hunt, a noisy, bellowing movement across the sky...
His name is related to ōðr, meaning "fury, excitation," besides "mind," or "poetry."
 His role, like that of many of the Norse gods, is complex. Odin is a principal member of the Æsir
 (the major group of the Norse pantheon) and is associated with war, battle, victory and death,
 but also wisdom, magic, poetry, prophecy, and the hunt.
 Odin has many sons, the most famous of whom is Thor...."

So Kurt: who's your daddy !?

.-)

OK, I'll lift the veil on it:
It's a Danish made four cylinder 750cc overhead-camshaft Type C NIMBUS.
but as of now it's just a plan. I did have a good deal on one, but due to my own stupidity
the deal fell through, so now I'm searching for another.
I used to have one back some 32 years ( now I feel old ).
Here it is just after I bought it:

That's a 'Bender' side-car. It was a copy of the 'Steib' and it was made here in Copenhagen.

He it is after I rebuild it

That's me on behind the handlebars....it REALLY is !

Here are the first drafts:

The plan is to drive an AISIN AMR300 blower ( similar to the one on the Indian ) off a shaft
coupled ( is that the term ) to the overhead camshaft.
I've been all over a couple of Nimbus bikes lately and measured everything,
calculated the direction and RPM of the shaft/blower etc. and it should
work out just fine.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:22:22 AM by octane »

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #979 on: June 10, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »
Now the Indian:

I've been all over it and it appears that everything is honky dory.
No undue funny noises, no 'cork-screwing' crank...nothing really.
I've re re re rechecked the carb. Checked the float-bowl 'needle' rubber tip

to see if it was harmed by the methanol....nope.
Checked the electric fuel-shut-off thingy

I've put a new chain on it, put on the big pulley

( last year I only got to run with the small pulley )
and put on a smaller rear-sprocket

so of course it will now go muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch faster.

Took it to a bike-show a while back and showed off by starting it up
to great applause
.-)
It does run real nicely, thank you.
Here's a video someone took there: ( I know: the guy with the Easy-Start spay is a bit over-enthusiastic )
CLICK

So all there needs to be done it making a new wiring harness.
I didn't really impress myself with the one it has now.
Then I'm ready !

Except:

Freakingfu%6+#motherofallbummers:
the sh!t has been flying fan-wards bigtime.
As my situation is right now, there's just NO way I can afford to go this year.
That horrible little fact has knocked my world off its axis.

Well, well; c'est la vie.........a freaking roller-coaster.

For now I'll just joyfully keep on working on the bike with a glimmer of hope that
something unexpected happens,
and then I'll just observe how the universe unfolds.

"..Hope is the feeling you have
 that the feeling you have isn't permanent
.."

Jean Kerr

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:25:43 PM by octane »

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline El Wayno

• New folks
« Reply #980 on: June 10, 2012, 12:28:08 PM »
Why not name the new bike Mijolnir. Which is the name of Thor's Hammer. Kinda circumvents the other guy that way. Plus there seem to be a lot of ways to spell it if that particular way is taken. Too bad about your surprise circumstances. Hope something good turns your way.

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #981 on: June 10, 2012, 12:49:12 PM »
Well; my new project for the Salt won't be named Thor's Hammer after all.
Take this Kurt:
It'll be called 'Odin's Fury'
So Kurt: who's your daddy !?

.-)

OK, I'll lift the veil on it:
It's a Danish made four cylinder 750cc overhead-camshaft Type C ...
"Odin's Fury," I like it and laughed my ass off at the "who's your daddy" comment. :-D

I have often been fascinated with the relatively unique Nimbus too in my searches for eclectic bikes. I seem to have locked in on shaft drives (not necessarily for Land Speed Racing) with a Sunbeam S7 and a "naked" early Goldwing. The shaft drive makes for less issues with chain but probably makes for more of a challenge in changing gear ratios. I look forward to seeing this come together.

The shop/living quarters is awesome. That has to be the silver lining of all time after your troubles last year.

As it turns out, I probably won't make the Salt this year either being in Europe on a long standing planned road-trip with my dad.

I lift my rhyton in salute to Odin's Fury. Skol! :cheers:

Jim

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #982 on: June 10, 2012, 09:53:32 PM »
What about the tank sealing goo you used? Is that really necessary to use and was that a reason for the poor runs you had?

You got your work cut out making a bland, boring, gutless flat iron 3 speed Nimbus dust sucker to a rowing, stomp pulling fire breathing supercharged father of gods. It'll neeever woooork.... :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 01:22:16 AM by charlie101 »

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #983 on: June 11, 2012, 06:10:14 PM »
charlie101....I can't begin to tell you how wrong you are!!!!  With all that Lars has gone through to race his Indian on the salt, get a record, find his lost Indian when he got home, battle with the #$%^$$##@#$%^ landlord, and still end up optimistic... Lars is an inspiration to us all and definitely should be to you too!

I'm very sad you won't be on the salt with us this year Lars, but I'll be watching for you next year!!!  Love the new garage...it's twice the size of my apartment!!  Take care and Stay Upright!!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #984 on: June 11, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »
charlie101....I can't begin to tell you how wrong you are!!!!  With all that Lars has gone through to race his Indian on the salt, get a record, find his lost Indian when he got home, battle with the #$%^$$##@#$%^ landlord, and still end up optimistic... Lars is an inspiration to us all and definitely should be to you too!

Lynda

Nimbus.....It'll neeever woooork....  :-D
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:48:05 PM by charlie101 »

Offline beerbellykelly

• #1980-A/F 1350-AIRCOOLED-TOO COOL FOR SKOOL
« Reply #985 on: June 11, 2012, 06:48:31 PM »
hey lars! i agree with lynda-just a small portion of your adventures would make a great book or a tv programme that would be worth watching-a rarity!

from my years in iceland and norway i seem to remember the only name to suit the new bike would be SLEIPNIR- dunno if i spelt it right, but i think,[hazy days] sleipnir was odin,s eight legged war horse there is a big mountain in iceland with the shape of a horse shoe-left as odin left earth on his eight legged warhorse, bound  for valhalla- before ragnarok?-

these are just my hazy memories,so if some smart , computer wise type wants to correct me by quoting some text  he has trawled off garggle or wiki-dont bother.
LARS- you should just get a flight and come to BSW  for the party-there are plenty of indian folk you aint met -and i need to hear the impression of your motorhome driving up a hill !!
P.J.
GOD BLESS THE HUMMIN' CUMMINS
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #986 on: June 11, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »
OK it looks like my dot.comfuser is working again.
Lynda, you left abit untold, don't forget the months of red tape and worry to get the bike in the country, weeks and weeks of trouble and added cost he had with the Motorhome and DMV, nonstop driving and late arrival to B'ville, and only after prolonged stay with added cost again and non stop relentless work on the bike the record was beat with a couple of halfrotten runs with a problem noone on the salt could solve. Any one with his fluids balanced would have abolished the project weeks earlier :-D Top that up with a motorhome camping landlord with his own ideas take a spin and have a fallout. And out of his hands, the Salt cracker gone missing without a trace. And that even before the welcome home was a garage landlord gone completely bonkers, rob him blind and sue him at that! Lars must have taken good care of his tin foil hat! That Lars caracter is certainly made of some double gnarly stuff. It'll take a tougher hide than a catskin to polish him up! I am in total awe, wish him all luck in the world and is happy and envy of the fantastic mancave he's made all by himself!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:14:57 AM by charlie101 »

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #987 on: June 11, 2012, 11:16:58 PM »
When there is not Lars, there's another knobhead revisiting Bonneville. A Swedish frostbitten rawhide Viking really geared up and armed to his teeth to thrash his own previous record. He has honed his racing skills with years and unnumerous laps on winter ice tracks with hundred of inch long pinsharp stubs in their tires. They lean the bikes more then 60 degrees in the curbs, sliding elbows on the ice inches from each other and a whole lot quicker around the bends than the speedway jockeys. G-forces compared or sometimes exceeding those in F1. A sport for people with some sincerely serious balls. I 'm convinced the riders must have some fibruos growth in places others don't have...:-D
His Blog is also written in English so you unwashed can read.  59 days and change remaining...the bike is sent and the dices are thrown....visit and give Anders your blessings!
http://edstugaanders.blogspot.se/
The air cargo prices he is stating are really interesting! $800 to Seattle for 120 Kg.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:58:39 AM by charlie101 »

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #988 on: June 12, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »
WOO HOO!!!!! Let's go racing and build more incredible memories to add to the collections we already have!!!!!  It's going to be an AWESOME Speedweek!!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #989 on: June 15, 2012, 03:06:29 AM »
Hi Lars,

Sunning meself on a Greek island for a few days... (had my 60th at Bonneville, but Susan wanted hers here!!!)

Nice new project with the Nimbus... Keep at it...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...