Lars, you are struggling. It is best if I do not give technical recommendations. I am more of a brit bike kind of guy. This is how I work. First, I start with a standard engine as designed by the factory, more or less. I ride it and learn about how it works, how the parts color with carbon, etc., and what it feels and sounds like. The proper fuel, ignition timing, plugs etc. Then I change something. I ride it some more. It is easy to figure out what causes any problems. It is the last thing I changed. I get everything working good. Then I move on to the next step. Lots of notes, etc. You can see this in my build. I ran a bone stock engine in 2007. A bone standard engine with a ported head in 2008 and 2009. Two years with this setup? It took me a couple to get everything working. A mildly hopped up engine in 2010. More fine tuning on this same engine in 2011. The lower end is built for a blower and one might be installed in the future, if I find the money. It will not happen until I get the NA setup completely figured out and working.
Sometimes when I have problems I go back to the last known good setup and start over.
Pure race motors are something I rarely built. When I did, I put them in a street chassis and broke them in, troubleshooted all sorts of problems, set the mixture, and then I put them in the race chassis. All of the work on my Triumph gets figured out on the road as best as I can.
This is not telling anyone what to do or the best way. It simply is a different approach to doing things.
Bo: I like your way of doing things.
In my case I just didn't have ( or take ) the time to do it this way
and I'm not sure I would have the patience.
.... I am more of a brit bike kind of guy....
Me too !
My first bike was a TriBsa; an A10 BSA frame with a Triumph Speed Twin engine.
Here it is back in 1978 from a road-trip with my girlfriend at the time
I bought that bike 32 years ago and I still
have it !
It's been through a few rebuilds and 'permutations' since then, and the last time I saw it
before putting it in store a couple of years ago, the sorry little thing looked like this
Then for a while I had a 650 pre-unit Triumph with a frame stretched 4", that I started working on
( actually the blower on the INDIAN was bought for this Triumph )
...then I started changing it into a LSR look-a-like ( blue thingy is a blower 'stand-in' )
Then I got the silly idea after visiting Bonneville in 2008 that it would be a hole lot more
fun to build an actual
LSR bike and in the process
I got insane and decided to do it with an INDIAN engine as the base.
All the while my 650 pre-unit BSA, that I've had for 10 years is still waiting for me to
finish the second rebuild I've done on it
I just can't wait to finish it: it's an absolute wonder to ride,
...except I need new Ceriani front forks ,
as I ripped them of the Beeza...shortened them ...and put them on the INDIAN...oops !