Author Topic: Gussets, exhaust exit, vents  (Read 9353 times)

Offline Monkeywrench

• New folks
Gussets, exhaust exit, vents
« on: April 07, 2009, 08:48:04 PM »
A couple of general questions regarding an Altered Coupe.

1. "gussets are required at tube junctions of hoops and shoulder rail" - could someone clarify or draw me a diagram? Exactly which locations in my NHRA-style 8-point cage require gussets? Just where the shoulder bar and hoop meet? Top and bottom?

2. It is nearly impossible to route the exhaust out through a front fender and I'd prefer not to route it out the back of the car. "any type of exhaust may be used and may exit anywhere from the body but the top" - Can I route it out through a hole in the hood? Is "top" the roof? I ask because hood is specifically forbidden in Gas Coupe. If legal, any reasons not to?

3. Is an extractor style vent in the hood after the radiator legal? Any reason not to do it?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Gussets, exhaust exit, vents
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »
Post cage pictures, there are several here that can help you with requirements...

Post pics of your car to show proposed work.

Welcome, I'll bet someone here can help.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Monkeywrench

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:50:58 AM »
Help me out a little- are the gussets in the main hoop only? I need to know which areas to photograph.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »
I don't know the style of your car but if your roll cage main hoops go from the frame you don't need gussets. Notice the word "shoulder" and then look at the pictures in the rule book. The gussets are for "dragster" type roll cages.

Some gas coupes have their exhaust exiting infront of the front tire if this helps

Is an extractor type vent in the hood a "louver"?...........Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 04:38:46 PM »
I read page 66 of the 2008 book (BNI members get their books last so I don't have a 2009 yet) to say "The following are not permitted:---air vents----exhaust outlets through the doors or hood---" Pretty well leaves out the after radiator vent and exhaust as you describe it. Jim is right, on a BBC Monza i was involved with we found running the headers up and forward before going down and out in front of the tires was the answer. Gary also milled some off of the exhaust ports face of the heads o gain some room. Do not forget, Gussets are cheap and wont hurt that I know of. May help.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:40:23 PM by RichFox »

Offline Monkeywrench

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 05:54:40 PM »

Here is a view from the back. The hoop goes to the "frame rails" - the box sections that run along the perimeter of the unibody. Another detail- it mounts to steel plates which are formed and welded to the "frame rails." They are not bolted because of the irregular shape and impossibility of getting to the back side with a nut. Is this ok? The plates are as big as the rules require. It's NHRA legal.

I'm all for adding gussets but the cage is built and painted so I'd rather not cut it up.

Yes, the hood extractor would essentially be louvers. More like one big louver that would be entirely below the surface of the hood.

Thanks for the input!

Offline Monkeywrench

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 06:00:02 PM »
I read page 66 of the 2008 book (BNI members get their books last so I don't have a 2009 yet) to say "The following are not permitted:---air vents----exhaust outlets through the doors or hood---" Pretty well leaves out the after radiator vent and exhaust as you describe it.

Definitely not legal for Gas Coupe. But for Altered Coupe?

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 08:22:13 PM »
If nothing has changed Bobby Sykes, Jr.   drylakes207@yahoo.com    is the person who can answer these questions with some authority. I am just giving my opinion. Take pictures, make drawings, do what ever you can to explane what you want to do and send it in for a ruling. Better than being in inspection trying to tell somebody "Rich Fox said it would be ."OK

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 09:12:29 PM »
It's NHRA legal.

Thanks for the input!

Keep in mind this is not the NHRA. Our rules are generally stricter than those of other organizations. Most tech guys don't care one bit if it passes NHRA tech. Kepp that in the back of your mind and you'll be OK.

The car looks good. Hope to see it soon. Good Luck!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 12:59:32 PM »
From what I see you don't require gussets. But ou will nees a lot of head protection unless your planning it all in the seat and I'm not sure that will be enough maybe we can't see it all. Like stated above much of the NHRA stuff does not pass. A Pro-Stock style car around the head area looks very good but must meet our requriements. As stated by Rich it is always best to contact the committee chairman. Good luck............Sorry if the paint doesn't work out..............
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Monkeywrench

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 03:21:56 PM »
Head protection is the only structural change planned for the interior.

I know LSR/=NHRA - that's why I'm on here!  :-D

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 10:20:26 PM »
Monkeywrench,

Nice looking paint job on the cage....

Check out  ISP  they have great contsinment seats and retro fit  head and shoulder restraints that will work on most racing seats... they bolt on to the seat and when your seat is secured to the car frame and cage,,, you can grab the head restraint and rock the entire car,,, very good deal... this way you would not have to do any cutting or welding to your existing cage (as far as seat, and head containment goes) 

Good luck, keep us posted.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Monkeywrench

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 11:44:25 AM »
Great tip on the ISP head restraint. I now have one on order.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 10:43:39 PM »
Great, I am picking mine up Monday or Tuesday.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Monkeywrench

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 05:15:22 PM »
Great tip on the ISP head restraint. I now have one on order.

Got it and this thing is intense. Definitely worth the money.

The rest of the car is coming along well. Thanks for the help guys.