Author Topic: Thanks to All Volunteers  (Read 9722 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Thanks to All Volunteers
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 08:32:10 PM »
Indeed, Joe -- you've hit upon one of the issues that'll be resolved before the next event.  I'd expect the easy way will be to emulate the SCTA with stickers that can't be removed without damage -- so the dude would end up with a fractured sticker that'd be instantly noticeable.  Yes, you're right about putting the event and the organization in jeopardy.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline t russell

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 10:58:38 PM »
I do the best I can but every car that I inspect as it go down the track I ask my self DID I miss any thing.
terry

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 11:11:27 AM »
When I say "it worked out....".  I was able to snag the guy with the Harley w/ape hanger bars (I apologize that I can't pull up your name) from shut down and he came to inspection to do a few that showed up mid-day on Saturday.  Terry and the Matys (and Keith, IIRC) did the same for the car folks.  I didn't mean to imply that more improvements would not be useful and I'm pleased that y'all are working out methods to make this work better.

Again, thanks to all who pitch in at this critical area.

Dan

Well, Dan -- maybe it worked out great from your point of view, but things could have been a little more smooth from the point of Todd and me and the others that inspected.  At one point I had Nancy mosey to the middle of the return road and shoot a photo of the line of bikes awaiting inspection.  It looked about a mile long.

We're working on smoothing the inspection process with a new rule or two about how to get into and through inspection at Maxton.  Come visit us in mid-May -- you'll see, I hope.  Smooth and quick and not too much cranky time in line.
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 11:21:15 AM »
You know, our cell phone numbers aren't a big secret and we've usually got a good hour or so wait in the staging lines & it's far better to grab an active tech that's up on the current rules then just some guy riding around on a bike...   just a thought! ;)

Terry,
 Todd has taught me and other techs that always doing a thorough job while teching, despite how annoyed the techee gets, relieves one's mind when that vehicle leaves and goes to run. Todd and I teched DaveO's bike (and we made him fix stuff too!). We've thought about it briefly as most humans would, but there was no doubt and nothing to dwell on. Not saying you're not doing the job, just saying you should do the job to the point that your conscience is free. We all make mistakes and miss stuff but that's why we have more then one tech!

just my thoughts.
Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 12:27:06 PM »
Deb---I agree, when I am inspecting I am guided by the rules, concerns for the driver-riders safety, and most importantly--- MY CONSIENCE.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »
Deb -
I have regarded inspectors in the staging lanes as "out of service" - that's your time to race.  If you guys want to alter that I am, of course, happy to go along with your decision.  The guy I grabbed was regarded by Keith and all as highly qualified - again, I apologize that I can't pull up his name - maybe someone can remember who he is.  His is a name I've heard, for sure.

Please keep me abreast of whatever procedural changes you decide on so I can implement them from my end.  Like with my service to Keith and the rest of the ECTA, my job is to do what you decide you want me to do and I just want to make your jobs as easy as possible.

Dan

You know, our cell phone numbers aren't a big secret and we've usually got a good hour or so wait in the staging lines & it's far better to grab an active tech that's up on the current rules then just some guy riding around on a bike...   just a thought! ;)

just my thoughts.
Debbie

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 03:38:37 PM »
Dan, Deb and others

SCTA has a printed operating procedure for El Mirage. You should be able to pull it up on the web site. It is updated each year. You might want to print it out and see what you think and make something like it for Maxton. Your venue is different and having something in print that can be given to the racer would get everyone on the same page.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline t russell

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 05:00:47 PM »
Deb---I agree, when I am inspecting I am guided by the rules, concerns for the driver-riders safety, and most importantly--- MY CONSIENCE.
That is the way I do it but I'm anel or is that just an az :-D
terry

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 12:28:51 AM »
Terry,

You and all the other Tech's are very thorough, detailed and quite helpful,,,It may not be said often enough,,
But we all appreciate the job you do,, looking out for all our safety needs and concerns...

Keep up the good work...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 07:10:59 AM »
Starting with the May event, The ECTA will be using tamper-proof helmet stickers. The pre-press sample was approved yesterday.

Joe Timney
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 08:08:19 AM »
Starting with the May event, The ECTA will be using tamper-proof helmet stickers. The pre-press sample was approved yesterday.

Joe Timney

:cheers:
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 01:38:34 AM »
Just a note about the lanyard. I got one of those inexpensive kill switches . with a red plastic coil cord . I gave it a yank and it just pulled out of the metal clip and left the plastic plug still connected .

Bart suggested I use an old phone cord to replace it . The cord has metal inside so it is much stronger and comes in different colors.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline White Monster

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 04:49:48 PM »
Joe Timney

Excellent

Looking for the helmet tag is one of the things I look for on the Starting Line, before I wave them off on a run.

I think I can say for the entire Starting Line team, that we look forward to seeing what a tampered one looks like, so I can look out for them.
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »
Dan, I'm still awaiting your response to my email of a week or so ago.  In case you've misplaced or lost it or didn't get it -- I'd like your esitmate of the number of volunteers that'll be working at Maxton this month.

Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 11:22:40 PM »
Jon -
Thought I replied to that one.  Oh, well - been TRYING to get the Buzz Bomb to the track for this meet so I'm a bit preoccupied. 

Anyhow - not to be obtuse (or chartruse) but I never really know how many vols.  Some folks check in, some don't and some ALWAYS show up - unless they don't.  I'm expecting 20 or so, but I never really know until folks get there.  If we get a big enough volunteer pool I'd love to set this up better with a schedule and so forth, but so far there just isn't enough consistency to make that work.

Dan