Author Topic: Future Security at Maxton - Possibilities ?  (Read 8841 times)

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Future Security at Maxton - Possibilities ?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »
Thanks Jon! Yes, that's "Hollywood" & his bike.

The seat/tail/tank are all altered but beyond the stickers on the fairings I'm not sure that there's much else "uniquely" altered. Best we can do at this point is to keep our eyes/ears open and report to the authorities if anyone now recalls seeing anything suspicious or of course if you see any of these parts up for sale. Oh & if you see them up for sale online PLEASE report it to the authorities & don't go blabbing it all over the internet!! We want to catch these jerks & we don't want to give them a heads up online that we're on to them! ;)

Yes a Hayabusa, I believe a nitrous one, was stolen from the Hampton Inn as well. Of course we can only provide for security at our track. All your normal security precautions should be taken elsewhere. I've never felt very secure about our cargo at any hotels but we do the best we can to be safe when traveling.

As for Rick, he's been racing with us since Oct 2006. He's always been a pleasant & enjoyable competitor. I spoke with him briefly before he spoke with the PD and I have to say his demeanor was MUCH better then mine would have been at the time!  :-o

You have to wonder why it happens to the nice folk and not the kind of people that are a pain in the tush that you wish would just go away anyway!  :-D (not naming names! LOL )

Debbie

Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 12:05:48 PM »
The ECTA has never had any problems at the airport with theft while we have been racing until now. We have always had security through Charlotte Air Security team. This obviously was not enough. In addition we have learned that there has been a rash of theft in the area in the last few months, attributed to the state of the economy. The ECTA is in the process of hiring a officer to patrol all night for the rest of the season.

We are all very sorry and upset about these thefts and urge all competitors to protect themselves by safe guarding their property.

Joe Timney
President ECTA
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 12:10:27 PM »
Way to go Joe and the entire ECTA Board.

Thanks for your prompt attention and for this notice.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 08:58:57 PM »
Wow ... they were parked right where I usually pit ... I have always left my bike right on the concrete with a cover on it overnight ... makes me glad I missed this meet ... mine could have been just rolled away ... but then again, who would steal a Harley?

Joe

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 10:01:11 PM »
... but then again, who would steal a Harley?

Someone with tools?

See ya next month Joe,
Todd

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 08:53:08 AM »

Someone with tools?

See ya next month Joe,
Todd

Who says Todd can't be funny....  :-D  That was funny, glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that  :cheers:

It is unfortunate that LSR was attacked at Maxton, we rarely think about the possibility but it is apparent that all the venues need to.  The salt has been safe, but it always has had security at night.  Sorry to hear about the theft.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 10:39:45 AM »
 make anything as hard 'to get' as possible and the wrongdoers
 should move on without it. how many times has that been written?

on the other hand,  'if they want it bad enough , they'll get it'

hope they are found.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 10:44:17 AM »
They went after my bike also.  I found the cable that locked the 600 and 250 together missing Sunday morning.  The 600 had been pushed forward about a foot.  I guess the wheel locks stopped them.  Either not enough of them to pick the bike up, or just becoming to complicated.  They had turned the steering damper down to zero to help it turn easier.  It happened between midnight (the wheels in time guys were across from me and up until then) and 4:45 when I came in Sunday morning.  The crazy thing is there was a guy under a canopy sleeping 20 feet away and a motorhome on each side of me.  The wife is a Detective in Granville County NC and the going rate for off duty security is usually $20 an hour.  We went through this same type of thing at the roadracing facilities and it took security to stop it.  I guess I was very lucky.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 12:23:21 AM »
The problem I have with this is that they adjusted the steering dampner to make a bike easier to turn.  Between that and targeting specific bikes it suggests more than common thieves triggered by the state of the economy.  There were probably over a dozen bikes out there without any locks on them at all, unless I was the only idiot to do so  :roll:, yet they chose to work on one with a security cable.  Maybe my lowly Ninja being right next to the rv was a deterrent but I am guessing there was was some fine machinery not locked down out there.  Also strange that they didn't load up on tools etc... as amateurs usually would. 

I didn't hear a bike pull out which suggests they had a trailer.  'Smart' enough to target bikes and adjust a dampner probably means smart enough to have a non-descript enclosed trailer to get away with.  Hopefully, not so smart that they would have brought it in early and spent the day with us targeting a bike.  I didn't note any post with the timeframe of the theft.  Darkness in the pits was nice for sleeping but maybe we need to lite it up a bit with whatever power we have available.

Hopefully, the new security includes some signage stating it is there will deter any future attempts.  That should at least make them have a doubt before going in.

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 07:24:28 AM »
Milton I think I was right next to you.  It was between midnight and 4:45 am as I had people up across from me until midnight and I arrived at 4:45 am.  You are right.  A friend had a GSXR 750 on a stand and only covered up that was an easy take, but was never touched.  Again, there was a guy under an open canopy sleeping right across from my pit.  They could have easily picked up the 250, but left it sitting there.  Go figure.
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 10:34:39 PM »
Heck I was just across from you roadracer, I had my 14 on the rear stand covered up. no lock. It was locked the night before. But having the wheels in time Harley guys right there I felt pretty safe. I wouldnt want to mess with them. Maybe thats why we got lucky. Too much of a chance at that part of the pits?? Either way it sucks that some suckers would defile our sport like that and take someones machine.

Security would be a big plus. I would pay a little extra for registration to ensure we all had the night time security to keep people honest. What would 5 extra bucks do per entrant to cover security for each event?

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 03:57:31 PM »
  I leave my bike in the pits at night under a cover on a stand. I have always bin afraid to leave it down on the start line over night.
My plan is to lock it to my folding aluminum loading ramp. That way if it moves at night it will make enough noise to attract attention .

And if the bike gets stolen I wont need the ramp any how  :-D
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 08:57:18 AM »
Security, not locks is the answer.  You can lock it to a trailer, but if they want it they will get it.  Remember the 1/2 inch cable lock I was using was cut and gone.  I've seen log chains cut before.  It's sad, but if someone wants a bike that is outside, they can get it.  The reason I feel like it was only 2 people is my bike would have been picked up and gone if it had been more that 2.  I know that years ago at the drag strip at Rockingham they had entire trailers disappear overnight.  It is good that more security is being looked into.  Unfortunately thats what it takes these days.  I for one, am willing to pay a little more for that protection.  The bikes are not safe at the hotels.  Security at the track will bring some peace of mind to you when you leave for the night.  Once word gets out that there is security there, they will move on to easier targets (the bikes in the apartmant complexes). 

Offline White Monster

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 04:39:04 PM »

Someone with tools?

Todd, you are soooo bad.  Funny, but bad.
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !