Author Topic: April Maxton results  (Read 17649 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
April Maxton results
« on: April 04, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »
Thought I would get a thread going. Somebody,anybody let us know what is happening.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: April Maxton results
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 01:03:04 PM »
Well, it's like this:  First of all, I'm in the pre-stage line right now.  We've got a good turnout -- must be 50 bikes, maybe 75.  I'm dizzy from inspecting yesterday and today -- and so are the other inspectors.  Lots of cars - but I don't see scads of cars - - -yet.

First run of the day was a memorial run by Josh Ownes, Dave's son.  Josh was in the lights when he pulled the cord on a packet of Dave's ashes -- we all miss Dave, but what a nice thing to start a race -- and a year of racing.  Res in Peace, Dave.

Then there were runs, runs, runs.  The event got started late because the ambulance didn't show up in a timely fashion.  We were thinking of having one of the racers ride down the course on a pit bike and toss it down the track so we could call 911 and get the ambulance here NOW!  Then one showed up and we started.

I've got a bunch of photos that I'll post soon, but for now -- gotta move up in line.  By the way, Bill Warner ran 244+ on his tune-up run, and we've had a car or two over 200 already, too.  Bright sun, temp about 65, 10-15 mph cross/rear quarter winds.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »
Thanks Jon, thats cool that Josh did that, RIP DaveO.
Good luck Jon.
What a nice " tune up/warm up" run at 244+.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 01:16:12 PM by fredvance »
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »
Okay, Steve Knecum on a Larry Forstall bike just ran a 228.282, and Mark DeLuca on the big-motor Forstalkl entry went something like 22x - didn't write it down, but the bike didn't dog it, for sure.

Let's see if I can get some photos from inspection.
Whhooooppps -- Todd and the others playing "Put the sockets back in the toolbox:

Ed Brinks in the RMR runs through at 155.065.  That's a run, not a photo -- I'll try to do both.

Gotta go move the bike ahead.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:23:47 PM »
Other runs:  Dean Sabatanelli ran his M/BF-1000 on a 206 run earlier this morning.  Cajun Kid's on the track right now.  He runs a 143.379.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 01:26:28 PM »
Okay, folks, you're on your own for a while.  We're at the end of pre-stage after this last move forward, so I'm  going to shut this down and tend to the running.  See you in a while.  Go to the Photobucket/SSS page and select Maxton April 2009 if you're anxious.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 01:45:41 PM »
Mark's all motor run was 226.47 MPH. Faster than his Bonneville record but not at the 229 Bonneville one-way. I guess one front brake rotor works.  :wink: He ran out of gear so we have high hopes.  Larry
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 01:48:04 PM by Larry Forstall »

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 03:40:52 PM »
Okay, first of all -- modesty aside, here's a set of photos showing me at the line -- and the bike after the first run down the track here.  I managed to put a bit on the 191.5 record -- bumped it to 193.8.  Gee, it's been a while since I get a record here.

Waiting in line. . .

At the line with Mark Amrhein, the starter:

Back to the pit, new record in the book:

Steve Benyo ran a 233 in the CentiMark Mustang.  Nice run -- went 238 at Bvile, but this is his best here.  What a fast car. . .

And we're on a break right now.  Bill Warner made a pass that wasn't quite what he wanted -- and left a piston on the track not too far before the lights.  The crew is doing the kitty-litter shuffle on the track right now.

Further on Bill -- the hole in the case was big enough to look inside and see that one piston was upside down in there, and someone reached in and handed Bill one of the rods, and. . .  Time for some duct tape and maybe JB Weld to try to get it back together.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:27:10 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »
Sorry to hear about Bill's powerplant.   :-(   Glad he is OK.
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 06:08:59 PM »
We're back at the Pine Acres Motel,showered up for the banquet tonight.  I'll send in more results in the morning.  Debbie, Donna, and Tonya promise to have the run logs us in a day or two.

Nice to see so many West Coast folks, and transplants, too.  Ed Safarik took photos, Mike Meirele brought him.  I don't know how Mike ran yet -- musta got a record, 'cause when I saw him he looked mildly happy.  David Freiberger is here taking Hot Rod Magazine photos (of course -- it's the HRM Shootout Weekend).  David is the past and present HRM Editor-In-Chief, remember, and it's nice to have him back in the LSR event world.  Too bad Rob Kinnan isn't here, though -- he was pretty good for/to the sport.

Let's see, who else from the west. . .  Well, there must be some.  There are quite a few Canadians here.  One guy from this neighborhood is moving to New Zealand in a year or two, so we'll pretend that the Kiwi/Aussie contingent is represented.

And a bunch of vintage circle track cars.  I'll get a photo of 'em later.  And as Nancy and I were leaving a slick new belly tanker (well, new to me) pulled into tech, so he'll be running tomorrow (I hope).

The banquet starts in a while.  I'll be back in the morning -- if not after supper.

Ciao. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »
Mark DeLuca made a second all motor run of 227.23 MPH. About time for tire warmers or a soft tire. No tailwind, more of a cross/headwind. Lets see what tomorrow brings. A big thanks to Steve Knecum who built and tuned the engine (Just a lowly Power Commander) and Mark who rode it so well.  LSL   :cheers:

McRat

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 07:35:09 PM »
Any diesel entries? :-P

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 08:17:02 PM »
Big congratulations to Mark,Steve and Larry. :cheers:
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 09:23:25 PM »
BIG RED
Rider Mark DeLuca on left and builder/tuner Steve Knecum. Thanks to Bob Carpenter for head and cams, CP pistons, Marine crank, Dave Dahlgren for fuel system and Dennis Murray for the big pipe. It takes quality parts to go fast. Thanks all.  LSL

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 10:24:14 PM »
First things first.  That photo of Mark and Steve doesn't do a good job of showing off the beautiful bike.  Nice paint, detailed to within an inch of concours condition (Mark does detailing for a living, folks), and sounds properly righteous with the nice pipe.  Congratulations to Mark and Steve.

Now -- the banquet's over and we're heading to bed for the night -- so we can get to the track in time for a couple of runs tomorrow before the end of the event.  I think I mentioned that we got a late stat 'cause the ambulance was tardy in arriving.  Rescue truck and fire truck were on time -- but anyway, we'll try to make up for the lost time by running a bit later than 2PM tomorrow.  And so Nancy and I are crashing now -- and I'll take the cheap way out and give you a link to the photobucket website page where I put photos from the banquet.  Click around and I 'll try to add some captions and information tomorrow, at least after the event when we're back in the pickup headed north.  Go to the SSS page on photobucket -- here's a link to it.  While you're there you might also look at other events if you'd like - they're all listed by name and date.  I don't think there are too many "family photos" - but there are some, so unless you want to see when Nancy's son got married -- stick to the race events!

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii147/SeldomSeenSlim/Maxton%20April%202009/

See you tomorrow, ladies and gentlemen.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com