Author Topic: Salt Lake Autorama photos  (Read 4709 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Salt Lake Autorama photos
« on: April 03, 2009, 05:43:07 PM »
http://www.chevyasylum.com/cruisin/Cruisin2009/Welcome.html

I tried to do a front and rear shot of most cars.  Got a lot of 'em, but not all.  I also included some detail shots and a few "personality" photos.  Chip Foose was there for an autograph session on Sunday...I got one shot of him for the heck of it but vacated that area pretty quickly.  It was a madhouse in that area.  It's amazing how much having a tv show can do to bring people outta the woodwork.  Usetabe that kustom car shows were only visited by real gear heads.  I remember the first one I went to around 1963 where I first met Ed Roth.  There were more cars than spectators.  Not any more.  Times have changed a lot. 

I've created print files of some of the cars.  I dunno how many I'll actually print out.  I may have to do a 20x30 poster of the Hirohata Mercury clone
http://www.chevyasylum.com/cruisin/Cruisin2009/20090327/1951%20Mercury%2001%20001_jpg.html just for old time's sake (I spose that's a double entendre.)

Almost all photos were shot on a tripod and most of them with a remote shutter release.  This kinda accounts for the blurs in the background...moving spectators when using long exposures, some as long as 3.2 seconds.

Last year the lighting just about drove me nuts.  This year, I did three things differently:  first, I did my best to work with the lighting to let it bring out the highlights of the cars; second, I used a fill flash that helped in some cases and finally I edited a whole lotta glare spots out in post processing.

Now it's onto other stuff.  But "car season" has begun in earnest.  (Wherever that is.)

Ray

Offline thrust39

• New folks
Re: Salt Lake Autorama photos
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:17:53 PM »
Hey Ray those are some superb shots of some great lookin' cars. I particularly like the copper orange pickup that had been really blinged - not cos I like blingy stuff but it looks so cool. The retromod scene is pretty awesome your side of the pond - will have to come and have a look some day. Have a good weekend and thanks for sharing your pics.
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs...     (Kipling)

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:28:13 PM »
      :-D :-D :-D Ray, as usual your photography is fantastic!  I acquired a '39 Chevy pick up that is going the "project" route.  Will post some pics when I get a new camera  (any choices on a mid priced digital, meant, suggestions).  See you around this year I'm sure.  Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 10:10:08 PM »
Ray:

I've had real good luck using an "Expodisc" to get the correct white balance under difficult lighting conditions. A piece from a white plastic bag held over the lens while pointing at the light source and setting a custom white balance is a very close second. Try it for fun. You may be surprised.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:16:56 PM »
Ray,  Thanks  for your passion!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »
      :-D :-D :-D Ray, as usual your photography is fantastic!  I acquired a '39 Chevy pick up that is going the "project" route.  Will post some pics when I get a new camera  (any choices on a mid priced digital, meant, suggestions).  See you around this year I'm sure.  Crow

Well, since I'm a Canon user, that's the brand I'd recommend.  There are several models that I think are pretty good.  The lowest-priced is a Rebel XS.  Amazon seems to have pretty good prices, so I'll use links from that site:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10-1MP-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/tech-data/B001CBKJGG/ref=de_a_smtd  That one goes for $489 with a 17-55mm "kit lens."

The next one up the line is also a Rebel...a slightly newer model (I don't understand why they always seem to have multiple competing models on the market at the same time) called the XSi
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B0012YA85A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1238775485&sr=1-1  It sells for $672 with the same lens.

Then there's the model I use, the 40D.  I really like it, but it's a little higher priced at $1100:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-40D-Digital-28-135mm-Standard/dp/B000V5QV4S/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1238775485&sr=1-24

That one has a very good lens, 28-135mm but I've found it to be a little long for general "walkin around" use.  I bought a Sigma 17-70 f2.8 that was used for the Autorama photos.  That isn't extremely expensive, but it's an additional $320 or so:
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-70mm-2-8-4-5-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000EGAMBW/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238814928&sr=1-15

Hope that's helpful,

RtR

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 11:50:16 PM »
Ray:

I've had real good luck using an "Expodisc" to get the correct white balance under difficult lighting conditions. A piece from a white plastic bag held over the lens while pointing at the light source and setting a custom white balance is a very close second. Try it for fun. You may be surprised.

Pete

Great ideas.  I like 'em!  Thanks.

RtR

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 07:57:15 AM »
RtR, I dont dare let my wife see the camera suggestion or there goes someParts--- :-D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:13:36 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 11:19:45 AM »
RtR, I dont dare let my wife see the camera suggestion are there goes som Parts--- :-D

Mum's the word, Sparky.  :)

RtR

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 12:08:46 PM »
 :-D RtR, Thanks for the info Ray, I will research the cameras and then go spend some parts money also.  Thanks again!  Crow

Offline AJR192

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 01:22:36 PM »
Pertty cool Ray. The white Sprint car owned by John Kiser was cool to see. We dynoed the engine for that car last month at Ramco. Your skills are exceptional.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Hi Ray, went through the picture.......great.....the light comes out very well......good job on that, mate.

By the way....to the question about camera......before you start to choose a camera.....you have to know what kind of picture you like to do...... :roll:........otherwise it could be happened that you spent the money into the wrong direction...
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 08:49:26 PM »
Pork Pie,,,RRRRRRR that!  /Crow   

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 07:57:27 AM »
Pork Pie,,,RRRRRRR that!  /Crow   

Crow.....

can you translate me this RRRRRRR into other words which I can understand with my short English :|

Pork...the only Pie
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 12:37:30 PM »
Pork Pie,  Yup!  I was a communication tech when I was in the Navy, (64-68) and the old habits are hard to break.....RRRRRRRRRRRRR  means, Roger that, or I agree completly, in comm talk.  Some times I even confuse myself with it.....Crow