Author Topic: Feel good story  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Wester

Feel good story
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:06:28 PM »
freud suggested I put this up for all of you to see ...

Here is some nice exposure for a great family who produce beautifully finished Cobra car bodies, rollers, lacking just an engine and transmission.  I enjoy my visits to their facility not only to see the Cobra bodies in progress but to check out their latest project.  Picture a modified 1940 Ford roadster body done in polished copper and mounted on a rear engined GT 40 chassis that was on the cover of Autoweek or a prototype belly tank intended for eventual Bonneville competition.  There's always a surprise in their shop.  The bodies are actually produced in Poland in a facility that made chain mail and cooking pots several centuries ago.  More recently they produced MIG 15 and helicopter bodies.  Other than the bare body shell and tube frame the rest of the suspension and all are CNC machined on site.  Bodies are rough with prominent file marks and visible welds when they come from Poland and they are finished complete with wiring, instruments, suspension, wheels and tires and interiors in their facility.  You tell them which engine and transmission you intend to use and they tailor everything else for a bolt in fit.  Unlike the original Cobra bodies from AC, the Kirkham's bodies are exact from car to car so you can replace a fender or other parts that can get damaged in use. 

You may have seen a Kirkham Cobra in polished or brushed aluminum racing at World of Speed.   In this case I'm not even sure the car body is one of theirs.  It's not often one gets painted.  The bumpers on the front are not Kirkham.  This could be a fiberglass kit and the Kirkham's simply ended up supplying parts for finishing the car.

Here's the story:  http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705294649,00.html

See the video:  http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6034840&autostart=y

I wonder where their products will will be placed for compliance with the passing of the new law in Utah on street rods and customs?

This talks about the new Utah law:  http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2009/13/utah-street-rod-and-custom-vehicle-bill-signed-law?fc_c=1257616x2840427x56786965

Offline Wester

Re: Feel good story
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:17:05 PM »
Here's some more photos from Kirkham's:  1- A CNC machined space frame with attached suspension pieces ...  2- More bodies in process ... Notice the right hand and left hand drive possibilities ... 3- Other projects.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 03:49:57 AM by Wester »

Offline Wester

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 04:02:41 AM »
This is one of the mirror polished Kirkham cars in the 130 Club get ready line.  The racing stripes and gumball are put on with Scotch Brite pads.  They attached a video camera to the roll bar to help remember the runs.  Instead of the bumpers you see on the fiberglass cars, these use the machined brackets for front and rear lift points, an easy way to identify the Kirkham products.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:06:41 AM by Wester »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:28:24 AM »
Bet that gets a little warm to touch....  :-o  cool car and good story, Thanks  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O