Author Topic: Donations welcome - nay, needed!  (Read 48337 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Donations welcome - nay, needed!
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »
You got the "eh" right Bob! :cheers:

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2011, 12:13:07 AM »
Oh, and it gets even more peculiar in Milwaukee.

"Aina', hey?" - which is a contraction of the contraction, "Ain't it, hey?"

A typical "sout sider" of the generation ahead of us youngsters might actually create a sentence worded something like this -

"So he goes down to da Pig and gets a twelver, der, and den he stops by the bubbler, cause you know, you can't drink beer all day, den he tries to park his car over der, where dey go to park da cars side-by-each der, aina' hey?"

It was culture shock moving here from Iowa . . . you betcha babushka . . . 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Freud

« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2011, 12:28:24 AM »
Now I know the source for the "secret language" if we have another war that needs secure messages.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »
My deaf son got new hearing aids last week.  I put on a Bob Marley CD, he liked it.  I put on Paul Simon's Graceland, he liked it.  I put on my beloved Honkytonkitis CD from our Beertown friend and, on track three, he pulled his right hearing aid out.  LeRoy twanging from the bandstand in the town that made Mel Famey walk us, scares kids, but I'll still be using it for background this year.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »
NEW POST dated 7 January 2013:

Boyoboy, the subject line of this thread just became way more correct.  This afternoon I was notified that the major sponsor we've had -- Speedway Motors -- is changing its online strategy to concentrate on banner ads on a few key sites -- and landracing.com is not one of those.  In other words -- oh, crap -- I am going to have to beg for money again.

First of all I'm going looking pretty aggressively for a replacement major sponsor - and then, if I haven't found one that'll fit -- then I'll start asking you kind folks to help pay the bills until I can find someone to take care of major expenses.  For the sake of any potential sponsors I'll keep rates and stuff like that unpublished, and also because I don't need to have other website owners trying to grab something (such as knowledge of rates and income) from us without paying us for it.  Remember that I've always tried to keep our sponsors limited to businesses that deal with land speed racing in a solid manner.  That's why you've never seen ads for, say, a nice automated condom dryer on landracing.com.

Hang in there.  If you really want to send some $$ now -- go ahead, and feel free to use the Paypal buttons on the site, or mail a check to landracing.com (the address is here and there on the site, too).  But - there's $$ in the cashbox to keep things going for a while, so don't worry that next time you log in - there'll be nothing into which you can log.

73 -

Jon a/k/a WA8GDW a/k/a SSS
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2014, 08:00:16 PM »
Wow - a year and a half since I made my most recent plea for funding for the site.  Well, not really -- but this topic is well-titled so I'll ask once again.  We sure could use a good bushel basket or two of $$to keep things running here during this, the hot season of land speed racing.

After all, with SpeedWeek there'll be lots of stuff going on, and the streaming audio from Wilmington and World of Speed and maybe the Shootout -- all take a healthy dollop of cash to do.  Regular expenses don't go on holiday just 'cause we're at the salt - hosting fees and bandwidth and such bills.

Please - use the Paypal button and send in something to help out.  Speaking of income -- Bill Reilly (Wheelrdealer) is interested in us running another AN wrench contest.  With it being only a month or so from SpeedWeek I don't know if you're interested - bot too much thrashing to do, and even more now that some of you are going to the USFRA T&T in a week and a half.   But - the wrench contest was well recieved, if you remember, and did bring in some sorely needed cash.  For that matter -- Milwaukee Midget has tried to get Dynothon #2 up and running but we had only middling interest shown.  And now that he's working 37 hours a day 12 days a week -- I don't expect to hear much from him in the next few days.  So - wrench contest or not?  And donations - please.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2014, 08:25:18 PM »
Jon;

It will help to put a link to PayPay here and say what name to use for a donation.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2014, 08:31:07 PM »
Scroll to the top of the page for the donation button.   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  Maybe I should remind one and all that there are Paypal buttons on every page of the Forum and a few other locations on the site, too.  As for what name to use -- click on the PP button and it'll get sent to the site's PP account, and you're welcome to use whatever name you want to tell me who it's from.

And - if you don't use Paypal you're welcome to send your donation via US mail to Landracing.com, 509 Dukes Road, Skandia Michigan 49885.  Thanks for the hint and the help, Neil and Mike.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2014, 11:09:22 PM »
Jon;

I didn't know who was getting the contribution if the "Donate" button was clicked. Now I do but it might help if it was clear who they were donating to. My name question is now moot. I wondered what name or e-mail you wanted contributors to use to donate money to you. That "Donate" button is already programmed to send it to you. Not everyone knows how this works-- this is why I asked. You do a great job and deserve to be supported.

The next time I call Speedway Motors to order something I'll suggest they re-think the LSR website support.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2014, 09:05:11 PM »
Well, well -- some of you have come out of the woodwork and donated to keep this site up and running.  Instead of my usual responding via the return address on the Paypal statements I'll list those that have arrived here - both to let them know that their support has arrived, but also to let them publicly bask in the sunshiny aura by being some of them that actively supported the site with $$.  Thanks. :cheers: :cheers: :-D :cheers:

Thanks to Bill Huff, Gary Perkinson, Fred Vance, John Hanson, Neil Albaugh, David Hosley, Phillip Landry, George LeCavalier, Jim Dincau, Skip Pipes, and - one whose name doesn't ring a bell - H & H Structural Contracting.  H&H's donation arrived via a check today, which, most obviously, is a fine alternate way to support the site.  That is -- you don't have to use Paypal if you don't care to.  Send checks, money orders, and what have you to landracing.com, 509 Dukes Road, Skandia Michigan 49885.

Further donations will be welcome and important.  For instance -- we'll have live audio from Wilmington next weekend, and we're going to experiment with video, too.  We have no real idea of how we'll do it - where to put a camera/some cameras, for instance.  Putting them by the microphone at the timing tower means all we need to do it hook the camera's cable to the console.  If we want a camera at the line -- we'll have to either put the console down there or figure out how to get the video that mile from start to timing.  And there's a good-sized cost to stream audio - $100 for one month - can't buy it for only a few days.  Add video and now it's $200 for the month.  Milwaukee Midget and Gregg Adams have been doing most of the hard stuff including getting the hardware together and setting it up at the race track - so thank them.  We're planning on streaming from World of Speed and maybe even the Shootout - and this "practice" will be invaluable for those shows.  And that, friends, is just one reason we need donations to keep things going.  If you know of a company that has a budget that would allow some spending to advertise on this website -- please steer them to me or send me the name of the company or better yet, the name of the person at that company to whom I'll send a solicitation.

Whew.  Thanks to all.  Back to Prairie Home Companion for me. :-D :-D

I added Jim Dincau - whose donation just now showed up.  Thanks, Jim.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:24:41 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com