Author Topic: Donations welcome - nay, needed!  (Read 48336 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Donations welcome - nay, needed!
« on: March 30, 2009, 01:09:24 PM »
Howdy, folks.  It's about the end of the month and the kitty from which I pay the bills is a tad lower than it needs to be to keep things up and going -- at least without having me toss in my own cash (again).  I'd like to acknowledge those that have been sending contributions, both via the Paypal button on the home page -- and also those that use the mail to send checks.  I've been trying to stay ahead of all donations -- by sending thank-yous and offering bumper stickers as rewards, and if you didn't get the acknowledgment after sending money -- let me know and I'll feel ashamed of myself.

Okay:  Please consider sending a donation soon, if you will.  The site uses money each month to keep the site running (Bob Clancy's charges) and to host the site (Dan Petersen's charges).  I'm happy to report that most of the problems that used to plague the site are under control -- and that is no doubt thanks to the work these two guys are doing.  As for the content and the hassles -- well, that's up to you and you and you and even me, and doesn't have anything to do with monthly charges.  I see that we've driven one of the regulars away from the site -- and he was a good contributor, too.  Dang. . .

So send a donation, please.  I'll send a pair of bumper stickers back to you (if you include a mailing address).  If you'd like to buy an old Salt Talks t-shirt -- send at least $51 and and address and I'll put a PAIR of shirts in the mail to you.  You're welcome to specify the year of the shirt and the size -- and I'm likely to try to find what you've requested.  But if I can't find it -- if we're out of stock of that one -- well, I'll try to at least get the size correct.  We'll soon be having a new item of "branded" merchandise for the site -- as soon as they get manufactured.  They'll probably be ready by the middle of May -- maybe even sooner.  And we've got a good supply of landracing.com t-shirts -- for a donation of $51.  Let me know the size you want, and include your mailing address.

But the bills need to be paid before then, so plan on a donation now and then, too!  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

Re: Donations welcome - nay, needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 01:31:35 PM »
Anyone using the "ForSale" section please consider sending a percentage to the site. If you use e-bay you know how much they take.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:54:25 PM »
JD has a fair point there.  He has done just what he suggests, and quite a few others have done so, too.  Just recently, in fact.  So while there's no requirement to pay up a buck or three from the proceeds of whatever you've sold through the site -- it helps all of us keep our individual contributions down while allowing the site to move along.  Thanks!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
What is a salt talks shirt?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 05:39:40 PM »
Two for $51.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 06:11:40 PM »

Offline Freud

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 07:16:57 PM »
nrhs sales, there is an event on the Sunday of Speed Week that is held at the bend in the road as one goes from the freeway to the end of the road. People that frequent this site attend. Food, drink, bench racing, 50/50 drawing and special t-shirts are printed. The shirts that weren't sold are stored and Jon now has them for sale.

That is what a salt talks shirt is all about.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 08:21:40 PM »
Wow, thanks, gentlemen.  Four or five of you have already sent $$ via Paypal, and some of you have offered some here on the Forum.  Noonan, I've got your address -- but do I have yours, Jim?  Send it via email if you will

Thank you very much, everyone.  I appreciate the show of support - and so will Bob and Dan when it's their payday.

Gotta get back to packing for Maxton.  We leave tomorrow afternoon for the 1,300-mile ride (going via Todd and Deb's place in Fburg, Virginia).

Which reminds me of a joke, sorta, that I heard from my mom, but I'll put that in the "humor" section.

Thanks again.  Final reminder:  Give me an address if you want stuff shipped to you.  Thanks again and again.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

trialsguy

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 05:13:05 PM »
Test post, that's all.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 12:02:19 PM »
Okay -- I've put this off as long as I could, hoping that the Christmas season would stir your feelings of generosity and get some moolah moving towards this site.  But alas, save for a few wonderful folks, there hasn't been much arriving at the universal headquarters of landracing.com in the past few months -- but the bills keep on coming in, regular as hurt motors in racing.  So I'm resorting to the old ploy - asking for donations.

Here's the story:  it takes a few hundred dollars a month to keep this site up and running the way it is.  I say it that way because as you may have noticed -- I try to keep advertising to a minimum.  Most of the ads that are here - are from folks that actively support the world of land speed racing and have asked me if they could contribute to the upkeep of the site.  (Side note:  I've received "flame notes" from some detractors trying to blame the lack of advertising on my editorial attitudes.  They're welcome to their ideas -- but the truth is that I think I'm right in keeping advertising reduced to just a few - so when you folks go to the site, to the Forum -- you get darn near 100% racing, 0% ads).

But ads or no, the bills don't quit.  Since last year's Shootout I've had to pay a higher monthly fee for bandwidth -- because so many folks get online and spend time here.  Super -- I'm tickled pink to have so much acceptance.  The downside is that it takes more money.  I've also had a comment here and there, by the way, that it's kinda difficult to use Paypal to contribute - 'cause the button leads to a long page that's cornfusing.  So I'm working on making it way easier for you to support this site.  Look for us to make it easier than ever for you to send money.

Thanks, folks.  I really enjoy running this site for you -- but not so much that I'll pay for it all out of my pocket.  Racing isn't all that cheap for us, either, and we need to buy expensive pistons and C16 just like you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline k.h.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 05:36:44 PM »
Hey Jon, have you got a snail-mail address up there with the U-Pers that we can use to send something the old fashioned way? 
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 05:51:54 PM »
To donate by mail please send funds to
Landracing.com
509 Dukes Road, Skandia, Michigan 49885
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline k.h.

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 06:29:04 PM »
Thanx.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
shekels sent.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 08:12:59 PM »
I PP'd ya Jon.

Thanks SSS , we just hit 100,000 views on our Australian Bellytank thread. It's been great fun, a great resource and we've enjoyed every minute of it..... a couple of times when I mentioned we were struggling financially we even had several members offer us a kick along ( "hey Fella , lemme help you out")...we didn't take it but we were very very flattered that people would even offer.

Thanks to everyone here....and have a safe , fast and enjoyable time at whatever you do this year.

BTW, check out the weather in Melbourne Australia today.......theys predicting 110F :-o
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 08:35:04 PM »
I think Jon is on the right track here, as in each individual contributing according to their utilization of this resource.  I'm sure the same few people over-contribute every year, just as the same not-so-few people don't. That's not meant to be a Carte Blanche insinuation, just more reason to compare this with a magazine subscription.
BRN or HotRod are among the most popular among the LSR crowd it seems, and valuable and portable as they are, the content on them is dated, and not available NOW like this venue. Consider the practically instant broadcasting we had this past September from the Shootout - that alone was worth a subscription charge.
My personal opinion, FWIW, a minimum of an annual $25  for everybody is a regular here is the LEAST you should consider.
Bob W