Author Topic: GEARSPLIT program under Win XP  (Read 33021 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: GEARSPLIT program under Win XP
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2005, 01:34:00 PM »
Dave, if you made a coastdown program I know I would use it for my cars. Thanks, Tom Gerardi
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline robin dripps

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2005, 06:06:00 PM »
Dave, the new program would be very welcome.  And if this, as well as the original Gearsplit program, were able to also run on a mac platform this would be fantastic. I know this is asking alot.

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2005, 06:23:00 PM »
I have no plans to do anything for a MAC platform if there is a windoze emulator for the MAC that would be your best bet. For right now that is my stand in the future if any complilers and linkers come out that will do both windoze and MAC it might change but until then i see little hope for any MAC stuff.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2005, 12:45:00 AM »
Keith - If you are interested these are the coast down formulas . Speeds are in Ft/Sec (mph x 1.47)

If you're timing the seconds to coast from speed (A) to speed (B):
   (A) minus (B) divided by coast down seconds divided by 32 x car wt. = drag in Lb.

If you're seeing how much speed you loose while coasting for a given distance:

Speed lost x 2 divided by coast down Ft x car wt. = drag in Lb.

Lb drag includes aero and rolling friction and is for the average speed . The greater the change in speed the more the drag curve affects the accuracy . The accuracy is as good as the speedometer and the observers eye & thumb .

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »
aero and rolling have to be separated to get any meaningful answer.
 Dave

deadbolt

GEARSPLIT program under Win XP
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2006, 04:15:05 PM »
This GearSplit sounds very interesting, where would I find a copy of it?

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Dodge pickup Cd:
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2006, 11:44:06 AM »
Headshot, I read were you think that the Cd on you Dodge pickup to be around .5. NOT EVEN CLOSE! Your truck is not a brick, it's two bricks! A short one setting on top of a long one. The Cd for the bottom may be some place below 1.0 because of its length but the cab, being so short probably has a Cd above 1 and combined  you have a brick! It is not the shape of the front of the car it is the shape of the back that counts most.

Paul Van Valkenburgh has a good discription of finding the Cd via the cost down method in his book "Race Car Engineering and Mechnics".

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Dodge pickup Cd:
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 01:29:57 PM »
Quote from: Rex Schimmer
Headshot, I read were you think that the Cd on you Dodge pickup to be around .5. NOT EVEN CLOSE! Your truck is not a brick, it's two bricks! A short one setting on top of a long one. The Cd for the bottom may be some place below 1.0 because of its length but the cab, being so short probably has a Cd above 1 and combined  you have a brick! It is not the shape of the front of the car it is the shape of the back that counts most.

Paul Van Valkenburgh has a good discription of finding the Cd via the cost down method in his book "Race Car Engineering and Mechnics".

Rex

Saw a recent Myth Busters where they drove two identical pickups down the highway until they ran dry with one following the other.  It was a long ways on a full tank, over 300 miles if I remember right.

Anyway the test was to see if the tailgate was down if you got better mileage.  Well the one with the tailgate up went quite a bit further.  

They said, I don't know if it is true or not, that the newer pickups are designed so that with the tailgate up it makes a bubble of air circulate back forward to the cab and up the back of the cab which then tumbles in a circular motion that stops the air going over the top of the cab from getting sucked in behind the cab thus streamlining the air flow (Some of the F1 cars use diverted air to help with the airflow around the open wheels and I've considered experiment with that later on my lakester if it ever actually runs.).  

Hope you understand what I was trying to explain :roll: .  I think they even put Styrofoam balls or something in the back to see how the air really was circulating and it followed the above statement.

Disclaimer:  All of the above could be true or a myth since I saw the show a couple weeks ago and at least 1/2 of those memory cells are no longer with me :cry: .

c ya, Sum

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 10:33:21 AM »
You can run XP programs virtual in WIN7! There is a demo at the link on the jpg!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 11:01:35 AM »
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz