Author Topic: Whats the problem with The Unlimited land speed record?  (Read 157395 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Whats the problem with The Unlimited land speed record?
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2016, 12:31:45 PM »
Constructive critical evaluation backed up by data is always welcome.  Sometimes I get negative feedback.  In these cases I ask for specifics and discuss the problem with the polite and respectful attitude that they might be right.  They are correct more often than I like to admit.  All most always we have a decent relationship after that point.  Many times I thank them for the advice.

A very small percentage of the population are knuckleheads and that tactic does not work.  In those instances I use the delete button on the computer or turn and walk away if it is a personal conversation.  It is best to stay above negativity as mentioned in the previous post. 

Offline martine

• Vero Drive - Advanced Driving Coaching
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2016, 02:36:09 PM »
Well put 'Wobbly'.

I am an outsider in as much as I'm not an engineer, not a racer and live in the UK - but I have an interest and do help with Bloodhound as an ambassador.  When Blue stated things like 'they will never reach 1000mph' etc I simply wanted to know why he thought that - I am not in a position to argue technically but it seems Blue is not prepared to enter in a dialogue and lower himself to explain a little of why he says that - and that is his prerogative of course.

I genuinely wish all competing teams the best - I hope they keep safe - in fact some in Bloodhound would quite like the existing record to be broken by another team and then for Bloodhound to break it again.  It would make more of a media story which would only be good for WLSR racing in general.
Martin - Bloodhound LSR ambassador

Offline tallguy

« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2016, 12:43:45 AM »
I "second" that idea.  For quite some time, I have been following the progress of the
North American Eagle.  I think the team's goal is to break the land speed record, and
then "retire" from future attempts.  If Bloodhound or the Aussie Invader breaks the
record first, bumping the speed to about 900 mph, then the NAE may be history, unable
to break this new record.

For this reason, and also because both Bloodhound and AI are aiming at 1000 mph,
I hope that NAE is the next ALSR holder.  I think they want to get into the record
book(s), then quit.  I'm hoping this happens, and believe that it won't much bother
them if their record is later broken by others.  In fact, it's likely that I will contribute
some money to all three of these teams eventually, even if it may not be at the same
time.

I'm a fan of all these (thrust-powered car) teams, and, to a somewhat lesser degree,
all the other land speed teams and individuals.  I think land speed racing is great, and
wish all participants eventual success --even knowing that sometimes it takes decades
of trying, and sometimes it will never happen for an individual.  But I appreciate the
effort nonetheless.

Offline Graham

• Fluids Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Projects - FLIP
« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2016, 02:16:52 PM »
Don't worry PorkPie, nobody that's serious about land speed record racing needs to take any real notice of these things, especially when there's a pattern that makes it not particularly personal. Years and years of masturbatory self-deification - and pompous snarking at others - don't actually help anyone set their own speed record with their own design, as well we have seen! So some will preserve and celebrate a glorious history, some will help make that history, some will follow a sport with positivity and admiration and support, and some will just disappear without a trace in a loud grumpy pile of despair with the worst case of the "ifonlythey'dlistenedtomeeeeeee!"s ever. So, onwards and upwards =)
Graham Doig
Fluids Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Projects - www.thinkflip.net
Aerospace Engineering Department
California Polytechnic State University

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2019, 06:36:34 PM »
Bloodhound P.R. -- "mind-blowing speeds of 500+ mph".

The only thing mind-blowing to me is the budget.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2019, 11:57:06 PM »
2016! Back to the future Stan!
  Sid.

Offline tallguy

« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2023, 10:07:52 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_speed_record_for_railed_vehicles

The unmanned absolute land speed record is an interesting 6,400 mph.  Manned it is a mere 632 mph ...

My (unmanned) vehicle was a piece of copper wire.  The payload was an electron (or a hole), which went significantly faster
than 6400 mph.  Sometimes I question the wisdom of people trying to break the absolute LSR (at a high risk of physical danger) . . . but I still continue to find it interesting and exciting.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 03:19:59 AM by tallguy »

Offline tallguy

« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2023, 03:18:12 AM »
Bloodhound P.R. -- "mind-blowing speeds of 500+ mph".

The only thing mind-blowing to me is the budget.

Some minds are more easily blown than others.  To the average person, 200 mph is almost inconceivably fast.