Author Topic: Maxton newbie - class question  (Read 5574 times)

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
Maxton newbie - class question
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:57:42 PM »
Alright, we are one week out, I am finishing up the bike prep this weekend. Ive resorted to hand drilling all of the safety wire holes. I will probably have more safety wire then most, as I will probably over do it.

To my question, I have been going over the 2009 rule book and I cant quite figure out the class my bike will fall in. I have a 2006 Kawasaki ZX14, stock replacement frame (mine was one of the cracked ones), stock motor CC 1352, racing air filter, M4 slip ons, stock tires, stock length swing arm, stock fairings, mirror block offs, steering dampner, power commander, TRE-006, shift light, stock wind screen, stock wheels, stock seat height, rear solo seat cover, stock gearing, lowering links in the rear, strap for the front, galfer brake lines, Flies removed, and my leathers do not have a speed hump, and I will be using premium fuel no race gas.      I listed everything, but I wanted to show everything that is done to the bike in case I missed something that would put me in another class.

With all of this and reading the rules, I think I fit in the MG-1350-4     I dont see a MP-1350-4    that is if for the G class the motor has to have something done to it internally as mine has not besides external add ons. I dont think I would fall in the PP-1350-4 unless I bolt up my stock pipes.

I understand the class break down, just need a confirmation as to where I fit. I want to get my decals but would like another set of eyes to check this out.

Thanks in advance!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:02:31 PM by 1mile14 »

Offline sabat

Re: Maxton newbie - class question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 02:10:43 PM »
Congrats, Maxton is a great place. Mark this date down, because your life may change from this point forward :D

Because your motor is 1352cc, you need to race in the 1650 class. Other than than, sounds like you are MPS-G 1650.

The rules don't distinguish motor modifications, unless you want to run Production, and then the bike only has to APPEAR to be stock from the outside. Once it no longer looks stock, you are Modified, and at that point as long as you in the right displacement class, run gas, and don't have forced induction, you can do as little or as much as you want to the motor. Altered is pretty much wide open in all respects.

-Dean

Offline sabat

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:12:09 PM »
Forgot to say that if you want to run in Gas classes, you must use fuel purchased at the track, and have your tank sealed.

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 03:55:55 PM »
I have the next few dates marked down!! My wife is picking up her new Ninja 250R today, and she is excited to race too, but she wont be able to make this meet.

Thank you for the correction!! I have 2 questions though. If the 1350 class has a max CC of 3000, why cant my 1352 be ok? Is it because it was not below 1350 as it came off the show room floor? And what makes me a PS partial streamliner? Is it the rear solo cover? I dont have a speed hump on my leathers, and all of the body work is stock. I dont have any problems running in the MPS-G1650-4 class, as im not looking to set any records,                 yet.

Offline sabat

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:37:28 PM »
Check the rulebook again, anything ahead of the rider that directs wind around the bike or rider puts you in the PS class. Naked bikes can streamline behind the rider only, plus the front fender. Since you have a windscreen, I'm guessing that you also have a front fairing, no?

The displacement classes have lower and upper limits, so a 998cc bike is above 750 and below 1000, a 1352cc bike is above 1350 and below 1650.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 05:11:38 PM »
Sounds like the only thing not stock is the mufflers, switch them back to stock or you are modified....
Fairing puts you in partial streamlining
send Todd Dross, Narider, a PM he can supply better info
I'm guessing you go 182.7 if you get a good tuck
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 05:42:15 PM »
I see two more things that'd keep you from being in "Production" class.  The shift light and the stainless brake lines.  The production rules allow for NO repeat NO visible modifications from factory stock.  Well, two things are allowed, nay required:  You must have a metal chain guard and you must have a steering damper.  They'll be visible -- and they'll be looked for and you won't be allowed to run without 'em.  And the rules require removal of mirrors and such, so you're allowed to run the mirror block-offs.  If you don't have a chain guard you can get one from Tiger Racing (advertises on this site), and steering campers are available from a number of sources.  The TRE is, I assume, completely out of sight -- not even wires are showing, right?

It's already been stated about the engine class -- and yes, it's a bummer that you're at the absolute very bottom of the allowable engine size in the class.  You'll be running against engines up to 1650 cc.  We know your pain -- we run '08 ZX14R bikes.  And it's also been questioned and assumed that you've got the factory bodywork on the bike - so you'll stay in Modified and not be in Altered.

Don't forget your race numbers and class designations.  Big numbers are nice and easy to read -- smaller ones, perhaps written with a dark Sharpie on blue painter's tape -- will suffice.

Our '08 with factory setup went 179+ on the one pass we made last fall. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »
Great replies fellas!! Thank you all for the quick and descriptive replies. I can go back to getting all of this safety wiring done. I have managed to break almost all of my 1/16 drill bits, and have to send the wife out to get more!!

Looks like ill be in the MPS-G-1650-4, I already have my number on the bike, on the rear seat cover, the class designation will go below that.

I hope to see you all in less than a week!! Ive spent 2 years wanting to get down there, looks like it will happen finally.

I wil be happy with 180, anything over is cool, I am just wanting to get a feel for this land racing business, im sure ill be hooked, im more interested in having my wife be a jockey and make some noise going fast.

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 07:51:45 PM »
You're already hooked!
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 12:53:36 PM »
SSS, whats a steering camper?  :? Sorry feeling a little friskie today/ smart azz.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »
Gee-zul-man, let the guy make a run over two bills and he thinks he can be a smart-butt at me.  Whatever, congratulations, Fred.

As for a steering camper -- I got it right the first time in the post, so don't I get a bye for the repeat insertion?  Unh, whoa, maybe I should choose a different word -- you'll likely take that one and go with it, hey?

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 06:31:55 PM »
A steering camper is like a Winnebago. You drive from inside UN like a tug camper you have to pull.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 06:41:27 PM »
I was breaking bits like crazy until I slowed the bit speed down and used oil to lube it.  Take it slow and easy :)  Also a question, isnt there a 1% (or some percent) fudge factor on the engine classes that allow it to be within x of the class limit?  I thought i had seen mention of that somewhere, though I dont remember where...
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 08:26:40 PM »
Naa I've done my smart-a for the day. Thanks and yeah finally getting over 2 does help the overall state of mind.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 08:30:40 PM »
SS-II:

ECTA Rule 7.B.13:  "Displacement must be greater than the maximum allowable for the next lower class.  To permit minor reconditioning of worn cylinder blocks in classes other than Production, it is permitted to increase cylinder bore diameter .020 in (.508 mm) beyond that which provides maximum displacement for the class.  In all cases, the resulting displacement must be exceeded to qualify for the next higher class.  The .020 in will be discounted for record certification and will be noted on the certification card and in the logbook."

Got that?  It says, I think, that you can increase displacement via a bit of an overbore, but only a little bit.  The subject has been beaten to a pulp here before -- and Scott Guthrie figured out and told us lots of ways that the results could be used to confusing advantage.  Somebody else is welcome to search the archives -- but now you've got the rule, at least.

Good evening.  I'm going to go shave.  Nancy's due home in a little while, and I don't want to cause unnecessary rash on her delicate skin.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com