Author Topic: Once or twice?  (Read 10236 times)

Model T Steve

Re: Once or twice?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 08:40:49 PM »
I would like to remind everyone; especially the new entrants that the place to get this type of thing straightened out is at the registration/tech inspection area. Not after you have waited in line for 5 hours. At the starting line we look at the person putting on the drivers suit for a green arm band and look at the car to see "175" stickers, red tags signed off etc. We don't look at log books, cold beers, big boobs or $100 bills! WAIT, maybe I should rethink that last statement.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 09:33:28 PM »
The reason we have a rule book is to put this type of question up front and prevent problems. In the last 25 years I have seen many car and bikes with a 175 mph sticker that come over to the long course and maybe run a couple of MPH faster for 3 timed miles. It's a courtesy thing as well. Most know how fast it will go. The faster car and bikes that can run speeds pretty much know what they can do as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 09:51:01 PM »

Looks like record protection. Like I said why and who!
  Depending on the day of meet this could add a day and more wear on engine and driveline plus fuel cost not to mention rip off hotel rooms in bendover

JL222 :x

Record protection!!!  :-o  :-o  :-o surely no one in the scta would make rules for record protection  :roll:

I'm guessing that like the $300 class change fee, it is to limit jumping... or record protection... either way, it appears this year we will have to re-qualify for the long if the log book does not show you have run the class qualifying for the long course. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

dwarner

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 10:03:14 PM »
While you guys circle the black heliocopters I will take your leave. I am sure you can handle all of this just fine.

See you in August,
DW

Offline mkilger

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 12:25:00 AM »
 Come on Dan AA/BFR  always have to pick on the roadsters, 295  :wink:

Offline jdincau

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 12:31:09 AM »
What 175 stickers, every time I ask they never have any. We havent had one since the last time we painted the headrest faring.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 01:32:17 PM »
I know Dan has been vigelant in his quest for keeping the records correct for the right course. As the one who made the timng tags I too look at those speeds. An unnamed "famous" car with many many records over 200 and many 175 stickers has been running in a class with a record under 175. Each year I would look and they were always going to the 5 mile. The speeds were under 175 and never reached the 175 in the 1/4 for sure. When I made the tags for the 3 mile speed and sent them off I would get a call saying what gives and I told them. The owner was a little miffed but I stuck to my guns. Back when I helped Dan in impounds I was also going to see if that car came in what speeds they were using.  Dan may have thrown the out if they were not following procedure.

Back a few years we did remove a bike record for doing exactly what every one is taking about. I can't remember all the details but the record was denied after the meet because of the infraction. If I see only 2 runs on a record both over 175 and I know it's a new vehicle I would question it. I hope the next people doing the records will be a dilligent. I would hate to see a record over 175 and under 180 that was set between the 4 and 5 without a run over 175 in the 1/4. The next guy could have his hands full trying to bump that record no play on the same level playing field.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jl222

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 02:28:24 PM »
I know Dan has been vigelant in his quest for keeping the records correct for the right course. As the one who made the timng tags I too look at those speeds. An unnamed "famous" car with many many records over 200 and many 175 stickers has been running in a class with a record under 175. Each year I would look and they were always going to the 5 mile. The speeds were under 175 and never reached the 175 in the 1/4 for sure. When I made the tags for the 3 mile speed and sent them off I would get a call saying what gives and I told them. The owner was a little miffed but I stuck to my guns. Back when I helped Dan in impounds I was also going to see if that car came in what speeds they were using.  Dan may have thrown the out if they were not following procedure.

Back a few years we did remove a bike record for doing exactly what every one is taking about. I can't remember all the details but the record was denied after the meet because of the infraction. If I see only 2 runs on a record both over 175 and I know it's a new vehicle I would question it. I hope the next people doing the records will be a dilligent. I would hate to see a record over 175 and under 180 that was set between the 4 and 5 without a run over 175 in the 1/4. The next guy could have his hands full trying to bump that record no play on the same level playing field.

Jimmy six  Thanks for all the years of great service :cheers:

Didn't the old rule cover exactly that? So why change it.

''Class changes will not necessitate re-qualification for the long course for attempts at records in excess of 175 MPH.''

What about a record at 250 or even 300? Now the ''next guy'' is going to have to search all the short course runs to make sure a run was made over 175 in the 1/4.

jl222

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 12:05:55 AM »
In 07 car # 462 set 5 records and 5 class changes over 6 days,  all over 175 all on 5 mile runs. I believe only two runs per class one qualifying, one record. Should this have been illegal according to these rules? I was very impressed with their hard work .Just curious?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:38:43 AM by wilcox garage »
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 12:18:56 AM »
It was legal according to the rules in place when he raced...

The way I read the new rule, they would need to take a pass on the short if they had not run the class before and qualified for long.
Stainless

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 12:26:09 AM »
It was legal according to the rules in place when he raced...

The way I read the new rule, they would need to take a pass on the short if they had not run the class before and qualified for long.
Thanks for the clarification I wasn't shure .
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 12:45:14 AM »
So if we run 290 and get a record and then deside to switch to fuel to go after Lindsay/Leggit 291 record, but run on our gas set up we have to reqaulify for the long course?  That is what I call B.S

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 09:41:31 AM »
if you dont like a rule try this...
http://www.scta-bni.org/SCTA-NewWeb/RuleChgForm.html  :-o
kent

As Kent suggested any scta member that doesn't like the new rule send in a form and make sure their club representative understands your feelings.  Maybe it will be different next year... or even before Speedweek if enough scta folks complain.  I'll guarantee that bitchin' about it here won't change the rule.  Yep, it sucks, will cause a lot of fast guys a day of racing if they decide to change classes but it is the new scta rule... scta guys can change it.
Stainless

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 12:44:26 PM »
Bvillercr. In your case I would ask the race director prior to changing classes. There have been many exceptions over the years and the director has the final word. (that's why he gets the big bucks). If you actually changed fuels and just didn't run with an unsealed tank and said it was fuel and were having a problem I would make the assumption the driver would pull off the course early and not limp down the 5 at 50 mph hoping it would clean out. That's when there would be a problem. Good luck..
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »
This rule make sense when your doing an engine swap from big to small, or a different fuel combination.  As for those that keep running while their motors aren't, they should be warned that if it happens again they would be put in the short course until they get their problems sorted out. :cheers: