Author Topic: Once or twice?  (Read 10237 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Once or twice?
« on: March 28, 2009, 11:46:47 AM »
1.F

Vehicle must qualify for the long course in the SAME class in witch it is entered.

When my car qualifys in H/BGMS do I have to qualify again when I swap classes for H/BFMS?

Seems like this would = a wasted run for a few people......

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

dwarner

Re: Once or twice?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 11:52:40 AM »
1.B.1   CLASS CHANGE:
A class change is defined as an engine displacement change, a change from Gas to Fuel, Blown to Unblown or a body change such as Gas Coupe to Altered. A class change will require a complete inspection of the vehicle, issuance of a new number by the Registrar, the completion of a Class Change Form, and the payment of additional entry fees.

Switching from gas to fuel is a class change. You have done this before so I don't understand the question. It is almost like saying "I think I can go 240 MPH, how about you guys mailing me my trophy".

New class = new qualifying pass.

DW

DW

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 12:26:16 PM »
I think he is asking if he has to do 175 MPH at the 2 1/4 on the short to be able to run the long again.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 01:11:57 PM »
Is this a new rule question

All vehicles, except Streamliners, shall exceed 175 MPH in the first timed quarter-mile of the “short” course before competing on the “long” course.
Vehicles, which have exceeded 175 MPH in the quarter mile trap on the short course, may be timed through the full five miles of the
“long” course at the driver’s option. A vehicle must qualify for the long course in the SAME class in which it is entered. Any
vehicle may compete on the “short” course.

Seems the new rule would indicate you should... in the past many did not after they got their 175 sticker, even after putting in smaller motors because the class record was above 175. 

JNuts, I'd exceed 205 before I worried about it.... then ask an official at the races...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 01:28:59 PM »
You can't skip qualifying no matter what you have done before.

The 175 mph short course qualifying rule I would think is negotiable. If the car has shown it can run over 175 mph on gas, then changing to fuel doesn't change much.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 01:31:44 PM »
Non-negotiable!!!! The rule is as Stainless posted.

Dean, I didn't read the first post in that way.

DW

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 02:14:43 PM »
Seems the new rule would indicate you should... in the past many did not after they got their 175 sticker, even after putting in smaller motors because the class record was above 175. 

I dont make the rules but still seems odd if a car ran well into 175 in the 1/4 and then added more HP by a power adder or larger motor they still have to prove the car could run 175 it again. I could see you needing too if you put a smaller motor in but......

Me personally I would like to see the rule (especially with 3 courses) that running the long course would be up to the person with the advisement that it is for vehicles that NEED 5 miles to get to speed. I remember the story of the phoenix having trouble qualifying for the long due to gearing but clearly needed 5 miles to really stretch its wings. I dont want to have any argument about the subject and will say no more and this is just my opinion (I would bet that before long some dips##t with a 50cc vintage mo-ped would think he too needed to run on the long!)

Again, I dont make the rules and have to play the game.....just sometimes the rules just make me wonder and now I have an answer to my question....as odd as I might find it (although I do realize that there are reasons why things are done the way they are without knowing all of the details).
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 05:27:33 PM »
JNuts, larger motors don't always go faster and lots of fuel cars run slower until they are sorted out....
The rule change is new this year, so I'm guessing there were abuses... I can think of a couple of occurrences in the last couple of years.  They had a reason for the new rule, we will play by it... (always remember who owns the ball)
Stainless

Offline jl222

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 02:43:56 AM »

I would like to know why and who proposed this new rule. Its a complete waste of time and money.

What the hell is a 175mph sticker for? Who is going to check what classes a car has previously ran?

This rule can be changed or modified.

JL222 :x

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 06:22:57 AM »
I don't believe this is a new rule but I think it has been clarified in the 2009 rule book. It has always been my understanding that if you change classes with an existing vehicle, that vehicle would have to re-qualify for the long course under it's new class, not including streamliners.
I also believe that there have been cases where a record was denied for not following this procedure.
-Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

dwarner

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 11:38:52 AM »
Scott has the correct answer.

Lets try this - a guy runs a AA/BFR at around 295 on the long course. Runs over the crank between the four and five and is done for the week in this class.

His brother-in-law has a four cylinder Honda he runs on gasoline, they plug it in for a class change. Should they be able to run the car to five miles in a class where the record is around 135?

I thought we were done with this subject,
DW

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »
if you dont like a rule try this...
http://www.scta-bni.org/SCTA-NewWeb/RuleChgForm.html  :-o
kent

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 12:30:28 PM »
Come on Dan, there is no dead horse that can't be smacked a couple more times...  :roll:

As for enforcement, your log book shows what you have done and the classes you have run.  Maybe the clarified rule should be enforced in inspection, if you can't prove it, your 175 sticker comes off... until you earn it again.   :-o  That might shorten the long course line for a day...
Stainless

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 01:27:17 PM »
Where is that dead horse icon that Romero used to use?

DW

Offline jl222

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 01:51:54 PM »
I don't believe this is a new rule but I think it has been clarified in the 2009 rule book. It has always been my understanding that if you change classes with an existing vehicle, that vehicle would have to re-qualify for the long course under it's new class, not including streamliners.
I also believe that there have been cases where a record was denied for not following this procedure.
-Scott

2008 rule book pg 9  section 1.f ''qualifying''   bottom of paragraph ''Class changes will not necessitate re-qualification for the long course for attempts at records in excess of 175 MPH.

Looks like record protection. Like I said why and who!
  Depending on the day of meet this could add a day and more wear on engine and driveline plus fuel cost not to mention rip off hotel rooms in bendover

JL222 :x
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:11:38 PM by jl222 »