Author Topic: Progress on getting Bike and Gear Ready  (Read 4185 times)

Offline MiltonP

Progress on getting Bike and Gear Ready
« on: March 27, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »
I haven't got my '09 rulebook yet but since I haven't seen any posts on major changes for bikes and gear I am hoping for the best.  I got a D-Ring added to my suit for the tether kill switch today luckily after finding my first to shop choices went out of business.  Also completed the wiring on the bike and installed my steering stabilizer.  Got the local Ducati shop to drill my front axle cap/nut and I have wire and pliers on order to complete that task on site.  Unclear about how much else needs to be safety wired to pass tech but hope to get more done at least the oil plug and drain.   Also unclear as to whether production chain guard will pass and whether the production metal squeeze clamps used on the fuel lines are ok but have alternates ready to install onsite if needed.  At this point I am thinking only the chain guard will be a potential deal breaker for me.  Hopefully one of the bike techs will be around Thursday to 'give me a hint' before I strip off the mirrors, lights, etc...   :cheers:

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Progress on getting Bike and Gear Ready
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 05:58:59 PM »
Metal Chain Guard, by all means.  Mirrors need to come off (if they are NOT part of the fairing and cannot be removed without surgery), and lights are okay as long as you tape over them (masking tape, painter's tape, duct tape).  You're welcome to remove or otherwise disable the bulbs so they don't get hot and melt the goo on the tape to the lens of the light.  Factory metal fuel line clamps oughta be okay.

See you there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 07:51:46 AM »
  I think the feeling is you should safety wire as much as you can. but don't go crazy . I did the coolant and oil drain plugs and filler lids. I also did the bolts that holds on the brake calipers and handlebars. my front axle is Cotter pinned . That is OK . You should safety wire the front axle bolts somehow.

The most important thing about safety wire obviously is to keep bolts from coming loose . But the secondary thing is to show the tech inspector and your self that you remembered to tighten the bolt . Hopefully you would not wire a loose bolt. (I have Don'T ask) .

but don't weekin anything by drilling holes in it. There are fancy washers available to hold wire or fold over the fastener in question .

Lock tight and a dab of paint will also do in tight spaces . Just do what ever you can and makes you feel safer.
See you next week. I was thinking of running the 500 before I started with my 250 . The 500 ninja is on my short list of Next race bike to build. So I am interested to see how it goes .

I used a chain guard from tiger racing that was meant for the 1400 Kawasaki . Maybe Guy will have one he can bring to the track . I went to the dealer and measured the hole and then ordered one . All I had to do was drill a hole in a different spot . Just an idea with time so short.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 07:54:40 AM by racer x »
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:32:07 AM »
I went to a sheet metal shop and bought a piece of 1/8 inch scrap aluminum. While there I had them do a 90 degree, 1.25 inch bend on their metal brake. Using the stock chainguard as a template I fabbed the rest with a small cutoff wheel and some hand files. Metal chainguard for $10 and about 2 hours work with hand tools. Just make sure it covers the whole length of the chain, since most stock chain guards don't.
ECTA 200 Club

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 10:09:11 AM »
Well, if the stock 500R chainguard doesn't cut it then I won't be running.  I am also trying to adjust the steering stabilizer so that it has enough travel as it is coming up short of the stops by maybe 2 millimeters on each side.  Stupid bike has as much steering travel as a dirt bike so it may require welding additional material to the stops on the lower triple tree.  Of course by the time the steering has come to the end of the range of the stabilizer, I would be definitely be in trouble at anything more than hand walking the bike but the rules are the rules. 

This crappy weather isn't helping my cause but I may get a few hours in today.  With my current luck I will probably dump the bike in the mud backing it down the now slippery wood ramp out of the garage.  Hopefully, I will get more light beyond a single bulb in the garage by next meet so I can work in there.  If not, and this weather stays the same I may just throw in the towel for the season since the funds are on the edge anyways.  Hopefully, some sun and 70 degree temps will cheer me up.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 11:54:17 AM »
Ok...So the chainguard is plastic but I should be able to get something done in time.  The way I read the rules it can be L shaped and only has to cover the top of the chain.  It does not have to be U shaped and come down behind it.  May see if I can pick up a 2' sheet of 11/8" aluminum and do it myself.  The rain appears to be done so time to look at that stabilizer some more.

Bingo...A bit of sunshine and off with the fairing and I got the stabilizer fork brace adjusted to a position were the fork stops work properly.  I almost feel bad about whining earlier!. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:20:13 PM by MiltonP »

Offline MiltonP

Safety Wiring Drain Plug to Cooling Fin
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:53:36 PM »
I am not see a bolt that i can safety wire the oil drain plug to.  There is a fairly tall and thick cooling fin on the pan in a good spot.  Any issue with doing that since it isn't going to be under high tension?

Offline MiltonP

Had a Good Day!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »
Steering stabilizer all set.  Made a cardboard template for a chain guard so have high hopes for that.  Did my first oil change on this bike which gave me the opportunity to drill the oil fill and drain plugs.  I don't have my wire or pliers yet but have the holes drilled to take care of the front axle and the oil plugs.  It was also my first time taking off the upper and lower fairings and that gave me an opportunity to pull the mirrors and front turn signals.  Did put proper hose clamps on the petcock main and reserve outputs since those two will removed more frequently. 

The bike is back together and running fine with the exception of the chain guard which should be made with some luck in the next 2 days.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 11:58:13 AM »
Milton,

Are you abandoning us car guys ?   LOL

Just kidding, I love bikes too,,,, have fun be safe,,, see you this weekend.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 08:07:09 PM »
Nope, I'm not abandoning running on 4 wheels.  I just don't have the proper facilities to take my car to the next level or the funds to pay someone else to do it at the moment.  I would also like to tow what I am running and I can't do that with the car at the moment.  I plan to run the car at least at one meet though late in the season.  I will say that so far it has been real nice being able to work on the bike myself and tow it easily.  We will see how I feel about running one down the track in 4 days!

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 11:42:36 PM »
The new pic to the left says it all.  Had a lot of fun running the bike.  Special thanks to Nick who got me motivated to drill those holes in my front forks and showed me how to use the safety wire tool that showed up just before I left.  Got four runs under my belt with the last being just 1.5 mph off the current record at 120.0 mph.  I stopped there since the fuel truck didn't have any unleaded left and I needed to pack up. 

Thanks also to all the tech folks and others for their advice and to the volunteers who make it possible especially my neighbor who took a look at my gen and was first to tell me that I hit 120 mph.  See you all next month when I am hoping to bump that record.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
Milt,  you looked good going down the track on the lil 500.. I still think your car is cool too !!!

See you in May.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com