Author Topic: Spring is here!  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Buickguy3

Spring is here!
« on: March 27, 2009, 08:48:07 PM »
   Well, Sringngtime is beginning to break through here in Montana. The snow melted off of our test track here in Columbus so we decided it was time to get some data-logging time on the SaltCat. We had done all we could do in the shop, so we made a three gear pass on the track and discovered that we had the waste-gate plumbed wrong and it went to 25+ lbs instantly, so more shop time was in order. We went out to make a second pass at 14lb and found the weak link. The T5 let go in 3rd gear. Stripped all of the teeth off of the cluster and 3rd gear. [too much torque for a stock trans]. Ordered a new Tremec TKO600 which will handle more torque and has a better gear split. It's one of those things:"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?" We're having a lot of fun now. More when we get it back together.
More Budweiser Engineering. Doug :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline GH

Re: Spring is here!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 01:17:46 PM »
Doug, we are going to run the Buick on the chassis dyno when we get it completed. Then we can have an idea how much torque these blown Buicks make. We used to run the stock open driveline Olds transmissions and we had trouble also, so we went to a Muncy 4 speed. Good to hear that's it almost spring, we are just on the edge of a winter storm with lots of snow going north of us.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 06:04:48 PM »
   Gary,
 We thought about a standard 4 speed and a Gear Vendors O/D but there isn't much room for that. We are using a 2.87 rear gear, and only running the engine to a conservative 4500/5000 rpm. We needed the O/D 5 speed for that. The TKO 600 should take us where we want to go. [May have to spool it up to 5500 to get to our goal]. Won't get the tranny 'til the 19th. Doug :|
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline GH

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:12:47 PM »
Doug, I run a Gearvendors OD behind a Jeraco 4 speed in my Stude. I'm real happy with its performance, I first ran a powerglide with Gearvendors behind it but found out that the automatic was not the way to go.