Author Topic: Berkeley tune up AK  (Read 42148 times)

Offline Nexxussian

Re: Berkeley tune up AK
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2009, 10:45:08 AM »
Already in there, but, thanks. :-D
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline hitz

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2009, 10:30:21 AM »
I didn't see any comments on the length of your intakes, so your calculations must be close. We must have used the same formula because my 1.9L Saturn ended out with 13" intake tracts. It was calculated at 6500 RPM. The throttle bodies are 46mm. Large for the state of tune.

You might check your roll over fuel stop. I rolled the tank over and it only worked when it was almost upside down.

Harvey

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2009, 07:43:58 AM »
Okayy, that's weird, lost an entry, I shall try again.

Hitz, if you mean the tank vent valve, I cleaned it and replaced the check ball after a bench test showed the crusty & rusty one that came out didn't seal off much smaller than stray children.

If you mean something else, let me know.

NEW PROGRESS

I anchored the cable so the throttle works (quite well too  ).

I have finished (except for paint) the bake pedal and Master Cylinder mount.

I made the pedal so I could select between 3 ratios.

Tomorrow hopefully I can get the brakes plumbed, it's the last holdup for the wiring (I have that pre fabbed but I'm hung on the install till I can make sure I don't have to reroute it, again  ).

NEW, NEW PROGRESS (as the previous is in effect a repost by me, probably operator error, by me  :?).

I got the brake hoses ordered yesterday, and checked on the nozzle hoses as well. The nozzle hoses were expected yesterday, but nothing showed up, so hopefully this week.

Not much I know, but we are very close mechanically, on the car at least, so there isn't much left, mechanically. :wink:

Erik

Offline GH

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2009, 09:04:20 AM »
I was just thinking about where you guys are located and how many miles it is to Wendover????

Offline hitz

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2009, 09:53:21 AM »
You should have a PM

Harv

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2009, 11:27:04 AM »
Harv, got it, you should have a reply.

GH According to Yahoo Maps, from where I'm sitting at the moment (not at home) and not the route I plan to take (I'm going through Medford, not SLC) it's 3139.76 Mi. each way.

As you can imagine, we're packing light and doing all the extra maint. to the tow vehicle we can think of to get better mileage. :roll:

Anybody know where I can get some ultra cheap diesel???

Yeah, I thought that would be a loOOOOOOong line, as usual, I'm late for it too. :wink:

Erik

Offline GH

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2009, 09:14:30 AM »
We paid as much as $4.50 for diesel last August, right now our diesel price is $2.19. Boy, you guys have a long drive.

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2009, 10:14:39 AM »
We paid as much as $4.50 for diesel last August, right now our diesel price is $2.19. Boy, you guys have a long drive.

:x Don't remind me, ours is still on the wrong side of $3, but nooooo, there's no 'price fixing' here (ya know there's a forum I frequent where they have a little red smiley shaking his fist and spewing every piece of punctuation available, kinda wish I had that to put here).

But I digress.

Yep, it's a long drive, looking forward to it (if for no other reason than it will get us out of town, wayyyy out of town  :-D ).

NEW PROGRESS

I got the brake hoses yesterday, they are actually DOT certified, not necessary but I figure it won't hurt as I've used this brand before with success.

It is a Teflon hose with the braided stainless to hold the pressure and over that is a translucent jacket that fits snugly inside the strain relief at each end fitting (pics soon). Ours are red (the outer jacket is available in red, blue, grey, green and clear).

I anchored the clutch cable mount boss to the pedal assembly as well, so that leaves the hard line between the hoses and a mount tab for the rear hose (each hose has a bulkhead fitting that's 5/8 18 on the outside, so the tab will be a simple one with a clearance hole for said size).

I hope to get the hard line bent to fit and flared today. It would be bitchin to get both the tab and tube done as well, but I can't bet on that as weird stuff keeps cropping up pulling me away from the work. :roll:

Only so much left to do though, so it can't hold out on me forever. :evil:

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2009, 06:46:58 AM »
Pops has the 6 point belts in, neither of us liked how they looked, so I ordered a set of 7 point from Simpson yesterday.

Shold be here middle of next week, I hope.

I got the master cylinder rebuild kit late yesterday, hopefully I'll get it put together and in today.

Pops got the fire bottle pull cable bracket fabbed and installed yesterday.

Pics soon.

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2009, 11:28:56 PM »
Pops has been working on the tow rig.

I got the new ground cable in, and the cable from the battery to the kill switch in (just not hooked to the battery yet, it's charging).

I tried the starter after putting the new ground cable on, it cranks immediately now, used to hesitate and kind of amble up to speed. Not any more. :-)

I changed out some of the engine mount hardware and double checked it was tight.

I'm working on a shift light mount, almost done with that.

Not a super productive day, but I try to accomplish something on it every day.

Still planning to go out and tinker a bit more this evening.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:38:39 PM by Nexxussian »

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2009, 02:25:39 AM »
IIIIIt's pictures.

Okay, that sounded way more lame than I had hoped. :-(

Regardless, I have a few.

This is a top view of the driving space with the pedals fully forward. You can see the throttle cable, the M/C and hose, the fire pull handles, the tach/ shift light, starter button and ignition switch (the cover anyway) and the shut off cable.

We plan to put an Adel clamp on the cable to hold it to the upright you see here.

A Driver's eye view of the controlls (the two cables I'm holding out of the way are the fire extinguisher pull cable safety pin tethers, that's driver's compartment handle on the left, and engine compartment on the right, if you were wondering). On the lower left you can see the aluminum pull handle for the tank shutoff.

Here is a look at the fire bottles and the clutch cable boot (it's aircraft firesleeve, I needed it long as the cable jacket is anchored to the pedals so the whole cable assembly moves with them).

Here's the positive battery cable I was blathering about earlier, hard to see but it's there.

In case any of you were wondering what I'm on about a tow vehicle with a box and a ramp door.

Here's two of the door and the doorway. This is taken at approximately the approach and break over angle we hope to achieve when loading / unloading the car (we're planning on some ramps under the front tires of the truck as well as ramps off the back of the door, they're quite long).

The mess in there will be tidier and the Anglia hood halves won't be coming with us, the air compressor is where we plan for it to live though.

The door winch will be wired into the truck also (so no loose batteries in the floor).

Erik

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2009, 12:27:06 PM »
Brilliant !

Just need a couple of hammocks and you have place to sleep !

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2009, 08:26:55 PM »
Yeah, we were working on that at one point with the other truck. This one would need a door handle that opens from the inside, and then theres permission form the nice lady at lands end (and I don't see that happening  :wink: :-().

Oh well.

Erik

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2009, 06:53:10 PM »
On the topic of transportation cost, I have never priced this but I figure it could be cheaper (and less stressful) to load the car and equipment in a shipping container and have it transported, dropped on the salt and fly down as apposed to driving. The loss of money from time off work, fatigue, cost of fuel, hotels, food and wear on the vehicle seems like it would add up real quick for driving.

I was thinking about buying a shipping container anyway……
Maybe this would be an option for me in the next year or so.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2009, 07:59:21 PM »
JH,
You need to be on the salt when it is delivered and make sure where it's placed is OK with SCTA. These truckers just want to drop them and get on the road. It would also depend if it was a roll off or required a large fork lift at your expense. The roll off can damage the salt if soft in the area you select. Another problem is if (God forbid )it rains and the trucker won't come on the salt to pick it up. Just something to think about.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah