Author Topic: Berkeley tune up AK  (Read 42149 times)

Offline Nexxussian

Re: Berkeley tune up AK
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 01:42:33 PM »
More pictures.

We got the new pinion flanges back from the machine shop and the brake is mounted.

We know we'll have to take the caliper off to bleed it, but this was the only practicable way (and it's fairly easy to remove, we'll just have to bring a piece of metal as thick as the rotor).

The big stir here though is the new injector parts are here. :-D

OOOO Shiney

I expect we'll have to trim them a bit.  :wink:

Work progresses, I figured I was due to post an update.

More when I get more pictures.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 05:12:34 PM by Nexxussian »
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 01:37:12 PM »
As promised I took a few more so here they are.

I have the Hilborn off at the moment so I had to see what it looked like with the 4 new stacks in. :-D

I was somewhat surprised to see the 'high fiber' gasket.

I guess I should credit whomever put it there for insulating the injector assembly from heat transfer (it is fairly thick). :-)

As the Hilborn is fairly large there was a fair amount of grinding done to make the ports match, just for reference to the right is a dowel that used to locate the factory manifold, one side of it is gone as the port wall has been removed there.

I suppose next year we will have to see if we can get the rest of each port to flow that much. :-D

This year we are going to run it as is (well, I might have to find another ceral box to make a new gasket out of  :wink: ).

Erik

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
Your Hilborn set up looks very much like the setup that I have on my street roadster except that mine is electronic and it looks like yours is mechanical. I find it interesting that the guy fabraciated the adapter manifold so that the injector bodies clamp directly to the manifold as there is a big chance that this set up could put some additional stress that can make the throttle shaft want to bend and possibily stick. One of the things that you will find with the Hilborn shaft being straight thru is that you cannot get the engine to idle well as you will have one butterfly that is closed and the rest of them can be slightly open and there is no adjustment. I have cut the shaft between the no. 2 and 3 injector and added a small flex coupling it helped but I need to to it between all of the injectors. The real trick is to use the Kinsler adjustable coupler that allows you to adjust each throttle independently but they are about $75 each. My injectors actually are connected to my intake manifold by heavy duty hose and clamps this is the way Hilborn recommends.

Neat project and engine. I remember seeing this car several years ago and it was pretty fast so it looks like you will have fun.
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 07:07:01 AM »
Yes, that's how they reccomend it now, I remember seeing these in an older catalog.

I suspect Hilborn discovered (if they didn't already know) exactly what you mention as I see the on line catalog shows a 'spigot mount' like a motorcycle uses (which is what you appear to have).

I also suspect that at one time there were likely sanctioning bodies that wouldn't accept any kind of hose in the intake tract downstream of the butterflies (if at all), hence the existence of throttle bodies like these.

These are manufactured to clamp to the tubes directly and the part that clamps down to retain it on the tube (more than the o ring inside does) is part of the casting each throttle body is made of.

Yes, the '09 rule book still lists his 'I' class record as being current. To my knowledge it hasn't gone that fast since the re power.   :-( 

We're working on that. :-)

Priorities at this point run:

1. Safety

2. Mechanical reliability

3. Speed

Nothing real major on the first two, not much more than off season maintenance type stuff. We'll see about the 3rd.

Thanks for the pictures.

Oh, yes ours is still mechanical.

00 pump

4BS nozzles

085 pill

Newly installed 171 rotor (or is that 177  :? I don't have that in front of me at the moment, it's what Hilborn reccomended).

SHINY new ram stacks. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Yes I keep coming back to that, c-mon, they're new (to me anyway) they're shiny, what's not to like? :-D 8-)

Now I just gotta figure out how long the intake ports are in the head, so I can do the math to figure out how long the ram stacks need to be (I can't leave them as long as they are, they would intrude into the driver's compartment  :-( ).

Perhaps after I get the stubs rolled over in the mount plate so I can mount the throttle assembly right side up (the nozzles pass through the intake stubs they are mounted to). I have it apart now, it was held together with epoxy, can't be all bad, it took a torch and a chain wrench to get it apart.  :-o

I'm alodining the pieces before I stick them back together. Mount plate already is, I have a bit more cleaning to do on the stubs before I treat them.

Pics of all this as soon as I get them onto Photobucket.

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 01:07:08 AM »
New pics.

First I have a picture of one of the throttle housings that shows the pinch clamp, O ring and the nozzle bore.

Next I have a picture of the intake adapter, or as I've come to call it the 'stub plate' before I took it apart.

Finally (for today) I have a picture of the intake mount plate after I alodined it. Not perfect, still has several marks, but I'm going more for function and both epoxy and paint should stick quite well to this now.

Erik

Offline GH

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 08:47:27 AM »
I'm not surprised at the Cheerios gasket material, I've made lots of gaskets out of all kinds of cardboard. I guess, that's common for us hillbillys.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 10:05:49 AM »
Hey, that was a quality name brand gasket, not one of those cheap generic substitutes.

Pete

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 09:32:33 PM »
Yeah, I was just funnin'. :-D

I usually see them made from beer boxes though. :?

More pics soon (have to upload them first).

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 10:56:34 PM »
Ah HA, upload complete. :-D

Here's the plate and the stubs just sitting together with the nozzle bores visible in the stubs.

The epoxy is curing in this one.

That's wax paper to keep the epoxy from bonding the stub plate to the head.

If you look real close you can see the reflection of the inside of the stub through the nozzle bore of the 2nd TB from the left (FWIW on this Cit/Pug engine that's cylinder #3, yes really).

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 11:34:30 PM »
Oh, I almost forgot, as best I can measure the short side of the intake ports measures 2 3/4" (just under 70mm) and the long way round (from the seat along the roof of the port) measures 3 3/4" (just over 95 mm) for an average port length (best I can tell) of 3 1/4" (82.5 mm).

With the stub length, port length (I'm using the average) and the internal length of the throttle bodies that means according to my calculations that to tune the intake for say 6900 (as the PO says it 'quits' at 6800) that leaves a roughly 4" (101.6mm) ram stack sticking out the front of the TB's to give a 12 3/16" (309.25mm, yeah, like I'm gonna achieve the accuracy of 2 places behind the decimal on a mm) tuned length.

If anyone sees a glaring error with my math or method, pleae tell me.

This is the length I'm cogitating on using for intial setup (ie as it would arrive a B-ville) and tune from there (if we get the far).

Erik

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 11:43:13 PM »
Cogitating?....is that like .....getting yr (gear)teeth into something?  you're not mucking around are you , nice work

since when did you guys talk mm?

keep it up,  :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 03:32:22 AM »
Cogitate (codge ehh tate, at least where I'm from), to think deeply or mull over.

Or as Webster says: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cogitate

mm? Since the US Congress voted to convert to metric in (IIRC) 1976 (err, maybe it was '73??), it's why California still gets federal highway dollars, and doesn't actually HAVE to post MPH speed limit signs (even though they do MOST places I've been there).

That and some good blokes from down your way are offering assistance with this enigma of a motational unit we have, so I figure it's only fair for me to share with them as well. :-)

Erik

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 01:21:45 PM »
Man ! ..I love that car.

Slightly small and slightly weird.

It looks just great.
All the best of luck with it!
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 07:34:34 PM »
Thanks, yeah it's small.

But I still fit, sort of. :-D

Erik

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 03:44:13 AM »
 :-D Small dont make yall wiered,  does it?   Crow   or is it , weird?   I dont know ...  I be just, weeerd!    Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!