Author Topic: Berkeley tune up AK  (Read 42143 times)

Offline Nexxussian

Re: Berkeley tune up AK
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 04:31:19 PM »
:-D Small dont make yall wiered,  does it?   Crow   or is it , weird?   I dont know ...  I be just, weeerd!    Crow

I believe it's 'wierd' and no, not amongst this crowd. :lol:
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 07:07:34 AM »
I've been trying to upload a picture of the plate with one of the stubs in it. Can't get it to happen, so I'll do something else (and then it will likely work, that's how it goes isn't it?).

One stub as the epoxy I first used didn't hold on the other 3, and 1 out of 4 is terrible. :x

I went back to the old standby, JB weld. It appears to have worked (at least so far). It's too runny so I had to bond it with the stubs vertical.

So I had it on that piece of wax paper and puckeyed the ID of the bores in the plate, and the OD of the stubs and pushed the stubs through the bores with the TB's on for alignment.

Then, just before I set it in front of the heater, I peeled the waxed paper off that I assembled it on, so I wouldn't have to grind out as thick of a 'donut' after the JB set.

Some time with a large flat file has the gasket surface serviceable again and a half round took care of the ID of the stubs.

On to further assembly. :-)

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 12:38:05 AM »
Not a lot of progress today, but here's a pic of the injector assembly with the support straps and new hardware (o rings and screws).

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2009, 05:45:04 AM »
A little more progress today, I did a comopression test on the engine. perhaps not stellar #s but serviceable (somewhat better than I expected).

I also have all the fuel lines out of the car now so I can replace the hose sections and re-route as required to suit rolling the injector assembly right way up.

More 2 morrow.

Erik

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 07:27:28 PM »
I must say I really enjoy seeing another MS on the builds.
In truth I am really impressed with your work so far. Initially when I saw this car was headed to Alaska I figured this build was going to be full of things like bear skins for gaskets, feathers for throttle blades and fishing line for throttle cable!

Just funnin’
 ~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2009, 04:38:32 AM »
Uh-huh, I see how ya' are. :-D

More progress, the pump is cleaned up, inlet and outlet fitting O-rings are new, swapped the bypass fitting side for side (this pump has 3 outlets, 1 plugged, 1 to the metering valve, 1 to the bypass) and should be able to eliminate 2 ea 90* turns from that line. :-D

The fuel screen (filter) assembly is clean and has new o-rings (the long blue one Hilborn sells) and I'm fabbing new supply and return lines for it (some are done, some are not).

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2009, 11:23:17 PM »
Decided on a bit of a break and helped the local car club at a show. Not much accomplished today, but I'm not done yet.

I did however get the oil changed in the engine and a fresh filter on. Plan is currently to get the engine warm and change th oil again (maybe twice) as it was fairly dirty and heavily diluted (the oil smells like the fuel in the cell, and @ 40wt & cold  pours like 5W30 hot :-o).

Dissected the oil filter, no drama there.

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2009, 04:24:38 AM »
The schedule this week just went nuts (about 9 hours ago  :roll:) , I'm gonna try and get as much done as I can and post as I go.

I got most of the plumbing done for the Hilborn. I haven't put the end fittings on the two return hoses, as they don't fit through the shield tube I have with the ends on, I still have to bend the tubes to fit that since of the driver's compartment.

I was doing most of this when I was tired so I forgot to get pics, I'll remedy that as soon as I can. :-)

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 04:15:38 AM »
Attended a wedding today (not mine) so I didn't personally accomplish anything on the car  :-( but I helped with a few small items. :-)

Dad got the driveshaft back in today with fresh grease and the trans is buttoned back up with a fresh filter, 3 pints of Mobil 1 ATF and all the rust off the pan.

We are working on getting the new seat belts adjusted at the anchor ends to where we are both in the range of adjustment on the 'in service' adjusters (part of what I helped with, yes it's not much).

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 04:15:16 AM »
I got the rest of the shield tubes bent up and the ends relieved (I try to put a bell on each end so if the hose works relative to the tube, the end of the tube won't dig into the hose).

Should have them secured tomorrow. Pics then , hopefully.

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 06:54:58 AM »
After foraging for parts all day Saturday (got another 7 1/4 W/ a 3.23 in it  :-), 3.55 currently in the car) and yard work for Mom most of Sunday I finally got the shield tubes secured (almost) today. Naturally I went back and didn't like one of the tubes so I fabbed a new one, and then had exactly enough screws -1 (1/4 20 button heads, so the heads won't gouge you if you rub up against them Ill get another plus a few spares today).

I have 3 more hose clamps to put on and the fuel plumbing will be finished (one of these days I have got to get more pictures  :roll:).

I installed the studs I got to mount the injector assembly to the head, the ones along the top are too short. :-( I'll get some longer ones today. I already have some snazzy nuts for them, they are the ones that have the captured washers on the nuts already (keeps me form dropping just the one  :wink:).

I realised that I haven't been regularly posting Pop's progress, I didn't mean to make this sound like a 1 man 'team'. :oops:

He so far has gotten the new SFI 45.1 roll bar padding installed, the new seat belts are in with the new anchor for the non 'Y' type shoulder belts (only a few minor adjustments left, on what we have). We are waiting on a 2 point sub belt as we got to looking at the rule book and we think that when I'm in the car it looks more like the picture that says we have to have a 6 point belt, so as soon as that gets here we can do final adjustment on all that.

He has the driveshaft back in, with fresh grease in the U joints.

He also has the new fuel cell cap assembly installed (it had the 'aircraft' style flush cap, too big a PITB to work with, replaced it with a 'D' ring or 'bail' style cap, much better  :-) ).

I did help, I cleaned out the roll over vent valve, and found a shiny new ball bearing that fit the valve to replace the rusty and heavily pitted old one, I tried it with the old check ball and it didn't seal with just a tablespoon or so of fluid at the bench  :-o (just the top of the valve upside down, no head pressure and it didn't slow it down very much) it works good now  :-). I reinstalled that too.

So we have progress, just not as much as we would like (go figure  :roll: ).

So as soon as the new nozzle hoses get here we can fire it back up to do the oil change. We have 10W40 and a fresh filter on it now we plan to flush it with that, maybe twice, then put the race oil in, leaning towards 40Wt Mobil 1 race oil.

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2009, 09:19:58 AM »
More progress, if only small.

The feed line to the pump and the bypass return are finished and leak checked (ran the pump with a drill and a felt polishing bob).

No leaks in either and the new quick change pill holder seems to work. :-)

The Metering Valve return hose is completed, but until I get the nozzle hoses back I can't leak check it, or the feed line from the pump shutoff to the metering valve. :-(

Really looking forward to that, especially since we will be able to run it immediately after the leak check. Nothing like re-firing the engine to help maintain the motivational quotient.  :-D

Bought some gasket material today, heavy cardstock like stuff used to make flange gaskets for pipelines (those that still have flanges). It's 1/16" thick (just over 1.5 mm) and 'non compresable' (per it's manufacturer) as well as being a royal pain to carve to size. :-(

Oh well, I wanted something durable and thick enough to help keep the heat transfer to the injector assembly down.  :|

I have pics in the camera, I'll have to see about getting them uploaded today.

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2009, 11:18:05 PM »
Pictures are up. :-)

First I have pictures of the shield tubes I've been blathering on about.

By the engine (didn't realise it, but you can just see the one for the feed line as well).

Here's how I got 'around' the shifter.

And back at the cell,...

The red 'bands' on the tank ends of the shield tubes are pieces of heat shrink tubing. I expect the longer unsupported hose runs to move somewhat more relative to the shield tubes so I added the heat shrink in addition to belling the ends of the tube (the front ends of the tube are belled as well, but the shorter run, from a solid mount to a solid mount shouldn't 'work' relative to each other much, if at all). I'm still debating whether or not to heat shrink some heater hose to the cell end of the shield tubes to add a little more support.

I see that's not the best picture as at the odd angle I apparently chose to take the shot the hose routing looks, well, odd.

The bypass return (with the quick change pill holder) is lower in the tank than the metering valve return, as Hilborn told me to run the two separate if I could, and keep each as close to level with their respective discharge points (ie bypass return at the same height as the bypass outlet port on the pump, same for the metering valve).

Some of Pop's work, first is the new, easier to use' fuel cell cap.

Now the new shoulder belt anchor.

My apologies for the skewed angle on that last one (I was a bit tired when I took all of these) the mount is level in the car.

I tried to get a decent picture of the padding, but none of the shots came out. Hard to shoot black padding on black cage tubes and get enough contrast so you can see both, without washing the picture out. :-(

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2009, 03:36:55 AM »
Roughed in a gasket, figured out to give up on gasket punches and razor blades the new material is just too tough for them. My pocket knife does a fair job as I can put some body weight behind it.

Pics soon.

Erik

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2009, 12:43:13 PM »
Roughed out gsket picture.

Yes, I'll have to clean the nozzles, again. Oh well.

Erik