Author Topic: Single Cylinder LSR Motorcycles  (Read 28748 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Single Cylinder LSR Motorcycles
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »
the Suzi would run in the "A" frame class.....
kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 01:01:49 PM »
trail is whats important on a motorcycle--usually you can increase the trail by more rake but not always--raked trees will only decrease the trail ---study the following then decide on your rake and trail --may be some on this site that is in the know will make a recomendation--check out scott stites bike in the build diaries a very safe built bike and a strong runner--
                        http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/advchoppercalc.html

willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 09:36:12 PM »
Great, thanks Willie!!

I did find in the owner's manual that stock trail is 4.65"
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:53:47 PM by Calkins »
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2009, 07:22:49 AM »
the Suzi would run in the "A" frame class.....
kent

Why is that?  I thought that it would run in Modified Production (M).  It's a stock frame and the seat is above the tires.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2009, 10:13:57 AM »
At El Mirage there is no M

If they made 500 you should be able to run M at Bonneville... unless it is a factory race bike, then it is A
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 10:16:33 AM »
I catch ya.  Why isn't there a 'M' class at El Mirage?  Kindof weird since the same group puts that and Bonneville on.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 01:00:24 AM »
How's this?

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 02:08:48 AM »
How's this?

Nice lQQking APS bike for ELMO...

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 04:47:56 AM »
big time chain problems  :-o
kent

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 08:14:40 AM »
Here's the stock specs:
Wheelbase - 58.5"
Rake - 28 Degrees
Triple Clamp Offset - 1.5"
Fork Length - 35.5"
Triple Tree Rake - 1.3 Degrees
Trail - 4.65"

Using everything stock with shorter fork tube specs:
Wheelbase - 54.85"
Fork Length - 26.5"
Trail - 2.53"

Where do I need to be in the trail and rake department?

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 10:26:09 AM »
Calkins

We ran a single cylinder MX bike last year at BUB....here is some of what we learned.

Most offroad trans are designed for trail or track riding and seemed to be geared awefully low for land speed racing. I know you can change the final ratio, but not always enough to deal with the different trans ratios and patterns. By the way, do a quick check and make sure the front sprocket you want to run 'fits' the cases and don't forget that rear drum hub limits how small of a rear sprocket you can use.

According to Jack D and my limited experience, the power delivery of a single or vee twin seems to suit the salt surface better than some of the in-line four cylinder high RPM motors.

An big offroad, top heavy, MX gas tank is the 'worst' thing imaginable to try and tuck behind!

Considering the chain...we stretched the swingarm and had no problem running a super long chain, but we also had the swing arm at a realistic angle.

Rick G, one of our teammates, made a billet triple tree that returned all the trail lost from lowering the forks.

Considering steering/suspension angles, read some of the 'math' books and web pages...it becomes obvious what ideas work by their popularity. I picked a bike that had demonstrated stability at our target speed and copied those angles.....with runs up to 132mph the bike felt like it was running on rails the whole week.

Make sure the steering damper is designed for road race or flat track.  MX dampers typically only damp one direction and allows the bars to easily return to nuetral....road race damp both directions.

The tire manufacture would NOT offer ANY opinion about a DT tire on the salt, but after talking with a few local guys that compete at Springfield I feel good about about and can argue that the tires are run in the tall 130s in the mile.

and the good news.....

The MX bikes are great for making friends...most everyone has a story about their first dirt bike.

Old MX bikes are $$ cheap, especially when you and your buddies have bits and pieces shoved in the back of garages!

Even better, they are simple.....there was so much other stuff going on at the event that it was a wonderful to be racing a KISS bike.

Any single cylinder bikes is ~25% the width of every hyabusa that has rolled out of the factory.

and the best info/advice I think anyone can offer.....

Do your homework, ride what you have to start if the tires meet the required speed rating, then you will know what you need to do.

Good Luck!

Mark
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2009, 11:07:17 AM »
Wow! Your the man!  You just spoke volumes!  Thank you very much!!!!

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »
Wow! Your the man!  You just spoke volumes!  Thank you very much!!!!

Thanks, but while I am a man, it's the guys like Kent, John N, Stainless, Jack D, DeanLA, and all the others that have spent 'years' going really fast that are truely 'the man'

Respectfully,
Mark
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:47:02 AM by wolbrink471 »
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2009, 12:44:50 PM »
How true you are!!!

Thanks everyone!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 12:07:39 AM »
More hours and money than I will admit to have been spent on my Triumph chassis and streamlining.  The only engine that fits this chassis is the original equipment motor.  It  limits my options.  I did not think about this in the beginning, but it bothers me now.  I want to try different engines and classes.

A long time ago, before I was born, an Irishman, McCandliss by name, designed a swingarm frame for Norton.  It is a well designed simple affair.  Basically, two loops of tubing form a large and deep engine bay and the motor is held in place using plates and spacers.  Type "featherbed" into a search engine.  The frames are still being made in wideline and narrowline versions.  Both work OK. The actual Manx version uses alloy steel and is very light and strong.  Type "Unity Equipe" into a search engine.

Over the years I have seen these engines in Norton Featherbed frames:  Vincents, a Kawalski Mach III, a sportster, BSA twins and singles, a small car engine, lots of Truimphs, and most amazing, a Norton.  The frame itself may not be what you want to build, but the versitile engine mounting concept is worth investigating. 

The featherbed chassis has its limits.  My impressions are that it is reasonable for a bike running 130 mph or less with maybe 60 or 70 hp, tops.  At serious speed or with lots of power the lateral rigidity of a modern chassis with strong upside down forks is a good idea.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas.  Good luck with your build. 

needed.  Unfortunately, oius speed ppeds   Seroius speed above 150   trailMan