Author Topic: Classification question  (Read 11049 times)

McRat

Re: Classification question
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 09:38:22 AM »
read my reply again  ---what was wrong with the nhra cage that wouldnt pass at scta--i build both and if built right one should be good at both venues other than the plates on the floor in a unibody car--your truck has a full frame and the cage should weld to the frame at nhra or scta--lf i built a cage for your car or truck it would pass at nhra and scta     willie buchta

The minimum NHRA tubing wall thk is not SCTA legal, or at least wasn't last year.  Rulebooks are at work, I'll find the chapters Monday. 

Yes, you can have one legal for both if you plan ahead, and that means using the SCTA book as the minimum.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 11:58:27 AM »
I think what Willie is saying does not pertain to the tubing diameter, but the wall thickness.  SCTA allows tubing that has a nominal wall thickness that in some cases could fall under the wall thickness allowed by NHRA for the same diameter tubing.

I'm happy that they do this as I feel they have made up for the slight difference in wall thickness that can occur in a lot of the steel that is available to us home builders by requiring a larger tube diameter.  In my case it might be very expensive for me in a remote area to obtain tubing that would for sure meet the wall thickness required by NHRA. Using the larger diameter (heavier in weight) tubing is not the penalty for us as it is for the 1/4 mile guys.

If one is in a "competitive class" at B'ville or the drags I think it is going to be very difficult to build a dual purpose car that can go after records in both.  My hat is off to anyone that can pull that off.

c ya,

Sum

McRat

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 12:49:52 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  NHRA is .083" for CrMo rollcage construction, and allows some bars like the harness bar to be thinner.  SCTA is .095".  And if you are tube chassis, the thickness of some of the rollcage structure can be as little as 1.375 dia x .058" for top fuel.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 01:00:37 PM »
you are right about the C M roll cage  when i get time i will do a comparison between roll cage between nhra and scta and i think you will be suprised    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 01:32:04 PM »
Pg 268 is the one that would apply to most "dual purpose" cars for NHRA.

Yeah, with 1010, you have to have .118" min by NHRA for everything.  But, weight=HP=ET.  So if you've allocated 250lb/100HP/.2sec for safety equip, you get a bunch more safety with CrMo.  The cage in Casper exceeds both NHRA and SCTA reqs, but weighs about the same as a 1010 "minimum req" SCTA rollcage.  It's twice as heavy as NHRA min CrMo though.

Offline HighwayJunkie

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 06:23:50 PM »
thank god for bracket racing... where weight=HP=ET doesn't matter anymore than what color underwear you have on!

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 06:43:46 PM »
Does every bar attached to the roll cage have to be .095 wall if CM?  Or does just the main structure of the roll cage (hoop, two down bars, two rear bars) have to be .095?  If I put a cross bar in the back does that have to be .095 or thicker even though it adds to the strength of the 'bare minimum' cage?
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

McRat

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 10:52:29 AM »
Does every bar attached to the roll cage have to be .095 wall if CM?  Or does just the main structure of the roll cage (hoop, two down bars, two rear bars) have to be .095?  If I put a cross bar in the back does that have to be .095 or thicker even though it adds to the strength of the 'bare minimum' cage?

I'm not 100%, I'll have to comb the rulebook.  I "believe" that supplemental bars that aren't required don't have to be the same, but I'm not sure.  I just went .095 everywhere.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »
mcrat  dont forget  to check the "spirit of the rule book" too      willie buchta

Offline greybeard

• New folks
Bucket list quest for Bonneville for a newbie
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »
I'm brand new to LSR. I'm building a '31 Deluxe Phaeton and want to drive on the Salt once before I kick the bucket!!  I have so many questions, after reading the rule book, I'm not sure where to start. I'm in Nor Cal, San Jose area.  Tires: rules say speed rated & no square edges.  Does a standard speed rated radial tire meet those requirements?  Roll bar (cage): I want to drive the "135 MPH" bracket.  Do I need the full on double tube 4 point roll cage for that???
This will be a full fendered, stock bodied car that I hope to enter in the "Antique" category.  The body sits on a TCI stage III chassis w/406c.i. small block, 200 4R trans built to handle 800hp, Ford 9" w/3:89 gears.
Please, someone point me in the right direction.

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 06:47:55 PM »
Graybeard,

I'll pass along what I was told when I ask the same type question five months ago.

The Southern California Timing Association (SCTA) runs the meets at El Mirage and Bonneville (in association with BNI).

Get a rule book from the SCTA, read it, read it again and then pick your class based on your vehicle and how much work you want to put into it.

Go to www.scta-bni.org and look around. If you want to run other event put on by other sanctioning bodies go to their websites and look around.

But by all means get the rule book of the sanctioning bodies you're interested in and read them!

Seems to me the more specific questions you ask the more detail answers you'll get.

Good Luck with your bucket list.

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 06:52:52 PM »
Another fact of life in land speed racing is that you must build the vehicle to the standards (safety, especially) required for the current record speed in your class.  That is -- if you end up in a class where the record is -- say, 175mph -- then you must have the safety equipment for a 175-mph vehicle whether you plan to run only 135 or not.

If you want to go 135 -- perhaps you'd be wise to at least thoroughly investigate the 130 MPH Club of the USFRA (there's a link to their site on the home page of this site).  The safety rules are quite a bit more relaxed for vehicles in that event.

Best --

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 07:11:59 PM »
If you want to run for the 130 mph club forget the SCTA and look at the USFRA. That is where the 130 Club is. They have rules online at thier web page. Foe an open car I would expect they will want some kind of roll bar.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 01:07:51 PM »
Gray's '31 phaeton does not fit in any SCTA class.  Closest would be B/STR with a 218(?) record.  Have to build a real race car to even run in that class.  The 130 Club is the way to go.  Forget SCTA.  Time Only entry would be held to STR rules, I believe.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records