Author Topic: Classification question  (Read 11055 times)

Offline airford1

• New folks
Classification question
« on: March 22, 2009, 04:57:18 PM »
I just got my first rule book and have a question as to what class a 1972 Ford Ranchero with a 460 auto would start in. I have just started a restoration with this Ranchero and I'm at the crossroad of installing a rollcage to make it a drag car or LS car or can we flip flop for both. I'm looking for the hobby not any records.

Offline RichFox

Re: Classification question
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 05:23:57 PM »
460 cubic inches is an "A" engine. I think you could buy a '72 Ranchero with a 460 or a 429. In which case it would be an A/Production. If they didn't come with 385 type motors it would be a Gas coup I guess.

Offline airford1

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:13:22 PM »
Yes they did come with a 429.

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »
Well then, is a 429 a 460? That was the original question.

DW

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:14:36 PM »
429 and 460 are both 385 series Ford motors differing mostly in the stroke. So my best guess is A/Production. Depending on what else you do that may move the car out of production class.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 07:16:53 PM by RichFox »

Offline airford1

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 08:18:10 PM »
Thanks for the input. Production class will allow me to build the motor as long as I keep the same number of valves and dont alter the port cofiguration. When it says any transmission does this mean I can put in a trans that was not sold that year, ie, automatic or manual that is from a newer car, what about gear vendors overdrive being added?

Offline RichFox

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 09:30:13 PM »
It is my non offical understanding that any transmission is legal in Pro

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 04:17:14 PM »
I may be confused, but I thought reading the rule book a while back it stated that El Caminos and Rancheros run in the pickup class?  Or do I have it wrong and it states they run in their respective car class?  I do not have my rule book handy right now.  I need to check it later.

But regardless the 460 is A class engine as stated previously, and if avaialble for that Ranchero could fit into production category.

BTW, building to do both land speed and drag racing will have bad results for both.  Not saying you could not have fun, but certainly hard to be competitive in both with one car.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 05:26:15 PM »
Unless something drastically changed; El Caminos and Rancheros are cars not trucks......
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline HighwayJunkie

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 05:36:37 PM »
building to do both land speed and drag racing will have bad results for both.  Not saying you could not have fun, but certainly hard to be competitive in both with one car.

I've heard this statement made several times now, and never with an explanation. Can someone please expand? Obviously some changes would have to be built in, but that wouldn't be beyond the capabilities of the folks into either form of racing.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 06:13:13 PM »
My first LSR car was an ex-drag race gasser from the 60's and it was no big transition with exception of safety and lowering the car. I ran is as a vintage coupe with a vintage engine

Today it is much different. You don't state what you are looking at but if it's a lakester your converting from a dragster it can be a lot of problems mosty in the tubing diameter. But fitting the safety stuff could cause a problem. We also need a tube axle if I'm not mistaken. There are some currently running but if you ask any of them the expense was to great and they wish they had started from scratch and built a LSR car from the start.

Weight is an issue with drag cars and not with LSR for the most part. There have been some attempts to make altered/fuel coupes out of Pro-Stock type cars but there is a lot expense in the rear. We normally don't use 17" wide tires 34" in diameter. Drag roadster bodies don't fit any of our classes, trust me on this one.

Good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

McRat

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 08:33:51 PM »
If you build to SCTA spec, it will be legal to 8.50 ET (or maybe even quicker, depending).

If you build to NHRA spec for 8.50, it might not be legal at all for SCTA.

So if you are doing dual-purpose, start with the SCTA rulebook and you'll be fine.

My truck runs both.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 11:39:25 PM by McRat »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 09:12:51 PM »
Mcrat   nhra tube specs. for a mild steel car is .118 wall thickness --scta tube specs is .120 nominal wall thickness ---.120 ew (electric weld) is nominal wall tubing and you will be lucky if it is .115 wall  not legal for nhra     willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 11:36:44 PM »
Mcrat   nhra tube specs. for a mild steel car is .118 wall thickness --scta tube specs is .120 nominal wall thickness ---.120 ew (electric weld) is nominal wall tubing and you will be lucky if it is .115 wall  not legal for nhra     willie buchta

Correct.  The tubing wall thickness, seat construction, window net, etc, are tighter on SCTA.  I had to discard my existing rollbar and seat, then start from scratch to run SCTA.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 11:57:40 PM »
read my reply again  ---what was wrong with the nhra cage that wouldnt pass at scta--i build both and if built right one should be good at both venues other than the plates on the floor in a unibody car--your truck has a full frame and the cage should weld to the frame at nhra or scta--lf i built a cage for your car or truck it would pass at nhra and scta     willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta