Author Topic: Lodging and tires for Loring  (Read 16955 times)

Offline MiltonP

Re: Lodging and tires for Loring
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 11:29:52 PM »
Actually, I am getting pretty good at backing it in but I don't see many lots with deep spaces to back into so I usually go for pulling 'thru' 2 spaces in the middle rows. 

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2009, 11:30:50 PM »
As of today, Camping/Parking/RVs will all be allowed to stay the whole weekend in the pit area just west of the Start line . Check out the Map for the pits/spectator area, that's the home of the semi-roofless ! Just try to keep it one step above a refugee camp, OK ? We'll have it marked off for our weekend, all thanks to our pals in the Loring Development Authority, And Mark Sotomayor, our Maine Main Man, who makes all the local calls in "the County" ( what locals call "Aroostock County").
We are working on making everything as homey as we can, hang in there.
Bob W

Bob,

I know that you cleared up and took care of entrants being able to camp overnight, but how about spectators, will they be able to do the same? You may have already stated what the spectator entry fee is, but I can't locate that information, can you please tell me what it will cost for a spectator to see the racing and if there is a camping fee for them.

Thanks again for your help,
JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS
Check out my "WILD HARE RACING" Land Speed Racing Rabbit album at;
http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/wild_hare_racing_land_speed_racing_rabbit
EAST COAST TIMING ASSOCIATION
I MAY BE GETTING OLDER.............BUT I REFUSE TO GROW UP!!
Shhhh........be vewy, vewy quiet........we are wacing a wabbit!!!!

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2009, 10:15:33 AM »
Spectators need only sign the waiver /release at the gate, affix the arm/wrist band/ and they are good to go for  the whole event.  Camping overnight(s) is just 24 hour spectating, and as we've not arranged any luxurious amenities , like running water , I don't see why we'd charge for it. This year might go down as the discount deal of the LTA-LSR First year, so enjoy it .
We are considering asking some of the overnight people to help oversee the site for security, nothing formal, just yell if Bears overturn the Porta Pottie , or Coyotes and Sandpipers stage Match races.
Bob W

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2009, 03:25:06 PM »
Spectators need only sign the waiver /release at the gate, affix the arm/wrist band/ and they are good to go for  the whole event.  Camping overnight(s) is just 24 hour spectating, and as we've not arranged any luxurious amenities , like running water , I don't see why we'd charge for it. This year might go down as the discount deal of the LTA-LSR First year, so enjoy it .
We are considering asking some of the overnight people to help oversee the site for security, nothing formal, just yell if Bears overturn the Porta Pottie , or Coyotes and Sandpipers stage Match races.
Bob W

Thanks Bob,

I do have a habit of sleeping in 4 hour shifts (something to do with an old bladder) so I'll help keep an eye out for the outhouse flipping bears, fortunately I have an outhouse-inhouse inside my bus, so it will only be when I actually see one of the bears in action  :-o
JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 02:09:25 AM »
As of today, Camping/Parking/RVs will all be allowed to stay the whole weekend in the pit area just west of the Start line . Check out the Map for the pits/spectator area, that's the home of the semi-roofless ! Just try to keep it one step above a refugee camp, OK ? We'll have it marked off for our weekend, all thanks to our pals in the Loring Development Authority, And Mark Sotomayor, our Maine Main Man, who makes all the local calls in "the County" ( what locals call "Aroostock County").
We are working on making everything as homey as we can, hang in there.
Bob W

Bob,

First of all the check is in the mail, now for a couple more questions;

What is the earliest that we can get into the camping are of the pits?

What is the latest that we have to be out of the same area?

At Maxton, I usually arrive Thursday Morning and then stay overnight on Sunday and leave Monday morning, is this time frame workable at Loring?

Thanks again for all of you efforts and help!!
JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 10:43:27 PM »
John,
Arriving Thursday, leaving Tuesday is OK. Just don't hammer in your tent pins until I talk at you, need to make sure we have our areas bordered off properly.
Good idea getting there early, for those navigating up from the south. getting past the Boston traffic on Friday night and Sunday night is good thinking.
BW

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 08:33:20 AM »
John,
Arriving Thursday, leaving Tuesday is OK. Just don't hammer in your tent pins until I talk at you, need to make sure we have our areas bordered off properly.
Good idea getting there early, for those navigating up from the south. getting past the Boston traffic on Friday night and Sunday night is good thinking.
BW

Thanks Bob,

Hopefully my bus and trailer won't blow away, so I don't plan on using any tent pins, unless you know something about strong winds that you aren't telling us :-D

Here is a tip for campers that plan on using generators, I had a vertical removable extension made for my generator to get the exhaust up away from the surrounding area, carbon monoxide poisining can be deadly, hopefully we will have cool nights and won't need to run generators at night.

JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS

Offline legend6me

• New folks
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 09:03:24 AM »
For anyone who was planning on visiting LL Bean, etc:

From the Maine DOT website:
I-295 Northbound will be closed June 16th through the end of August.
I-295 Northbound is now closed from Topsham to Gardiner, however, you can still easily travel north on I-295. If you are headed north on I-295 in Topsham, you will be routed onto the new I-295 Southbound lanes via a temporary crossover. Another crossover will connect you back to the northbound lanes in Gardiner—easy and simple!

Going south? Similar to last year, take Route 201 to destinations like Freeport or take the Turnpike for a straight shot to Portland. Whether you choose one of these routes or one of the several others in between, it should only add an additional ten to fifteen minutes to your trip.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 01:12:40 PM »
Anybody already reserved rooms that finds they either are not coming or have more than they need, please inform me first here, we'll see to it that other LTA LSR types get them rather than release them back to the Caribou or Presque Isle Hotels.
Contact me off line  , so there's less feedback.
Bob W

Offline half-fast

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 06:31:03 PM »
Hey Bob,

A couple of Easy questions for ya, and I apologize ahead of time if they are in the asked and answered column.

Are we to use East Gate Road for getting onto the base?

Do you recommend taking 1A to Limestone and then heading west on 89 or taking 1 up through Caribou and then east on 89?

Thanks & see ya there

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 08:23:30 PM »
Dear Half,
If you are driving Northbound , probably after 1/2 way up exiting I-95 Exit 302, you'd have the opportunity in Mars Hill to decide at the intersection to go either  left at Benjamin St or Right at Fort St , both marked US 1. The left goes through more smaller towns, some  with speed limits as low as 25mph ( enforced) , the right is shorter and faster. If taking the right, you'd eventually turn left at Limestone on Access rd 89 to the Track. From the opposite side out of Caribou, it's about 9.5 miles to the Mobil station at the entrance rd.
People reserving rooms in Presque Isle or Caribou would take the left turn in Mars Hill.
We are working on sufficient signage from Access rd 89 all the way in to the pits.
Again, after driving all that distance on I-95, at SPEED, it's real easy to blow the local limits, be careful !!!
Bob your tour guide Wanner

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2009, 09:56:22 AM »
Received this, am reprinting it w/ his permission. Mainly lodging, but other interesting  stuff ....BOB W

"We have decided not to bring our Electrathon race car to Loring for the trials. We just returned from our trip to the Ford Michigan Proving Grounds and are, frankly, exhausted and broke. It was worth it, though, as we set a new Electrathon world record...62.0 miles in one hour, with about 1.2 horsepower.

I was in Limestone a few weeks ago, delivering my son to a summer camp at the Math & Science school, so I was able to take a liesurely drive down the runway...it looks remarkably level and smooth, given its age, and I look forward to making a run at speed...maybe next year.

We stayed at the Lakeside Lodge, just minutes over the border from Limestone, and I highly reccomend it. The owner is a retired German engineer (and great cook), the accommodations excellent and affordable. You should consider it as an overflow option for people attending the event. Its probably not big enough for everyone, but way nicer than sending them down to Presque Isle. In fact the room I just cancelled should be available (506)473-6252.

C. Michael Lewis
Portland, ME