Author Topic: Venable Rods and Racing - 53 Studebaker Build E/CGALT  (Read 361185 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Venable Rods and Racing - Studebaker Begins, Finally !!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 10:29:45 PM »
You have a ton of work ahead ... when do you plan on running the Stude?

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 10:40:57 PM »
Good to see you're under way Charles. Good luck with the project. If it's like any of the other stuff you build it'll be first class.

Pete

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 10:42:19 PM »
I would like to think we could be done in time to head up to Maine for LTA's  inaugural event.

(I may have to sell something else to have cash to finish the Stude in that timeframe)

But that is the goal.. The Vicky took 6 months from vision to completion.. This Stude is going to be a much more detailed project with more unknowns, more safety equipment required, more custom work etc.. but we will give it a good try.. For sure want to run Maxton at least once this season with the Stude (Sep or Oct)

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 10:44:28 PM »
PJ,

Thanks,, missed you last Tuesday on chat !! 

E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 10:53:57 PM »
For some reason there was a problem somewhere in the great, wide internet. It took forever with several tries before I got logged in and then it kicked me out after about two minutes. I got the message and quit!

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »
Got Winters Quick Change ordered from Joe Timney at Delaware Chassis Works, hope to have it in 3 weeks.
Front Stub should be ready this Friday, ordering Frame Rail and Cage tubing in the morning. (decided on 2x4 main rails and  1 3/4  .120 DOM for cage and braces). Getting ISP Containment seat set up (head and shoulders).

More pics as we make progress.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 12:28:58 AM »
Nice progress Charles, I need to get back on mine.  Too much distraction on a car for my wife.  But it's a good distraction, a 37 Chevy Ute.  However it has taken away any progress on my 55 coupe.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline t russell

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 09:51:01 AM »
Ok kid Hows it comning along?????
terry

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 10:33:22 AM »
Best of luck with your build!!!

Can someone explain why this type of  Studebaker
is used so relatively often to build LSR cars ?

Just curious.
I think it's one of the best looking American cars ever.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 11:47:59 AM »
Octane,  I like the 53 era Studebaker's because they look so cool. They seem to have been 15 plus years ahead of there time too.  I am building one because I run the "Classic"  class  and my 1933 Ford Vicky is an Areo "Brick"  but it sure is fun to drive,,, After getting the Land Racing bug and wanting to go faster, I decided to stay in the Classic category it was between a 79,80 81 Camaro or Trams Am,,, or the 53/54 Studebaker,,, Either of them would fit the classic class and have better areo than my 33 Vicky,,, but the Camaro and FireBird or Trans Am  would not look at home in my shops,,,, all my stuff is Hot Rod 1930's stuff,,, so the search for the Stude began,,,

BUILD UPDATE :

The Rear Quarters, Deck Lid and Doors are primed and ready for Paint,,,  Going to blast the body this week. Front Stub here, Quick Change should be here middle of the week (per Joe T) once the rear and a few misc parts arrive, we will start full speed ahead on the new chassis (hope to make big progress Fri and Sat on frame)
Had Car show at RCR and Open House at Rod Crafters, both in Welcome yesterday so Larry and I got ZERO work done on the Stude this weekend. (Oh FYI Larry Shoaf is the owner of Rod Crafters, so if you have seen my Yellow Roadster or the Black Vicky,, his shop did 100% of the body and paint work)

I am trying to decide on repairing the front fenders and hood or just going with a Complete removable heavy weight firberglass One Piece Front end.
The Glass Shop in MD seems to have a real nice piece...  Anyone have any experience or seen their product?

Charles
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:52:25 AM by Cajun Kid »
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 12:45:05 PM »
The Glass Shop Stude stuff is excellent...  I have had their stuff shipped to Vancouver and it always arrived in great shape.  Make sure you order the front valance (air dam) with it.  Good Luck with the car..........Bob
Bob Drury

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »
Octane,  I like the 53 era Studebaker's because they look so cool. They seem to have been 15 plus years ahead of there time too.  I am building one because I run the "Classic"  class  and my 1933 Ford Vicky is an Areo "Brick"  but it sure is fun to drive,,, After getting the Land Racing bug and wanting to go faster, I decided to stay in the Classic category it was between a 79,80 81 Camaro or Trams Am,,, or the 53/54 Studebaker,,, Either of them would fit the classic class and have better areo than my 33 Vicky,,, but the Camaro and FireBird or Trans Am  would not look at home in my shops,,,, all my stuff is Hot Rod 1930's stuff,,, so the search for the Stude began,,,

BUILD UPDATE :

The Rear Quarters, Deck Lid and Doors are primed and ready for Paint,,,  Going to blast the body this week. Front Stub here, Quick Change should be here middle of the week (per Joe T) once the rear and a few misc parts arrive, we will start full speed ahead on the new chassis (hope to make big progress Fri and Sat on frame)
Had Car show at RCR and Open House at Rod Crafters, both in Welcome yesterday so Larry and I got ZERO work done on the Stude this weekend. (Oh FYI Larry Shoaf is the owner of Rod Crafters, so if you have seen my Yellow Roadster or the Black Vicky,, his shop did 100% of the body and paint work)

I am trying to decide on repairing the front fenders and hood or just going with a Complete removable heavy weight firberglass One Piece Front end.
The Glass Shop in MD seems to have a real nice piece...  Anyone have any experience or seen their product?

Charles

I used one of their front ends on Hooley's Stude.  It originally was separated but after the first year I made it a one piece when I made the hood scoop.  There is a description and pictures on the web page.  http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-construction-2005-1.html  I also used one of their front ends for the Henry J drag car.

Both of the pieces were about average quality.  There were many pin holes in the gel coat and they both require modification and they had to be reinforced.  This is typical for fiberglass pieces that you buy.  We also ordered the fiberglass headlight assemblies.  I do not want to discourage you but do not expect a perfect fit when it arrives.  Contact me if I can help you in any way.

John 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 04:11:29 PM by WZ JUNK »
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 01:18:07 PM »
It is handy to remove the whole front end when thats what you want to do. It is less than handy to remove the whole front end just to read the plugs, add fuel or any of the things you do 12 times a day on the salt. I have a one piece front end and wish I had a removeable hood so that I didn't have to take the whole thing off all the time. I know I could fix that. Just never have. Only had the car 28 years now. I'll get around to it.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 11:45:39 PM »
Rich,  If I go with the one piece front end, it will have a removable hood.. The Glass Shop one piece front end consists of a "one piece unit" that is fenders, grill, bumper and air dam.. The hood is a pin one separate piece..

I agree 100%  that the hood needs to be a separate piece.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:59:50 PM by Cajun Kid »
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 11:37:32 PM »
Update :

Body work and Paint is done on the Quarters, the doors and the trunk lid...(the Satin Black sure looks good .. again..,same paint as the Vicky).  Body has been blasted and removed from the stock chassis. Still deciding on repairing the hood and fenders, or just going with the Glass Shop One Piece front end deal... Winters was to drop ship the new Quick Change,, should be here this week, all the material for the chassis and cage is here, the front suspension is here, the rear brakes arrived from Wilwood, (via Joe T and DCW)..pics to be loaded this weekend. Have not decided on rear suspension yet,, but am leaning towards Alston's big bar 4 link with Afco coilovers...

Not sure If I will use stock style hood or add a cowl hood scoop ?  If I have the room and don't need the scoop,, would it be better NOT to use scoop ? (I assume the scoop would cause more frontal drag and reduce areo))
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:43:07 PM by Cajun Kid »
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT