Author Topic: Venable Rods and Racing - 53 Studebaker Build E/CGALT  (Read 361114 times)

Offline stratman59

Re: Venable Rods and Racing - 53 Studebaker Build E/CGALT
« Reply #390 on: December 01, 2009, 06:29:49 PM »
Charles,

They have a cool suit setup like you are talking about in the CV Products catalog.
If they have one in stock, that you could look at might give you some ideas.

Robbie

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #391 on: December 01, 2009, 07:07:05 PM »
Robbie,  I have seen that at CV Products,,, CV is 20 minutes from my shop and I have 2 good friends that work there.  The full set up is about $1,100..

They are in the process of seeing if a custom cool shirt can be made in my size.
If they can not do my size or if it's to expensive,
I may start with the on Board Helmet cooling unit,, then use my design for supplemental cockpit cooling.

Based on the June Temps and Humidity at Maxton, I will get a good idea how well the Helmet cooling works alone, then add my design if needed,,,

I know Bonneville is HOT,, but can't imagine having as much humidity.

I have been here at 95 degrees with big humidity and at Las Vegas at 110  with low/ almost no  humidity and 110 at Vegas seemed more bearable than here ??

Guess I will just have to see.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #392 on: December 01, 2009, 07:16:21 PM »
Here's a cheap and simple cooler:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #393 on: December 01, 2009, 07:22:44 PM »
Jon,  yes that is on the order of what I was thinking, just using larger air supply line and larger CFM fan,

I want that thing blowing a frosty blizzard of air in the car.

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #394 on: December 01, 2009, 11:40:39 PM »
Charles,

Rig in picture of Slim's post looks like the set up that was described to me which was mounted on a 2 wheeled hand truck.  I'll try to get more info for you.  Might take a bit to catch up with the driver, he is in his hunting/trapping mode now.

FWIW, June '09 Maxton conditions hit me a LOT harder than '08 Bonneville Speedweek conditions, YMMV.

Ed

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #395 on: December 02, 2009, 12:24:56 AM »
  Charles, I have a Kool Shirt that I use in my Stude.  I didn't have room for another cooler box (I have a helmet cooler also), so I opted for their satchel style soft bag with the pump in it.  It fits nicely behind the drivers seat. It holds a quart of ice water, and works really well.  About $450 from Kool Shirt.
  p.s.  I built my own helmet cooler using a 12v fan from Grainger, a small Igloo cooler, and inch and a quarter copper tubing inside.  IT holds one small bag of ice.  Total cost aproximately one hundred bucks not including the flex hoses and the now required fire resistant sleeve over the flex hose.          
  They both are life savers as I have a 25 gallon engine H2O circulation tank sitting in the passenger area, plus I wear nomex underwear and a SFI-20 5 layer suit.  When they shut you off on the line for a twenty minute clean-up of the course, you want it all.  A blanket over the windshield is also a big help when you are sitting ready to go.  (remove before run) :-D               Bob

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:42:52 AM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #396 on: December 02, 2009, 12:35:36 PM »
Bob,,, yeah,, removing the windshield blanket before the run sure sounds like a good idea,,,, are you reminding us because of a recent brain fart ???  LOL

Ed,  I would have thought with the Humidity at Maxton in June, that Bonneville could not be worse,, thanks for letting me know,,, But June at Maxton, both 08 and 09 where  almost unbearable once suited up,,, I felt bad for the bike pilots in full leathers,,, and no shade... I made it through,,, thanks  to some shade in my "black car" and lots of water,,, and a few trips to the truck for some A/C...

That is what made me think of a portable air cooler for Maxton in June and Bonneville,, longer lines, more sun probable, and less/longer time between rests in the pits.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #397 on: December 02, 2009, 01:48:44 PM »
Charles:

Bonneville under a full sun (which is pretty common at SpeedWeek) is hot - no question about it.  One time, at about 3PM, I walked into the pit of the Moreau-McBride 'liner.  They had a nicely-built shaded rig -- and a weather station inside.  It showed 103F and 11% humidity.  Thats a common humidity reading.  Your sweat will evaporate pretty well and really will help cool you.  But - it's so hot that I've noticed the chief bike inspector issue wide-brimmed orange inspector's hats to each of us, and he also would walk around to each inspector - asking if the guy had peed recently.  If he got a "no" answer he'd tell me (or whomever) that "You're not drinking enough liquids" and immediately hand us a bottle of water or a sport drink.

I've used this story about keeping cool and hydrated many times. 

When you get up in the morning -- immediately start drinking fluids.  Force 'em down -- try to have a quart or two in you before you get to the track.  Get a good head start.  Then - keep drinking all day long.  I've had it happen when I didn't get enough liquid during the day - that at about 2 or 3 in the afternoon I'd realize that I hadn't peed all day -- and I still didn't have to go.  That is not good, not even acceptable.  You need the fluids.  You'll find out at Bville that the universal greeting of one racer to another, upon visiting in the pits or in staging lines, is "Need a drink?"  Make sure you've got plenty of liquids with you -- in the pit, in the support truck - at all times, not only for yourself and your crew, but also for the many folks that'll be offering you a drink - you'll want to return the favor.  By the way -- Nancy and I consume so much Gatorade/Powerade -- that we buy it in dry bulk and mix our own at the motel/apartment the evenings before we go to the track.  It costs about half as much to mix it ourselves - and by doing it the night before we have plenty of time to refrigerate it and therefore save precious ice in the cooler.

A couple of years ago PPG was a sponsor out there -- and their contribution was case after case of bottled water at the start line -- free for all racers and crew.  Stay hydrated.

I've had (fairly) experienced racers and crew visit our pit - and get woozy with early stages of heat stroke.  Learn what to do for others, and learn how to recognize the symptoms as they move in on you.  Don't be embarrassed to tell someone that you need a drink -- your welfare is important to everyone.

By the way -- one thing that many folks don't think of taking to trackside (Maxton or Bonneville) is a big jug of water for non-drinking needs.  Not only do you sometimes want to wash a part or rinse off some salt - but it's inevitable that your hands will get grimy and salt-encrusted.  It's nice to have a five-gallon jug of water to squander on hand washing (instead of using expensive bottled water for washing).

I could go on -- and you'll eventually learn just how important it is to have plenty of liquids at Bonneville - just like at Maxton.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #398 on: December 02, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »
Jon,  very good info and insights.

For many years I was the Match Director and Chief Range Officer for our local Cowboy Action Shooting Club and the NC State Championship Shootout, This was a major State Shoot and was contested over 4 days (5 days for the officials) in June.
Hot and Humid for sure.  The first year we had several workers and a few competitors fall out from heat related issue,,, ie they did not drink enough water.

We learned are lesson and since then we have provided FREE ICE and FREE Bottled Water to everyone (even spectators)  The last year I ran this event we went through 250 10 lb bags of ice (the Ice company brought us the freezer unit full ) and 80 cases of water. That does not include the water folks brought them self, the free pepsi products donated or the 100 + gallons of mixed gatoraide (like you described)

So yes... getting ahead on your daily fluids and drinking all through the day is very important,,,

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #399 on: December 02, 2009, 10:30:34 PM »
  When I worked in Prudhoe Bay in the early 80's, the climate was so dry that our skin would crack in places you wouldn't believe.  They told us that if our urine wasn't clear, we were not drinking enough water.
  I beat on all my crew continuously to keep drinking gatoraid and water.  I also keep a lot of fresh fruit in coolers (bananas get real ugly in the sun) and eat very little starch's or meat while on the salt.

Bob Drury

Offline stratman59

« Reply #400 on: December 03, 2009, 06:23:39 AM »
Charles,

Where are the spoiler pic's?
Or is that a work in progress still.

Robbie

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #401 on: December 03, 2009, 06:06:05 PM »
Robbie,  I trashed the hinged / adjustable spolier idea,,, had to start over. 

I am off from regular job tomorrow afternoon,,,  Should have spolier completely done and installed.
Decided to go with removable gurney flap/ wicker bill,,, at the tail end of the spolier,,,building 3 to start.
 15 degree, 30 degree and 45 degree,,,  that way no major bending after the fact and I am using heavier material.

Should have more pics posted by Friday night.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline stratman59

« Reply #402 on: December 03, 2009, 10:48:46 PM »
Charles,

Sorry the hinge idea didn't work.
Did you get some good pictures of Hooley's.

Robbie

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #403 on: December 03, 2009, 11:06:31 PM »
Robbie, yes I got some good pics,,

I could have worked out the hinged set up, but figured,, I have no idea what the heck I am doing aero wise, so what do I need and infinitely adjustable rear spoiler for,,,??

Decided to take a more simple and sturdy approach and build a fixed spoiler and spill plate with the 3 gurney flap/wicker bill  deals ...

Since my trunk is functional and I need to get in it.. (The fuel cell and batteries are in the trunk.)  I designed the spoiler as a removable 4 piece assembly that is bolted to and braced from the trunk.  That way I can get to the chute, chute mounts, and inside the trunk and even adjust the gurney flap/wicker bill with out any interference.

The spill plates have a slight "air convergence" design,,, which in theory should aide in rear lateral stability while allowing the air over the trunk to create a downward/pushing motion,,, with just an ever so slight amount of additional drag.

The whole thing is removable in the tunnel or at the track,,, in case I am 100% wrong,, me being wrong is entirely possible.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Peter Jack