Author Topic: # 3838 Vinson / Allison Corvette  (Read 46391 times)

Offline Tman

Re: # 3838 Vinson / Allison Corvette
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2013, 09:14:15 AM »
Most low liners and some other cars use a custom trailer or a harnass type system (Costellas cradles come to mind). I will be building something similar to what Varni and Vesco use after realizing the beating our race truck takes flat towing. The wear and tear on tires would be worth it alone.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2013, 10:09:17 AM »
Getting the car on and off the trailer is an issue as the nose is very low.
Also, we would have to take two trucks out there to get the trailer out there. Getting expensive.
How about a separate 12v pump that would pump trans fluid from the pan to the test port of the trans that we could turn on during the tow.
For a while there we would start the car and let it idle for thirty seconds or so to pump oil around in the trans but  our 16v system is a bit funky and does not charge battery when idling. This would lead to other problems.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »
I think your 12v pump sounds like a good idea, wouldn't take much pressure or flow to lubricate. I would check with your trans man to be sure the test port energizes the oil passages it needs to, or where to tap into.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2013, 11:55:34 AM »
Sum, with these cars being so low, what happens when you jack the rear?.

Doesn't the front spoiler dig into the gound?.

More complicated than I thought. :-o

In our case the spoiler is attached with dzus fasteners and comes off very quickly, but yes that could be a problem for some cars.  If I was going with the dolly approach that I suggested I'd make one where the tires on the dolly were just a couple inches off the ground (not as high) as a commercial one.  That would make it easy to ramp the car onto the dolly and not move the nose down much.

The major negative I see about the dolly is you are towing the car backwards and that would be a pain in the lanes at the starting line.  I'd undo the car just before the area where you enter the lanes off to the side and then push it from there.  I can't see that short distance being a problem.

I also like the idea of pursuing the pump deal with the transmission guy,

Sum
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 11:58:07 AM by Sumner »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »
Rob,

When I bought my 34 Ford streetrod 14 years ago, it had what looked like a funky driveshaft disconnect on it. The previous owner had towed it behind a motorhome. After looking at the disconnect I soon changed my mind and liked what I saw. Not saying this particular unit would work for you, but it might give you some ideas on what you could do with some Mark Williams parts. Just a thought.

Tom G.

http://www.remcodsc.com/driveShaft.php
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
# 3838 Vinson / Allison Corvette
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »
Here is a video of the Vette leaving the starting line. Kind of makes me chuckle a bit. Mind you this is only about 1/4 throttle but when the turbos light, you know it.

http://youtu.be/OiK-X0pIwB0
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
What about a bolt on hub adapter with "sleds" for the rear to slide on? Too much weight on the return road?
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2013, 02:26:26 PM »
What about a bolt on hub adapter with "sleds" for the rear to slide on? Too much weight on the return road?
Luke, I don't think that will work but you did give me an idea on how I could build a cradle with wheels outboard of existing rear tires. It could sit very low, maybe 1" off the ground.we would need to back up on to it, then strap the tires to it. I bet we can barely notice it when we are getting towed.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2013, 02:47:14 PM »
Drop deck trailer. They are killer. Drive something low right on, two wheel straps and a rear strap and you are done.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2013, 06:21:29 PM »
Luke, I don't think that will work but you did give me an idea on how I could build a cradle with wheels outboard of existing rear tires. It could sit very low, maybe 1" off the ground.we would need to back up on to it, then strap the tires to it. I bet we can barely notice it when we are getting towed.

Rob-
That's a good idea. One piece, maybe 2' long with a ramped side to back the car onto. 2 small pneumatic tires per side for balance, you could even add an attachment point for the frame to add a bolt or quick release pin during your longer tows. You could put a hinge with another pin in the middle for easier packing to/from the salt.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)