Author Topic: let's make a list of who is planning on attending/racing  (Read 50060 times)

Offline entropy

Re: let's make a list of who is planning on attending/racing
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 02:47:35 AM »
I just need to put in the leave. I have some happenings going on in July, but im sure making the drive up would be a nice summer get away after everything that is going to happen.

Count me in.

ZX14, NA, MPS/G-1650/4

1mile14,
could we get yr 1st name and state for the list??
thanks!

Offline arnie

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 09:51:46 PM »
I really want to go but I'm having a hard time making the money work.  I also need to upgrade my bike as well.  Even if I got someone to haul it for me, it would still be around a 1000 dollars with airfare and car rental, hotel and food.  That doesn't leave very much upgrading money for the Oct Mile.

Ryan
Ryan Arnold
Race Director
The Texas Mile
www.texasmile.net

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2009, 10:07:44 PM »
Kevin, and im a transplant to Joursey. :-D

1800guy

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2009, 12:05:46 AM »
Jim here, from MI - I'm pretty sure I'll be ready by then, hopefully after first getting my feet wet at Maxton in June.  I have two Maxton-type buddies that I'm trying to talk into going as well.  Anybody have any thoughts or comments about short-cutting across Canada with a trailer and racecar?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2009, 02:02:44 PM »
I expect you might find it a long wait to get through customs with a race trailer full of stuff.  Have you registrations for the bikes, and be ready to show that they're absolutely race-only -- not street-driveable.  Have a list of EVERYTHING in the trailer, including tools and tie-downs, so you can prove, on your way back into the US, that you didn't buy anything on which you'd have to pay a duty.  If you're carrying race fuel -- you may have to show something like an MSDS.  Carry sealed cans only, I'd guess.

Also -- if you've got any kind of nasty tickets on your driver license you may be refused entry.  For sure -- if you've got an alcohol-related offense anytime in the past 10 years (yes, TEN years) you will almost certainly be disallowed from entering Canada.

All of my comments are hearsay -- I haven't tried it personally. I betcha I'm not too far wrong, though.  Check it out with phone calls and/or emails before you try crossing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2009, 04:44:01 PM »
 Mostly for the benefit of those of you that aren't aware yet, this is the address   (below) for the Loring Timing Association and 
information for our event to be held in August this year.We recommend  reading  all
the info available, and we hope it answers enough  questions.  Pre
Registrations can be submitted now, or if you are  unfamiliar with Land Speed Racing
, you can first order a Rulebook which has  most of what info  you need to
prepare to attend and run your vehicle.
We will soon also add a Aerial based map picture of the site to familiarize
everybody with the facility.
We will also add a News icon for regular updates on available 
accommodations and dining facilities in the area.
Directions are also forthcoming .
In the meantime, have patience if we've forgotten anything or confused an 
issue, we will straighten it all out very shortly.
We thank all of you that kept the faith waiting and watching our  progress.
We again  openly thank our Mentors at The ECTA for their ongoing  help ,
this probably could not have been done without them. And if it's a  failure,
blame them. LOL.
Bob W, LTA,  Co Conspirator at Large
 http://www.lta-lsr.com/

1800guy

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2009, 11:54:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply, SSS.  Sounds like not a good option for Real Street.  Much as I like Canadians, I recall that oftentimes hospitality only starts 100 yards beyond the border.  I'll try to contact customs anyway - I have a (reasonably) clean record and a good passport.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2009, 11:10:14 AM »
Hey Jim,
I just checked your location, I see why a beeline East to Buffalo, I assume, is a lot better than going way south. Good Luck. You'll probably get a few more opinions on this, there's a bunch of LSR types on both sides now. 
I have to ask, due to your Screen name, is your vehicle of choice a P1800 ? 
If so, what class ?
BOB W

1800guy

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2009, 11:54:08 PM »
Hello, Bob - The screen name is from the old ice racing days, when weight was your friend.  Although I love my P1800 & 1800E on the highway, reality says go with an old 544 - same mechanicals and 500 lbs less weight.  One of my co-conspirators is stuffing a small Ford into an 1800, though - hopefully both cars will be running this year.
As far as crossing Canada, the savings in miles may not balnce the higher price of gas - more research needed on this.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2009, 06:42:56 PM »
"reality says go with an old 544 - same mechanicals and 500 lbs less weight.'
Yeah but, weight ain't no big thang in LSR, Aero is, and I bet The 1800 beats the 544 big time on that ?
Either way, I hope to see you and your gang in August, snow should be melted by then, even the six inches they had today.
BOB W   

Offline G-SERIES

• New folks
  • www.71Wingcars.com
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2009, 06:51:16 PM »
Bob:  Pam and I plan to be there for some qualifying runs in the white and orange car in the sig.  Hope you get to add some dates for next year.  Gary. (Mass.)

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2009, 10:21:02 PM »
Gary and Pam,
Your cars are certainly crowd pleasers, and we'd love to see them in August. Excuse me if you are familiar with Land Speed Racing and I don't have to remind you about our policy about making runs up in Loring. Basically if it is street legal and passes our tech, you can make runs up to 135 mph, just follow basic safety guidelines as outlined in our Rulebook. If you desire to run over 135, more safety equipment is necessary the faster your vehicles potential .
Bob W

Offline G-SERIES

• New folks
  • www.71Wingcars.com
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2009, 07:30:36 AM »
Bob:  They'll only qualify for the 135.  We were going to take them down to Maxton last week, but figured Loring was closer.  We're building a 71 Daytona for LSR.  I've got the ECTA and SCTA regs. Gary.

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »
Bob:  They'll only qualify for the 135.  We were going to take them down to Maxton last week, but figured Loring was closer.  We're building a 71 Daytona for LSR.  I've got the ECTA and SCTA regs. Gary.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :-D :-D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I am a huge wing car fan. I cant quite afford one right now. (70 RR, alpine white, 440-4, 4 speed is my dream car), I have seen your cars only in the mags, so it is going to be a real treat to see them in person (I know yours are what if type cars, but really cool, and ive read very well executed). Now I cant miss this event.

Offline G-SERIES

• New folks
  • www.71Wingcars.com
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2009, 06:39:45 PM »
I appreciate that 1mile14.  We wouldn't miss the inaugural in our own backyard...even if it is 8 hours away.   :cheers: