Author Topic: Class consolidation  (Read 28672 times)

AlanGalbraith

Class consolidation
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2006, 05:17:47 PM »
another thing to consider....

not everyone wants to run 200+ mph.

so what if some of the classes are "slow"?

pushrod classes? small cc classes? vintage classes?

not second class citizens at all. Racers, just like anyone else.

going 90mph on a 20hp bike is a challenge, and worthy of having a venue.

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
Class consolidation
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2006, 09:26:46 PM »
Quote from: AlanGalbraith
another thing to consider....

going 90mph on a 20hp bike is a challenge, and worthy of having a venue.

I hear ya Alan, if I had 17 BHP I'd be in heaven,,ans 85 MPH would be good for an orgasm or two ](*,)
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Slow ?
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2006, 10:51:17 PM »
No one has ever said it is not honorable to go less than 200mph. The problem happens when a bazilian classes all offer the same reward even if you are 100 mph slow. BMW has a current AD around saying they have a "World Record" in a production class that anybody can buy a number of stockers that can beat it by a lot.
Individual performance is divided by the number of classes available. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Slow?
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2006, 09:15:54 AM »
Speaking of that BMW ad -- a guy I know told me how a BMW now holds THE WORLD RECORD (emphasis his) for 1350 production bikes, at about 173 or so.  Hunh?, I said -- I thought Rick Y. ran a 202+ on his 1350 P/P 'Busa back in 2001 or so and that number is still in the book.

So the guy brought in his BMW Owners magazine, and then it became a little clearer.  Andy Sills rode the bike at last fall's Bub's meet, and sure enough, he did go that fast and got FIM certification, too.

So I guess he can lay claim to a world record speed, even though there are a probably half-dozen or more 1350 cc (or even less) bikes that'll go faster than that and still be legal in "Production" class.

Whatever -- the certificates on my walls say "World Land Speed Record", and if somebody wants to challenge me on whether my bike's the fastest in the world in this or that class -- hey, meet me on the Salt this August.  It ain't bragging when you've got a timing slip to prove it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Yup
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2006, 09:41:37 AM »
"It ain't bragging if you can do it.
It is BS when you can buy it.
When everybody has one it is priceless." :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

bak189

Class consolidation
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2006, 11:55:23 AM »
If it is a FIM Record....it is a "World Record"......BNI record is a "Club Record"  BMW got a "FIM WORLD RECORD" at the BUB meet.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Yup
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »
They bought the best that money can buy.
It is a shame that it is not as fast as stock bikes that are available to anyone with even less money.
It sorta takes the edge off the flavor.
Even the BMW customers find it to be a laugher.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
Record verbiage
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2006, 12:54:18 PM »
Okay, I yield the point -- Andy got an FIM world record on a 1350 production class bike at the 2005 Bub meet, running 173+.  Good on him.

And Rick Y. got an SCTA record on a 1350 production class bike at SpeedWeek of '99, running 201+.  Good for him, too.

So if I've got it right, the world FIM record holder has run about 16% slower than the fastest bike on earth in this class.

Hmmm, I gotta think about this for a while.  Something sort of diminishes the value of the words "world record"  when I compare those speeds.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
WHENEVER
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2006, 01:07:01 PM »
When the entire event serves at the pleasure of the promoter, it tends to get that way.

bak189

Class consolidation
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2006, 01:18:46 PM »
You got it Slim......We have run consistently faster with our sidecars then the "World Record" for sidecars and todate have not been willing to put out the money required to go for a FIM Record.
However, if BMW payed up front they can advertise their "Word Record"
And just think, Slim, a outlay of money will allow you to beat the BMW record and become "World Famous"  Go for it....you got my support.....see you at the BUB meet in Sept.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
The satisfactiion
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2006, 02:13:32 PM »
The real satisfaction will be in the real speed, not the real budget.
You would have choked at the proposed budget that was required by the existing FIM sidecar record holder to go back and run again with the same package. I suspect the reality caught up with the real result sooner than they anticipated.
The fastest vehicles in this sport boil down to individual efforts, not corporate budgets, with satisfaction and respect to match. :wink:

landracing

Class consolidation
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2006, 02:36:01 PM »
They BMW must be carefull.. If they are advertising the "FIM World Record Holder" they are subject to very stiff penalties... Until it is ratified it is a "Subject to FIM Ratification" If they impose articles that say different then that they are subject to a 10x ratification fee's... This is how it reads fromthe FIM

"IF the record is still in the process of being ratified, any advertising concening  the results of the attempt must clearly state, in sufficiently legible characters, "Subject to FIM ratification".
These requirements must be respected and infringement will entail a fine of 10 times the ratification fee and/or other penalties state in the FIM regulations"

So the Nov 8 article that came out could be subject...

Jon

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
Records
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2006, 02:42:53 PM »
The SCTA makes it way easier -- "No record is to be considered official until Dan Warner has had a beer or two to think about it" or something like that, right?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
I kinda thought
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2006, 02:51:52 PM »
Ratification would have been scheduled for the world Congress I think in October. That is when all the rules that apply to the application are reviewed.
That includes the required prior notice ,appropriate equipment and officials,adequate results , and timely publication of the application to the appropriate parties for comment .
Not all the applications are approved and that penalty applies if you wish to go forward with the application in the face of the violation.
No one is authorized to make it up as they go along.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Records
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2006, 03:00:46 PM »
Quote from: Seldom Seen Slim
The SCTA makes it way easier -- "No record is to be considered official until Dan Warner has had a beer or two to think about it" or something like that, right?

"Club level efforts are expected to produce club level results and meet only their demands.
Anybody else can do it any other way. There are only  leaders as long as they have followers. :wink: "