Author Topic: Class consolidation  (Read 28652 times)

aswracing

Class consolidation
« on: October 27, 2004, 07:27:00 PM »
We have, IMO, WAAAAY too many classes.

The obvious opportunity for some consolidation would be "A" and "M". Those have always been close together and people cross over all the time (I've done it too). In many cases, the "M" record exceeds the "A".

What about vintage classes? How many vintage bikes are there really, and how far off are the records?

Does it make sense to have both BF and BG engine classes? I mean, boost and exotic fuels are both methods for increasing VE.

These are just ideas, good bad or otherwise. Others?

Consolidation decisions have to be made with an eye on the customer base, though. The idea is to get lots of people to come to the event. Do something that makes a group of bikes non-competitive in any class and those people will stay home.

Still, I think we have too many right now.

rdugan

Re: Class consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 09:04:00 PM »
why do you think we have too many?  too many for what?  i've heard this stated before and really don't understand what the downside is of having as many classes as we do.  

for instance, (paraphrasing) you say M and A could be combined because the bikes are similar... that's because a lot of people don't take full advantage of the A rules...  combining the classes would either: A, limit creativity by putting more restrictions on A bikes or, B, cut out a lot of people from competing because their mildly modified bike can't possibly go against the twin-engined thing pitted next to them.

it ain't broke, IMO.

cheers,
 rd

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 02:57:00 AM »
keep them the way they are.
 gives us new guys more opportunities to get somewhere or records to shoot at.

Offline yamagamma

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »
IMHO the existing class structure is just fine, and I certainly would not want to see Modified and Altered consolidated. If anything they should be more clearly defined.

I would suggest keeping the existing Modified rules (including existing fairing restrictions in MPS)but... open up the Altered class to an "Anything goes" class with no fairing restrictions.(I'm hearing a lot of people on this site wanting this to happen)

This would allow full dustbin fairings,and enclosed tails if you so wish in the Altered class only. A lot of NSU/Bert Munroe type replica's would appear and I think it would be good for the sport, and for the speeds.... and isn't that what LSR is all about?
Never underestimate an old guy on a Yamaha!

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »
there are alot of vintage bikes.

Given more time I would have run 3 at the Bub's event, as it was, I only got to run 1. There were several others there as well.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »
what "harm" does having all the different classes do?

Clay Taylor

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 06:25:00 PM »
Hi all -

As a non-racer (so far, anyway), the number of classes available to both bikes and cars can be pretty daunting.   During my six-hour visit to the World Finals in Oct., I met a fellow who was attending Bonneville for the first time.  We walked the pits together, I gave him a capsule explanation of how to "read" the classes lettered on the various cars - engine size, blown or natrually-aspirated, fuel or gas, etc.  He seemed pretty impressed at the number of different types of vehicles that could compete for a record.

What makes it all work is the fact that Land Speed Racing is all for the pure enjoyment of speed - no prize money, no sponsorship dollars that are dependent on TV airtime to recoup the sponsor's investment, no unlimited dollars devoted to cashing in on as many records as possible.

Clay Taylor

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 06:59:00 PM »
All -

Ooops! I hit the wrong button before I could finish my thoughts.  

Anyway, I think that the number of classes available should be limited only if they become too numerous for the sanctioning body to keep straight (in this day of laptop computers and databases, that shouldn't be a problem), or more importantly if the distinctions between classes become so complex that the tech inspectors at the event have difficulty sorting things out in a timely manner.

I think back to racers competing at Connecticut Dragway back in the late 60's and early 70's (before Bracket Racing).  You got a trophy even if you were the only guy competing in an obscure class like T/SA, and then you had the chance to run against all the class winners for $50 or $100.  The point is that there was an incentive to come out and race, no matter how small the racing budget.

Keep the diversity...

Clay Taylor
 Moodus, CT

Offline joea

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 02:56:00 PM »
Yes, Yamagamma has it RIGHT,
 altered for more altered everything including aero

as it is now, not much difference between most
 modified and altered configurations.........

Joe  :)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 04:32:00 PM »
Information.In SCTA/BNI there are 1857 Motorcycle classes available and only 671 car classes. I have a spread sheet with the break down if anyone wants it. I will e-mail to you interested. Let me know and send me your address.
 Glen (Ret. Chief Timer SCTA/BNI)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
For the second year in a row.
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 06:32:31 AM »
The AMA records of Vesco (318) and Campos (321) are not listed.
You would not call that consolated would you ?
What is it ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 06:58:32 AM »
Quote from: joea
Yes, Yamagamma has it RIGHT,
 altered for more altered everything including aero

as it is now, not much difference between most
 modified and altered configurations.........

Joe  :)

As most of you know Im trying my hardest to make this a reality down under , but the ppl I have to convince are talking to SCTA ppl ,who are addvising ,its a bad move and far to dangerous  :cry: I am now reverting to plan B  as there is more than one way to skin a cat  :wink:
We(m/c) are also looking at class consolidation , but from a different angle ,reducing the number of engine sizes
Gary
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
EASY
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 07:36:01 AM »
Combine the Class A and M. The faster bikes are M anyway. Who cares where your footpegs are ?
Eliminate the sidecar. They have disolved into a solo bike with a tag wheel anyway.
 Unless you have a bike that runs with a monkey in another series, what is it  ?
Don't change the engine dimentions or types.
The aero limitations are for good reasons that are often distastful to LSR folks but real none the less.
Lead by example, don't follow by default.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Class consolidation
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 01:27:42 PM »
I wanna run a "Boss Hoss" in production!! LOL
peace and grease
kent

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Class consolidation
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 01:46:30 PM »