Author Topic: Chain drives:  (Read 13052 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Chain drives:
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »
Interesting video, looked like the chain was a little loose... or the drive sprocket is a little small, didn't notice a number... we run 530 X-ring, about  120 pins on the lakester, and a chain tensioner on the slack side, mostly because the suspension pivot and the front sprocket are about 10 inches apart.  I would think a chain is more efficient than a geared differential but what do I know...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JoshH

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 10:59:23 PM »
Stainless,

As it was described to by me the chain was not as loose as it looks to be in the video. Not sure if they ever figured out what was going on. Sprocket setups typically 16/48 in such a machine, nothing like what you guys are used to. That's probably why the article in question only covers the small front sprockets - race car engineering would gear such an article towards bike powered formula cars and sports racers.

Josh

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 07:17:43 AM »
I  posted the other day in LSR GENERAL CHAT a visit with jack costella.  No one has looked at it , maybe i posted in the wrong area.      

Sheri Buchta

sorry glen  i changed it

You be wrong, Sheri.....I checked it....I liked to see my old friend Jack and how wide his smile is after all last year......and I'm glad to see his smile so wide as it was long time not.... :-D

Thanks for sharing the picture
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 07:33:19 AM »
To Rick and the NT2.

Some year ago Rick had some trouble with his chain - after half of the run the chain was stretched. Terry brought one of the chain we use in our streamliner to the salt.

There was no effect on this chain - but the sprocket out of the transmission was gone. When I checked the sprocket axle I found out that the axle had a crack before and it was more than one run which let them break.

Also we found out, that the chain drive was not aligned properly, the chain went "around" a vertical tube from the frame.

Rick rebuilt the transmission and used a stronger chain from his brand, also the chain drive was aligned properly - after that he never had a problem again.

To the 360 mph run - he run a 92 cu engine - he told me that 800 hp would be possible - but he used in the measured mile around 600 hp - at the first mile after the start he has to run a very low boost, due the rough salt in this mile and the lack of a suspension. In the second mile he increased than the boost to the level he run in the timed mile.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 12:07:45 PM »
I would think a chain is more efficient than a geared differential

X2

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 12:34:42 PM »
The pitch diameter change (going over the center of a link) which causes the damage is about 1.7% for 17 tooth, doubles with 12 tooth to 3.4%, drops to 1% with a 22,  to .75% with a 26, to .5% with a 31. I have an Excel for this if interested.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 01:04:58 PM »
I've heard the question asked and answered a bunch of times -- about why my touring bike has shaft drive instead of chain.  Besides easier maintenance and less oil slinging -- I've been told that a shaft drive has about half the loss that a chain drive has.  I have no data -- just hearsay, but I've been glad to pass it on over the years.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 01:42:14 PM »
Chains on racing bikes have always been a problem.........but the "old timers" knew and understood the problem.........look at the large sprockets on some of our Vintage roadrace bikes
(Norton Manx....AJS 7R....enc.) more wrap around
slower chain speed....................................................

Back in the 1960's when we ran our Norton on Axtells chassis dyno, we put a strobe light on the rear chain while under full load.......it was downright scary what we saw....................................

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 10:43:22 PM »
Can someone pleae help me get a copy of said Racecar Engineerig article?  I was trying to get it on Racecar Engineering's website with no prevail.
Thank you in advance

Michael Werner
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

sqrly

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 01:32:23 PM »
The 90 or so % efficiency of a chain drive is about as good as it gets for any drive system.  I dont know the efficiency percentages of MC shaft drives but I do know that they are lower. I think between 75-80%  The maintenance schedule is the biggest draw to those systems.  Cleanliness and reliability are generally good too, but not always.  I have no opinion ether way towards belts.

I did however find a secret chain lube that is fantastic.  While on a 7100mile sport touring ride, my 30k old chain started wearing VERY rapidly.  2k from home and a holiday weekend I couldn't find a chain, so I picked up some bar and chain oil for a chainsaw liberally doused the chain every 50-100 miles.  The chain wear almost halted the rest of the trip home.  This was on an O-ring 525 chain but many of the O-rings were chewed and no longer sealed properly.  Since then, I lightly coat the sprocket side of the chain with bar and chain oil using a rag.  The sling off is much less that any other non-wax lube I have ever tried and I am not a fan of wax lubes.

That being said, I am planning to use a shaft drive if I ever build a liner.