Author Topic: Sidecars and the SCTA/BNI  (Read 16376 times)

McRat

Re: Sidecars and the SCTA/BNI
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 11:19:04 AM »
...What exactly would one do on a LSR rig?

Someone needs to answer the cell phone since the driver is busy, I heard this has cause problems in the past.

:-D

Old story, true IIRC - Big desert race in SoCal, one of the racers always had his dog ride along on the tank.  He had a piece of carpet on the tank for the dog to grip on.
A lady TV reporter sees this, and admonishes:

"How terrible!  What if the poor little doggy falls off!"

"Uh, lady?  What if POOR LITTLE ME FALLS OFF! :roll:"

Some (most) dragstrips allow passengers up to 13.99, and the tracks are insured.  13.99 is about 100mph.  Without a passenger, it's not a sidecar, it's a tricycle.

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 11:59:56 AM »
"Insurance"  is just a excuse......"insurance"  has nothing to do with it.......back in 1987 when our dear friends Elmo and the boys outlawed passengers at SCTA/BNI it was all about the car people asking  "Hey, if those guys on the sidecars can take a passenger, why can't I take my wife Maggie down the course in my roadster"
That's what it is all about.......A couple of former board members have told me so on several
occasions.  SCTA/BNI is a car racing org................
If insurance is the reason.......WHY does the BUB
give sidecar racers the option of using a passenger. 
SCTA/BNI is all about land racing CARS........and you M/C racers have to understand this......in fact
for 2009 car Tech will be inspecting your M/C
streamliners......is this the beginning of a major change.  There is another option for you M/C racers...........it is called the BUB ALL MOTORCYCLE
SPEED TRIALS.................end of sermon.....................

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 12:03:23 PM »
"Insurance"  is just a excuse......"insurance"  has nothing to do with it.......back in 1987 when our dear friends Elmo and the boys outlawed passengers at SCTA/BNI it was all about the car people asking  "Hey, if those guys on the sidecars can take a passenger, why can't I take my wife Maggie down the course in my roadster"
That's what it is all about.......A couple of former board members have told me so on several
occasions.  SCTA/BNI is a car racing org................
If insurance is the reason.......WHY does the BUB
give sidecar racers the option of using a passenger. 
SCTA/BNI is all about land racing CARS........and you M/C racers have to understand this......in fact
for 2009 car Tech will be inspecting your M/C
streamliners......is this the beginning of a major change.  There is another option for you M/C racers...........it is called the BUB ALL MOTORCYCLE
SPEED TRIALS.................end of sermon.....................

Thank you.

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 12:21:24 PM »
If there would be any doubt as to the status of M/C racers with SCTA/BNI.......................................
All one has to do is go to the SCTA/BNI Website
it states  "sponsors of the world's fastest
AUTOMOTIVE speed trials"........................................
Any questions?????????........................Amen.............

PS. "insurance will not allow it"................................

Offline Freud

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 02:57:50 PM »
At least the motorcycles can now integrate into the lines.

When I first went they were off to the side by themselves.

I think there was a time when they had to be invited to run.

Someone will correct me if I am incorrect.

FREUD
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:59:28 PM by Freud »
Since '63

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 07:58:19 PM »
You are right on, Freud......I first raced a M/C
at Bonneville in 1954.......and thing were different
in those days.....certainly M/C's get better treatment these days.......and don't get me wrong
SCTA/BNI does a outstanding job with  great
volunteers......and until 2003 they were the only
game in town to go LSR for a M/C racer.......this year will be my 30+ plus years as a member of BNI
and I will continue my membership in the future.
But some of the "new" LSR M/C racers, who complain at times regarding the M/C Rules....need to understand that the M/C Rules Committee does the best they can..........but in the end, it is the "car people" calling the shots.......
So if you want "M/C people" calling the shots,
(like we do regarding sidecar passengers) there is now another org. to race with.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 04:53:38 PM »
i bought a used harley with a sidecar  funny it didnt come with a monkey a dummy or a passenger  --we get your sidecar passenger thing---this isnt roadracing or motocross its LAND SPEED RACING     willie buchta
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 06:33:30 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
Hey Willie, did your used Harley sidecar outfit come with a driver??? I know you stated it did not come with a passenger.......I would think your used Harley had a sidecar attached to carry a passenger............or maybe the kickstand was broken so they mounted a sidecar to keep it from falling over...........................................................
All we ask is that we are given the option to carry a passenger............some will like to run a
"wheel on a stick tricycle" and some will want to run a real sidecar.... w/passenger......give us the OPTION..... that is all we ask for..........very simple
to understand I would think....................................

PS. Insurance has nothing to do with it!!!!!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 06:02:41 PM »
Hey Willie, did your used Harley sidecar outfit come with a driver??? I know you stated it did not come with a passenger.......I would think your used Harley had a sidecar attached to carry a passenger............or maybe the kickstand was broken so they mounted a sidecar to keep it from falling over...........................................................
All we ask is that we are given the option to carry a passenger............some will like to run a
"wheel on a stick tricycle" and some will want to run a real sidecar.... w/passenger......give us the OPTION..... that is all we ask for..........very simple
to understand I would think....................................

PS. Insurance has nothing to do with it!!!!!

Bob,

I take exception with your blasphemous comments regarding the other racing bikes that are not passenger carrying while racing on the dirt or salt, calling my bike a "wheel on a stick tricycle" is demeaning and show's what you really know..it's called a "wheel on a stick sidecar" and us other 15 sidecar/wheel on a stick pilots would appreciate if you could get it right.  :-D

See you in May?  :wink:

J

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 06:19:10 PM »
What is ant roadracing like?  Seems to me they stay in line a lot.  Could be like the Long Beach Grand Prix?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline willieworld

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 06:39:15 PM »
if you want to carry a passenger on your sidecar go to the BUB meet----i remember a while back noonan invited anyone who wanted to be a passenger to come on out---there wasnt a long line -actually there wasnt a line at all ---   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »
So sorry John N ......you are right I will not call them tricycles anymore......just "Wheel on a stick"
You are also right, Willie , that is why we race the BUB.............................................................................
but we would also like to race SCTA/BNI like we did prior to 1987 w/passenger.................................

PS. Insurance has nothing to do with it!!!!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 09:03:25 PM »
And i would like to hit the lottery----but hey it is what it is---willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 11:02:16 PM »
A wheel on a stick is what is accepted by SCTA as a sidecar and is a great way to get more points. I will re-visit a  point that I made earlier on this thread; every other RACING disipline that accepts and races sidecars has a passenger involved. You are right Willie, it is what it is with the SCTA, unlike any other sidecar RACING class anywhere. As noted by the esteemed 1194 we are very greatful for national and international sactioning bodies like the AMA and FIM (BUB) who RACE sidecars that allow the true meaning of the discipline.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 11:12:10 PM »
My opinion on passengers Is, I think, known on this forum.

F.I.M. "sidecar" a.k.a. wheel on a stick.

By weslake at 2009-04-17

SCTA sidecar (read room for a passenger)

By weslake, shot with Canon PowerShot A430 at 2009-04-10
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.