Author Topic: Frank Oddo passes  (Read 11868 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Frank Oddo passes
« on: March 14, 2009, 10:46:24 AM »
Long time Bonneville and lakes racer Frank Oddo passed away on March 9th. Frank ran a flathead belly tank for many years. He was also a writer for Street Rod Magazine.
RIP Frank
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

Re: Frank Oddo passes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:47:25 PM »
He was a fun fellow to work with. I supplied fotos for him for his Speed Week coverage.

Not only was he a racer, he was a good writer.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:53:33 PM »
Another hot rod hero passes.  RIP

Mike

BTW I'll bet that his '40 coupe appeared in Street Rodder more than any other car.

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:46:39 PM »
I will miss Frank on the sideline of the starting area....sitting on his chair....waiting for the next racer...roadster and lakester......two wheels...this racer missing two wheels......to Frank's opinion.

RIP Frank...you was a great "chat" on the startingline

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Lakesterguy

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 11:04:58 PM »
Could someone post a pic of Frank?

Many racers aren't too good with names but never forget faces.

TIA.
Future lakester racer!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:18:25 PM »
This was just emailed to me -- and I'll post it here, along with the contact information I got.

"Tony Baron <flathead@aaahawk.com>

Frank Otto,  A Great Hot Rodder, Writer for Street-Rodder, Rod&Custom, Hot-Rod Books, and Dry lakes &  Bonneville Racer passed away this past Weekend.  Frank interviewed my Dad (Frank Baron) and me for an article for Street Rodder in 1976. Thanks for the Memories and God Bless you Frank.  Regards, Tony Baron"
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 10:05:46 PM »
Frank also interviewed my Mom and I about a story he did in Street Rodder about the Wayne 12 Port heads, Nov. '76.

God Speed Frank,
DW

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:53:24 PM »
This was posted earlier in a different thread ( Old B'ville Fotos ) but at this time I feel it's appropriate to repost.

This was done in 1975.

I haven't located a head shot.

FREUD
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:58:21 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 10:37:27 AM »
As I understand it the roadster shown above is owned by Zeke Zackerson in St. George Utah. He has been running a Chevy six in it for years. Don't know who has the belly tank Frank ran.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 07:55:25 PM »
The JULY issue of Street Rodder Magazine has a tribute to Frank just inside the cover.

I just saw it on the news stand.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 01:24:46 AM »
Since '63

Offline inline292

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 12:25:59 AM »
Frank was a very nice guy. I'm sorry to read of his passing. He was one of the original group that started the "40's Limited" car club is how I met him. He rode up to B'ville with me the 1st time he went. That was '71 or '72 I think. We both ran our '40 coupes at El Mirage. He and his wife had driven his '40 on a vacation from So. Cal. to Louisiana where he had grown up & attended LSU. He was always a gentleman & a pleasure to be around.
I'll have to go look for the Street Rodder tribute story. I hope they did him a good one.
Doug

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline fastman614

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 03:26:23 AM »
I helped Frank as a crew member in 1976 when he set a speed record in G/STR with a 2000cc Datsun powered street rod sponsored by his employer, McMullen Publishing. Frank and his group and we Canadians, The Original Fastguys, pitted together for a few years in the later 70s. I pushed Frank off on his 201+ MPH run with Bruce Geisler's supercharged engine in the #29 Roadster (which, after burning down 3 pistons, was only 3 mph off the record). Frank did a picture shoot and article for Street Rodder magazine's sister publication, Street Chopper magazine, of our KZ1000 turbocharged Kawasaki in out debut year (1977) and graciously ceded credit for the article to a Street Chopper staff writer. The last time I saw Frank was (where else?) at Bonneville Speedweek (2008). Frank hung out with us for a couple of days while we worked at setting the 254mph speed record with our Vega. We're gonna miss you, Frank.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 01:04:20 AM »
Mr Oddo wrote an easy to understand book "Street Rodders Handbook."  I recall that is the name, but my memory is not the best.  He put a lifetime's worth of experience into that book.  It tells the average fellow the basics he will need to build a traditional hot rod.  It shows the various styles used through the years.  It helped me, a guy that will never build a car, to appreciate the decisions and work that go into making one.

People that take the time and effort to write about the things they do and know are a special part of our life.  In a way Frank is gone, but he is still here.  His writing remains with us.