Author Topic: Question about gas tank protector in unfaired class  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
Question about gas tank protector in unfaired class
« on: March 13, 2009, 06:44:14 PM »
I have copied this post from my build diary regarding unfaired rules...

I have a question about the "tank protector" I want to install. I have 2 ideas...one is like a simple skid plate that has been recommended and the other is curved horizontally in front of the tank with a bottom plate also. Both are designed to deflect anytyhing picked up by the front tire. The question is: will either of these designs disqualify me from running in the "unfaired" class, such as A/PBG

Here are pics of each mocked up with cardboard...

Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Question about gas tank protector in unfaired class
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 08:18:24 PM »
are you looking for an ecta or SCTA answer?
kent

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:43:44 PM »
I have no idea what they would look at, but if I was looking I would say the rounded one does give you and aero advantage over the front of the tank unfaired.  So to have a squared off tank and then an aero shaped shield would in my mind constitute aerodynamics.

Now if the front of the tank was rounded to gain the necessary volume and the shield was in the same shape you might have a case, but probably a pretty thin one.

Nice work though and remember I won't be in impound inspecting anything, so the above holds no water,

Sum

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 10:00:21 PM »
are you looking for an ecta or SCTA answer?
kent

Mostly ECTA Kent. I doubt I would run it at Bonneville without that fairing you made for me.

Thanks for the response Sum.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »
Todd Dross called last night and gave me some tips on the tank protector plate. It looks like I'm going to build something that follows the shape of the tank so there is no aero advantage. I have some aluminum plate that I will use, so if it does touch something hard, there will be no sparks.

Thanks Todd :cheers:
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 01:14:20 PM »
Sparks ... Maxton problem ... you wont have to worry about that at Bonneville ... Joe

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 02:56:28 PM »
Sparks ... Maxton problem ... you wont have to worry about that at Bonneville ... Joe

The gas tank is mounted low to present a narrow profile for running in the unfaired class at Maxton, Joe. I will have the Charlie Toy fairings on it when I run at Bonneville. There are a lot more places to put the tank when I have the fairing on, if the low tank conflicts with the fairing.
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc