Author Topic: Clarification of Roof Rail rules  (Read 3174 times)

Offline White Monster

Clarification of Roof Rail rules
« on: March 12, 2009, 09:12:56 AM »
Hi, all,

Along with the big HP set-up we are installing in the Firecracker at the moment, we will also need to put on a roof rail in anticipation of the great speeds we will attain.   :-D

We (unfortunately) have T-tops on the race car and are thinking of running the roof rails all the way from the front windshield, across the T-tops, back to the rear window.  We are thinking that the roof rails will incorporate the top windshield tabs, T-top securing points and top rear window tabs.

The question is; will this design meet the requirement of securing the T-tops and is there a rule or guideline of how many attaching points on the roof rails we need to have ?

Thanks for your assistance in advance,
Just a bunch of Newbies
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Clarification of Roof Rail rules
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:56:47 AM »
Whjat about getting rid of the T tops?  Un less you REALLY clamp down on them they are going to try to depart at worse---air leak at best.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline t russell

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 04:11:06 PM »
You will need to put another strap on the opposite side from the rails.I would loose the tops.
Just my thoughts
terry

Offline White Monster

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 06:30:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

We know we need to have window tabs on the bottom side of the windows as well and if we get rid of the t-tops, we will have a huge air leak.   :wink:
We have been thinking about removing the t-tops for racing and installing filler panels.

The question remains; will this design meet the requirement of securing the T-tops and is there a rule or guideline of how many attaching points on the roof rails we need to have ?

Offline t russell

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 01:38:44 PM »
What I ment was make panels to fill in the t-top.Have the rail secure the out side edge.Then run a strap
across the other side 1in from edge.
I would think this would be more than enough.
terry

Offline White Monster

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 09:30:09 AM »
Sweet, thanks Terry.