Author Topic: Bub Prize money  (Read 6702 times)

Offline yamagamma

Bub Prize money
« on: October 26, 2004, 10:01:00 PM »
I think if they re-structured the prize money a lot more entrants could be attracted to this meet. Right now Top time of the meet gets $10 grand, and $1000 for runner up. Top time, sit-on bike gets the same. That's a whopping $22 grand going to just four bikes!

We have 14 engine class divisions right now, 50, 100, 125, 175, 250, 350, 500 etc. etc. Give the fastest bike in each engine division $1000 each.That would be nice!
 Give the Overall Top speed of the meet $4000 and the fastest sit-on bke $4000. They still walk away with $4000 plus $1000 for fastest in their class and there would be a lot more happy campers.

As it sits right now, anybody not running a Busa is SOL for a look in at any of the big prize money.So why bother showing???

I'd also change the MPH/CC rules. I'd add the caveat "awarded only to a machine breaking an existing SCTA or AMA class record during the event" This would make sure the money goes to a proper land speed bike, not some contraption designed simply to win the cash.
Never underestimate an old guy on a Yamaha!

landracing

Re: Bub Prize money
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 01:02:00 PM »
Yamma,

I really like that idea alot. Have a prize fund for each engine class. That would really bring out the competitors for each class division.

Jonathan

landracing

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »
Yamma,

all three of the bikes that ran the MPH/CC all were in proper classes. 50cc classes. I say leave it alone but add a statement that says you must drive or ride your vehicle the entire length of the course.

Jon

Offline k.h.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 02:44:00 PM »
Prizes generate interest, but how does this affect the "amateur" aspect of the sport, or amateur standing of individual riders?  Is it relevant?  Is there a downside to purses?  I'm okay with prize money, if it is limited to the Bub Event only, and the other venues remain amateur.  Bub can be the new frontier.

For most people, the prize $ will probably never come close to covering costs.  But the suggested idea of spreading the wealth to more entrants based on engine class might well encourage more motorcycle participants.  Will folks travel across the country to watch or ride pocket racers, once the new gimmick factor wears off?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

landracing

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 03:37:00 PM »
Kh.

Pocket racers or the ONE that ran, is only a very very very very very small part in what Denis is trying to acheive in the event.

Trust me BUB's event will be the only event that has prize money available. And you can still call Denis BUB meet amateur event. why not???? Still innovation, just because you have a few sponsors of the event doesn't make it not amateur.

Jon

aswracing

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 07:40:00 PM »
I like this idea, although I think it might make it more difficult to get prize money sponsors.

But it would help fill the field. Hell, I'll enter my pit bikes if there's a chance of winning a grand with one of them  ;)

And it'll help fill the record books, which are in need of it.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »
Nancy and I went to Bub's knowing that we didn't have much of a chance to win prize money because of the structure of the prizes.  So we went to run for "time only" and to get some seat time and maybe learn something.  And then conditions and other factors combined to limit the amount of runs we made, so we didn't get a whole heck of a lot of what we expected, either.  Oh, well, that's racing, as some like to say.

If there had been a prize (class) structure where our bikes would have been competitive we sure as hell would have given it a run, so to speak.  I know that I'm never going to run as fast as Hank or John Noonan or Steve Knecum on Larry's Project 260 bike - they've got bigger motors than me, as well as them little hair-dryer blower thingies on their bikes.  (Note that I don't advocate separate blown/unblown classes for now - let's worry about that after we get prize money for different size classes, then worry about blown/unblown).  And I know Nancy isn't going to run as fast as them even though she's got a blower on her bike -- just 'way fewer cc's.  But if she were running against other 250's -- once again we'd give it our best.

I also asked, before we registered, about prize money for "fastest female rider" -- and was told they'd be happy to offer such a class - if we'd find someone to sponsor the prize (provide the money).  This attitude shows that the Bub's folks are very willing to expand their horizons to include new classes and prizes, so let's keep this string of kdeas going, winnow out the chaff, and help Bub's put together an event that will bring out the best in us all.

Sure hope the Salt is drier next year, though. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

AlanGalbraith

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by yamagamma:

As it sits right now, anybody not running a Busa is SOL for a look in at any of the big prize money.So why bother showing???

I dunno, the $5k for American and Metric V-Twin is nothing to sneeze at.

landracing

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 10:37:00 PM »
Yama,

You dont think that a 1000cc running 244 mph has a chance at that. 240 average speed. OOO did I forget to mention it was a ancient 1990 Kawasaki ZX10 garbage "ace hardware special" almost a vintage bike..

Noonan is the fastest with a mid 240's average, hanks bike with Dennis ridding went mid 240's for a average. Hank has only been 230's with that bike.

What about John Minnono with his harley went 226 one way, first year on the salt with a bad computer. I think he might have a chance.

What about Mabry bike which went 256 exit speed you dont think they may have a chance at that also.

So having a busa there doesn't mean anything, there are many that are competitive that do not own a busa. So that reason is lame in my opinion.

And who knows anything can happen on the salt. The fastest bike which took top prize only went 217-218, so in my book its all open for the taking.

Jon Wennergerg says
 "I know that I'm never going to run as fast as Hank or John Noonan or Steve Knecum on Larry's Project 260 bike they have bigger motors then me"

What about the guys who are running faster then you on smaller motors?

Jonathan

bak189

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 01:40:00 AM »
It is my understanding, a sponsor has stepped forward with dollars for the fastest sidecar for the 2005 BUB event. We also need sponsers for some of the small c.c. classes ...like 50 c.c.....125 c.c.

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 02:45:00 AM »
Well if we are placing orders for spreeding that cash around , what about fastest non U.S. bike, 5 big ones would just about cover the costs of attending  :)  for us aliens
 gary
slower than most

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 10:49:00 AM »
Hey, Jon, don't forget to finish quoting me.  I mentioned that those bikes include forced induction (turbos).  Your out-of-context quote isn't a fair representation of what I said -- it says what you chose to hear.  500 hp trumps 275 hp most of the time, no matter how you generate the power.  330 hp does, too, no matter how many cubic centimeters of motor are generating it.  

That was my point -- that without separate classes for blown & unblown there isn't a lot of hope for my (unblown) bike to claim a "fastest" prize at Bub's.  Blowers are one route to more horsepower, and it's a route that I haven't followed, that's all.

So - so what about the guys who are running faster THAN me on smaller motors?  Do you think that Joe's 240++ hasn't inspired me to try to go that fast, using my choice of means to get there?  Can I run 240++ on nitrous?  See you on the Salt - and we'll find out!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »
Steve had already spent the $10,000. as had John (LOL) so anything can happen. I think it is fair that the big money goes to the big speeds. However there definately should be other incentives to bring competitors.   LSL

Hank

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 10:35:00 PM »
For a recorded speed,that is correct.My entry speed at Bubs was in the 240's on my GPS ---and yes,I know that does not count---(241+)---and I may never go any faster.I hope this year I will be on a bike that does not break down or one that will pull clean to red line so i don't have to work the throttle as much for miles at a time,to get speed up.I think I will do better this year.I appreciate your speed tip,but I am saving that for my last option.My new kanooter valves worked great at the dyno shootout,and  i am looking forward to testing them on the salt.  :D

<small>[ March 07, 2005, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Hank ]</small>

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 12:11:00 AM »
Congrat's Hank, Michelle and I hope you have the best of times and get that 250+ pass and take the records you deserve..

J