Author Topic: MODEL T 'LINER?  (Read 6756 times)

Offline STUTZ

• New folks
MODEL T 'LINER?
« on: March 05, 2009, 08:11:16 PM »
Don't know whether this has been here before but anyways. I found this a few weeks ago. Some bloke back in the late 20s named Harry Stevenson took a junk Model T tourer and built a streamlined body from, I'm guessing, a wooden frame and steel panels. What's Interesting to me is that he installed a Chevy trans inline after the Ford unit giving him 7 forward gears and 5 reverse.Claimed speed was 70MPH[Model T 45MPH] and 38MPG[25MPG] Engine was bonestock Henry.This is amazing. Apparently he used the trans[shaft]brake and gears to stop as the brakes were not strong enough. My question is: Is this possible? Do any of the guys running/racing vintage know of this modifacation? Has anybody tried something similar? [/img]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: MODEL T 'LINER?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 08:20:40 PM »
Franklin Ratliff and a friend of his, right?  The guy, I mean, not the dog.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 08:28:40 PM »
Can't be, no prop, looks wheel driven....
But I like the chop top look... even if it is really tall....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline STUTZ

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 08:34:44 PM »
Slim, we aren't going 'round this road again? Man,that previous subject started off good and then it was like 2 blondes in the mud pool. Don't spoil this one you you owner and his dog. oops. Stick with the subject already. :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 08:42:36 PM »
Stutz, I thought mine was on subject, no blonds, no mud... but now I have to ask a question, is that it in front of your house in the avatar.... Small picture, looks close.  If it is, start a build diary, bring it over and race it.....  :roll:

:cheers:
Stainless

Offline STUTZ

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:03:59 PM »
Yes it is, i mean, no it isn't...ahh, um, just liked it at the time, still do. It's kinda inspirational when i see stuff like that. Could it be possible?  If you wanna send the parts over and Ford sponsors the trip you and me will share driving duties. With economy like that we could race all day on one tank. :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »
....  If you wanna send the parts over and Ford sponsors the trip you and me will share driving duties. With economy like that we could race all day on one tank. :cheers:

Good news and bad news.... lately you can race all day on one tank.... you get your 1 or 2 passes 6 to 10 miles....

Stainless

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:25:44 PM »
Sorry, Stutz -- I got two (count them, two!) emails aimed at me by Mr. Ratliff today and when I saw the photo his name just naturally came to me.  I promise I won't bring up the subject again.

Nancy is going to the tattoo parlor tomorrow, speaking of two blondes (both she and Michelle, the artist).  It's quite a sight to behold - almost as good as that Model T 'liner.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 09:30:08 PM »
The use of inline transmissions has been done many,many times in home made tractors to give lower gear ratios. Unless one was mounted backward to create a multi speed over-drive, it would be next to useless. Shame that guy didn`t have an E-Wheel . :cheers:  Jerry
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline STUTZ

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:44:27 PM »
Jerry,           If it did have a trans mounted backwards would it be possible to gain so much speed? Remember it was a stock motor. Thats like gaining 10 to 20hp without touching the engine. Do you think all the gears would be used?                                                 Stutz.

Offline STUTZ

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 10:28:49 PM »
Hey Slim, I should have responded to you before i did to Jerry but i'm not mean't to be doing this at this time of the dat y'see. i don't know if i should laugh at the end of your first paragraph or the second one. Ah heck, you can drive too. We'll call it the Seldom Seen Stainless Stutz.   Imagine pulling up to Burkland at 400 and waiting for him to peer out the window in shock, just then throw it into 6th and  :-D                                                                                                                                                                  :cheers

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
Ivan, Welcome to the site. Running the trans. backward would do two things. (1) Kill any and all torque that poor T engine would make. (2) Make any attempt at shifting a study in futility. A person would be,in effect,"Down-shifting" the second transmission. And here`s a pair of guy`s ( Dan Webb&Craig Naff) who did have an English wheel and a love for the Golden Submarine.  J.B.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 09:11:18 AM by floydjer »
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline STUTZ

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 10:22:07 AM »
 Thanks J.B.

If the engine has lost all torque then where is the car getting all it's extra power from?
 Are you saying the claims of speed @ economy are false?

.......and yes, the Webb car is beautiful. Should be a t.v. show on metalworking. Something similar to the biker buildoff..

Ive

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 10:27:27 AM »
Streamlining.... better aero takes less HP
Stainless

Offline STUTZ

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 10:37:31 AM »
Do ya reckon all that heavy streamlining would have gained an extra 25mph?