Author Topic: Scrutineering for Bub's  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Scrutineering for Bub's
« on: October 26, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »
I sure would like it if the "scrutineering" were dove-tailed to match the SCTA/USFRA tech rules and requirements.  That is -- both of our bikes were passed by the SCTA about two weeks before Bub's, yet we had to make changes here and there to pass insp. at Bub', just 'cause the AMA has different rules.  Sidestands removed/wired in "up" position, safety wire on oil drain plug/oil filter, and so on -- not that these are things that shouldn't be attended to -- but why two sets of rules?  If it's good enough for SCTA/USFRA, why put the racers through the extra nervousness of a second set of rules?

Then, when arriving at "scrutineering", were we greeted with "scrutineers" telling us (about this, or that, or the other):  "Well, we admit we were being sort of anal about this on bikes earlier, but we've decided not to be so picky now, so you don't have to follow that rule after all>"  If it's a rule that's good enough for some, why modify it when people start bitching?  Hold 'em all tight to the rules, or don't enact it in the first place.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

Re: Scrutineering for Bub's
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 02:29:00 PM »
John,

SCTA rules done protect or concern with FIM or AMA rules.

Same with car guys, they must abide by FIA rules and they dont always match the SCTA. Different organziations.

You can also relate the rules from the SCTA to ECTA to Lake Gairdner who now have come out with their own rule book.

THE FIM and AMA are trying to set a standard for a bike, that no matter where in the world the rules are the same. Unlike the SCTA, ECTA and Lake Gairdner who have different rules.

same can be basketball, different rules for olympics then the NBA. Just were you go play you must use their rules...

Catch my drift.

Jonathan

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
That was odd
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 06:20:52 AM »
The AMA tech guys were unable to measure a HD motor because they said it was not a metric dimention.
It makes you wonder what do they do if they can't figure that out. They were about to disallow an entry  even in the face of the riders kid showing them the correct method to do the math.
Calmer heads prevailed and corrected the AMA folks but not without a problem.
I hope it will get better given the chance.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

landracing

Scrutineering for Bub's
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 09:16:26 PM »
Jack,

I find your conclusions not right. Aaron Wilson measured his H/D motor with no problems.

I believe the H/D motor in question a wrong dimension was written down. And after that a third party showed the error and all is well.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Fritz
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 10:02:21 PM »
The rider told me the tech guy was not able to do the math and the head tech guy over ruled the first one after Jason repeatedly showed him how to do it correctly.If you want to look at some AMA rules to compare, check out AMA Prostar Drag Racing.
Bowling Ball rules don't match Shuffle Board events.
When a tech requires a factory designed cotter pin that is correct for the application be removed and replaced with safety wire that is in shear, that tells me he knows more about the rules than the application. That does not inspire confidence
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Scrutineering for Bub's
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 02:23:13 AM »
Quote from: landracing
Jack,

I find your conclusions not right. Aaron Wilson measured his H/D motor with no problems.

I believe the H/D motor in question a wrong dimension was written down. And after that a third party showed the error and all is well.

Jon

The "Third" party got involved and "fixed" the "non" problem.  Both were doing math correct with the right formulas, one was not understanding of proper "decimal" placement..

All is fine now and the racer was given many apologies...and the AMA record he deserves..

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Gone but not forgotten.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 04:21:22 AM »
Vesco, Campos, and Corbin would wonder what or who
happened to their records. :oops:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Gone but not forgotten.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 09:45:25 PM »
Quote from: JackD
Vesco, Campos, and Corbin would wonder what or who
happened to their records. :oops:

Very true, as Scott always says, you cannot forget what others before you have done...