Author Topic: Rich Fox, and hidden knowledge.  (Read 6986 times)

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
Rich Fox, and hidden knowledge.
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:10:49 PM »
Dear Mr. Fox
 I have a request. Could you please give me, and other forum members a bit of a biography?
First of all I want to thank you for the knowledge you have instilled in me up to this point. Because ( And all of the Land Speed Racing Community. ) of you I have learned that being able to go fast doesn't mean a large wallet, and a catalog.
Okay... enough of the fluff.... You have just given me a "Teaser" of what you know on this website. I saw the pictures of your cheap fuel injection unit for your Plymouth Engine, I heard you adapted a Y- Block head to said engine... I've heard rumors of welding in Main Webs to engines.... What else do you have up your sleeve? I'm not out to discover your "secret weapon", but man you have so much to teach. Do you teach classes in Automotive Technology professionally, and if you do where? Can I take classes from you? Can I sleep on your couch? Do I asked to many questions? ( I'll pay for board, I won't eat your last slice of bologna, and I do dishes!) People have said I snore, but I've never noticed... If so I'll sleep in your garage if necessary.
 How about it Sir? I promise I won't show up on your doorstep if you would just please share some more of your knowledge with us. :-D

Offline smitty2

Re: Rich Fox, and hidden knowledge.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:11:14 PM »

Smitty.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 07:40:10 AM »
Rich----I think that there may be a "Fan Club" in the making here!!!!!!!!!!!!  :evil:  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:28:29 AM »
I'm a little overwhelmed. I don't teach, I'm still learning. It's to bad you missed the DIY articles I wrote for The Bonneville Racing News. I have contacted Smitty by email to take this off line.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:49:25 AM »
off line ya say.....  come on, just a little BIO...
kent

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:49:53 AM »
Rich, Pls dont do that---Just contact SSS and start your own build fourm site.---as DR. Mayf---says  "Inquiring minds need or (want)to know."  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 10:52:49 AM »
Well -- Smitty may have come on a little strong (in jest, I hope), but I've always thought you've had a lot to offer here.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 12:01:01 PM »
Come on Rich
We like to learn and you obviously have knowledge to impart.

Rick

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 12:28:23 PM »
To be completely honest I don't believe Plymouth four cylinder engines or Packard V8s are the future of Land Speed Racing. I attribute my Bonneville efforts to a misspent youth and to much experimentation in the 60's.

Offline smitty2

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 12:37:11 PM »
I'm sorry if I came on a little strong. I think it would be great if you shared some more of your expertise with us. I find it really interesting that someone is able to make a "Silk purse out of a Sows ear"so to speak. As far as inginuity and original thinking go... Land Speed racers are the best at making do with what they have.
 I have learned also that drinking beer and writing is not a wise thing to do. :roll:

Thanks..    Smitty

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 01:48:01 PM »
Yeah, and it stunts your growth. :evil:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RichFox

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 02:25:57 PM »
My dad was a Navy guy. In WW2 he did worked on improving radar-sonar for hunter/killer submarines. As an aside he was at least aware of the so called Philadelphia Experiment, and told me that something strange did happen there. That's all he told me. In '45 the Navy moved my family and a bunch of others to San Francisco Navy Yard. The families were to stay there and the men would go on eventually to Okinawa. The train crossed the Salt Flats at night and it was pitch black. Never the less my dad got me and my brother up and with the porter holding me we went to stand between the cars and see Bonneville. I guess I was impressed. A very early memory. Ten years later I'm reading about Bonneville Speed trials in R & C and Hot Rod and really want to go. But I'm still a kid. In High school I got a Bantam and started buildind a drag car. Always collecting parts for a Bonneville car but never making any progress. Army and then I finally got the Bantam on the track. What fun. In '66 The airline was on strike. I wasn't doing anything and it was SpeedWeek. Why not go take a look? how could anyone see that place and those cars and not want to be part of it? Took another ten years to get back.

Offline smitty2

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Rich. That Plymouth Engine is outstanding.

Smitty