Author Topic: Spotted on metalmeet  (Read 3208 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Spotted on metalmeet
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »
Anyone familiar w/ it?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Viking Biker

• New folks
    • www.ericksonracing.com
Re: Spotted on metalmeet
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:33:57 AM »
Cool. I don't know what it is. The shape is similar to the Indian Arrow and the Vetter Rifle fuel economy motorcycle.

-Jason

Offline Marcroux

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 03:05:57 PM »
Looks like a 500cc NSU from the fifties. Porkpie would know.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:53:38 PM »
its the William Noll BMW sidecar...FIM world record Oct 4th 1955 177mph (still waiting on ratification LOL)
Kent

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:03:12 PM »
Yep, Kent is right again as usual.......Where is this sidecar outfit now Pork Pie?.......................................

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:01:09 AM »
it set 8 records that day... 6 as a sidecar with Noll and 2 as a solo with Walter Zeller... pretty famous BMW... its probably in Munich
Kent

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 07:21:10 AM »
Sorry I missed this one....otherwise I had written before.

I would confirm Kent's opinion - Noll's BMW sidecar.

Don't know where this picture comes from - but to my information the bike is finished restored and is sometimes in the BMW Museum in Munich, also in the Deutsche Museum in Munich and was borrowed in the earlier time to the Neckarsulm Zweirad (two wheel) Museum - the famous NSU Museum (which still owns to biggest motorcycle collection on earth).
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:17:11 AM »
Hey Pork Pie, Have you been to the Barber Museum in Birmingham, Alabama??????????
If not the largest....certainly the second largest
zweirad museum in th world!!!!...............................

(I am somewhat prejudiced.......they have some of our "old" stuff)

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 12:53:50 PM »
barber has a few bikes of mine also! cool place and a lot of cool stuff...
kent

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »
Hey Pork Pie, Have you been to the Barber Museum in Birmingham, Alabama??????????
If not the largest....certainly the second largest
zweirad museum in th world!!!!...............................

(I am somewhat prejudiced.......they have some of our "old" stuff)

10 years ago when I worked in Alabama it was only a 30 minutes drive to the Barber Museum in Birmingham.

They invite me to visit them. During my first visit we walked into the workshop. There was some parts lying around....my question was....Heh, where you got this old Don Vesco streamliner......the peoples jaw dropped down to knee.....
they was really surprised to get a guy in the place who not only saw what it was, also he knew who the builder/rider was.

I talked later to Don - he told me that he sold the racer to Barber to get some money for the Turbinator.

The Museum is a great place and there are a lot of beautiful bikes on display, also the way as the bikes are on display is well done. As I remember did Barber start to this time, to build a motorcycle race course in Birmingham, but I left Alabama before he start with this project. No idea if it was ever finished.

And to the size.....I think the Midland Motorcycle Museum in Coventry/Birmingham (England) is second behind Neckarsulm..
.....but they got the advantage that they got more show space. In Neckarsulm they got around 20 percent on display... the other are in storage and from time to time they replace some bikes in the museum.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)