Author Topic: Exhaust Direction  (Read 3069 times)

landracing

Exhaust Direction
« on: October 26, 2004, 01:59:00 AM »
Rule 3.B states.."Exhaust must be directed away from the racing surface for production class motorcycles."

I suggest that is be for ALL motorcycles. This would also be in compliance with FIM rule 31.02

Jonathan

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Exhaust Direction
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 10:21:00 AM »
I thought that ALL bikes were required to have the exhaust outlet NOT pointing down.  At SpeedWeek this year Nancy's bike (certainly NOT running in a production class) drew some nasty comments from the inspectors because the exhaust pipe outlet was angled slightly down and toward the track.  It passed tech as it was, and the reason they gave me (to explain the rule) was that at El Mirage a pipe pointing at the track surface would raise dust!

I don't think many stock (i.e. production) bikes these days have exhaust pointing down and close to the track, except maybe the Buells.  And I can't imagine  that other stock bikes, with the high cannisters they have these days that might include an outlet that points down, even though it's still two or three feet above the surface, would fail to pass scrutiny.

But stranger things have been known to happen in the tech inspection and impound areas. . .  Don't know how the FIM would feel on this.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com