Author Topic: Questions about my leathers  (Read 2338 times)

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
Questions about my leathers
« on: March 03, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »
I know that I have addressed this before. Im pretty sure I know the answer is all leather.
But....
I have my leathers at Speedsport leathers. I just got off the phone with Amanda, and she (and I) would like to know what needs to be done with the suit to pass tech. She has experience with salt racers, and it is all leather for that racing venue. She is concerned that if she just replaces the stretch panels on the back side of the legs, that the stretch panel in the crotch and under arms are a no go and she suggests to replace all of the stretch. I totally agree with this, but we would like clarfication before proceding. All of it can be removed and replaced with leather by the April meet. But we just would like to know how much needs to be replaced so she can determine the amount of time she needs to put into it to get it done. If its worth doing it, its worth over doing it, and this is a case that I think this is more than true.

I know the rule book isnt out, or I havnt received mine yet. So the suite may be ok, but I would rather base the suit off of what others have, along with wanting to go 200mph. I am riding a ZX14.

Note----- The suit does have 4-5 small vent holes on the back on either side. On the top of the shoulder there are scoops for air, that then vent out the small holes. The suit is not perforated any where else besides just aft of the shoulder scoops, it is not a fully perforated suit.

Re: Questions about my leathers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:03:14 PM »
The way I understand it, your leathers are O.K. and approved for all racing org's except for SCTA/BNI.........SCTA/BNI is not having a April meet.................so take your time.............................

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:20:08 PM »
My last post for the evening (I hope).  ECTA leathers must have metal zippers, and if the suit is two-piece, the zippers must be a: all the way around the waist, and b: the zippers must be attached to leather or strong fabric (vs. attaching them to the soft and supple liner of the suit).  Not perforations of any kind, anywhere, is the best -- but a few perfs (five-8 or so), in areas smaller than the palm of your hand, will be accepted.  Perhaps in the armpits, say.

NO REPEAT NO fabric is best.  That part is simple.

Remember -- if you're on a 14R you'll be in a class where the record is over 175, and therefore you'll be required to have body armor.  If you've got the time and the bucks you can have it built into the suit now, or you can purchase armor that slips on/straps on.  But armor is required over 175 (that is, if the record in your class is over 175 - whether you're going that fast or not).

Back to perforations/fabrics:  Remember, this is Maxton (at least you put your question in the ECTA column).  You'll be completely zipped into your suit for about a minute or three, and comfort/ventilation isn't going to be high on your list of things to worry about a lack thereof.  And also remember that this is land speed racing -- you don't need a suit that's super-flexible and would allow you to climb around on the bike like a monkey or V. Rossi -- you'll be scrunched into a tiny lump and trying hard to get even smaller, so you won't need lots of the flex as fabric would provide.  Make sure that the suit fits you when you're in the tuck, though.  Some leathers manufacturers make their suits based upon the buyer's measurements when in the position in which he'll be using the suit (in other words, when tucked, not while standing on the bedroom floor).

Back to your scoops:  Are they closable with metal zippers?  The should be.

I think I've got it right.  If I don't, and you show up with leathers that are way more than required to pass -- well, the rules are a minimum, remember, and skin grafts are less fun than sweating.

We look forward to seeing you at Maxton.  Make sure you get your ticket reservation in soon (for the Banquet on Saturday night).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 06:55:09 AM »
Im be headed to Maxton. The suit is going to be maxton and occasional drag strip. It is a 2 piece now, but will be a 1 piece when I get it back.
As for the scoops, they are actual scoops, hard molded rubber sewn into the suit and can not be covered or removed. This is the best picture I could find as I do not have one on my computer. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fireblades.org/forums/attachments/riding-gear-luggage/19618d1153287371t-joe-rocket-gpx-one-piece-suit-gpx-shoulder-scoop.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fireblades.org/forums/riding-gear-luggage/46952-joe-rocket-gpx-one-piece-suit.html&usg=__ObvoiaZVPSJT3KBktzjl-TadMVc=&h=102&w=152&sz=6&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=X86dt4ZidtozwM:&tbnh=64&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djoe%2Brocket%2BGPX%2Bscoop%2Bpicture%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

You have to log onto the site to see a bigger picture, but is not needed to see where it is located. This is not my suit, but a 1 piece GPX of the same year. In the last picture you can see on the shoulder, there is a bump, that is the scoop. Just below that in the white leather is where the 4-5 perforations are located.

The suit has all of the required armor in it already, hips, knees, shoulder, fore arms, back, and a small tail bone foam. Also the suit is not skin tight, and as I stand with it on, it is snug but does have some movement from the hips down, very minimal though.

I think I will go with having all of the stretch replaced, and be on the safe side.