Author Topic: Crane Cams closes doors  (Read 17674 times)

Offline bradc6

• New folks
  • Bailey & Barber • World's Fastest BMW 2002
    • Barber Motorsports Design
Crane Cams closes doors
« on: February 25, 2009, 05:04:48 PM »
Barber Motorsports Design
http://www.bradbarber.com

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: Crane Cams closes doors
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:51:26 PM »
Thats sad.

ALSO-

It was nice to have you guys as pit neighbors.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline t russell

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:34:15 PM »
that is sad

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 08:43:14 PM »
This recession is no good for anyone I guess.
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline Tzoom

• All revved up with no place to go - Meatloaf 1977
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:02:02 PM »
I don't think the economy had too much to do with this.  When the employees sold Crane to Mikronite they set the stage for their own demise.  What stood out to me in the article was the feeling that Mikronite was more of a corporate raider in its acquisition than a serious contender in the motorsports world.  The handwriting was on the wall and visible to all when Mikronite sold the Florida property a year after they bought Crane and then leased it back.  The were divesting themselves of assets and preparing to shut the doors from the git-go.  I check out the speed parts catalogs frequently and Crane's product line seemed to stay where it was while other companies continued with R & D and introduced new products with regularity.  I'm sure they (Mikronite) bought the Crane "right" and hoped to turn a profit but when they didn't Crane was easy to dispose of.  Can you say tax write-off.
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games --- Ernest Hemingway

Offline bradc6

• New folks
  • Bailey & Barber • World's Fastest BMW 2002
    • Barber Motorsports Design
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:37:36 AM »
It was nice to have you guys as pit neighbors.

~JH

Hey, thanks and agree completely.
You guys had a good thrash last time with super results.

Hope to see you in August.

Brad
Barber Motorsports Design
http://www.bradbarber.com

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 11:57:01 AM »
I read this morning that Holley filed for bancruptsy too

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 02:07:49 PM »
Here's the press release from Holley.  Although they've filed for Chapter 11 "restructuring" they haven't stated plans to close the doors.

Bowling Green-based Holley Performance Products Inc. filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy Tuesday.

Customers, suppliers and its more than 600 employees - about 375 in Bowling Green - will not be affected, according to Holley Chief Financial Officer Tom Tomlinson, who also said the restructuring plan approved by the company’s owners and investors is expected to be confirmed at a hearing March 19.

“We have all the cash and liquidity we need to pay vendors, and we will continue to honor our arrangements with customers,” Tomlinson said this morning. Operations are profitable and the company will carry on with “business-as-usual” throughout the restructuring process, which should be completed within 45 days, he said.

Holley specializes in performance engine parts with products used throughout the world in racing, street, marine and powersports.

Holley began planning its restructuring in 2002, when the company saw solid earnings growth that was overshadowed by its debt of the late 1990s - a time when the company expanded its vision beyond manufacturing fuel systems.

After Holley was acquired by a private equity firm in the late 1990s, it went on a buying spree, completing a series of acquisitions to add additional automotive lines - Weiand, NOS, FlowTech, Earl’s and Nitrous Oxide Systems, according to Tomlinson. Holley’s Nitrous Oxide Systems, Weiand and Holley products are made in Bowling Green.

“The debt is from those acquisitions and the period after those acquisitions in which the company was running in a way that was cash-flow negative,” Tomlinson said.

The actual conversion of debt into equity is being accomplished through the “prepackaged” bankruptcy filing that cancels out Holley’s old capital structure and formally establishes the new one, according to Holley, with all of its creditors consenting to the bankruptcy.

After the restructuring, Holley’s debt levels will improve, Tomlinson said, from its historically over-leveraged position in the past decade.

Calling Holley a “lean and focused enterprise with strong customer relationships, significant technological capabilities and diversified revenue sources,” Holley CEO James D. Wiggins said in a news release that the company has established a good track record of profitability and growth.

As the restructuring frees up Holley’s cash flow and significantly reduces the amount of interest it pays to service its debt, the company says it is poised to take advantage of growth opportunities.

Tomlinson said more acquisitions are likely to be considered.

“Obviously, we’re going to look for the right opportunities and proceed cautiously,” Tomlinson said. “We’re always looking for what is the next stage for Holley.”

Here's the key phrase:
"The actual conversion of debt into equity is being accomplished through the “prepackaged” bankruptcy filing that cancels out Holley’s old capital structure and formally establishes the new one, according to Holley, with all of its creditors consenting to the bankruptcy."

Keep an eye on their common stock.  If you own some...well, it might become worthless paper like K-Mart did as a part of that little trick of "canceling out the old capital structure."  In my eyes this is nothing short of legalized theft.

RtR

Offline jb2

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 03:04:47 PM »
RtR,
Finally a subject where I am a bit of an expert.  The real key phrase in that release is "After Holley was acquired by a private equity firm in the late 1990s".  It is not a publicly traded company.  I do find it funny that a cash flow negative company can also be referred to as a "lean and focused enterprise"/

Sounds to me like the private equity firm wanted to do some buying, did so and now gets to create equity out of debt.

Jim

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »
Aha.  Thank you, jb.  I didn't realize it wasn't publicly funded. 

Could you explain how a company creates equity from debt?  From my college days I seem to recall that they were on opposite sides of the ledger.

Is this new math or creative accounting?

RtR

Offline jb2

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 03:41:09 PM »
declare bankruptcy and hold property etc.... as an asset.  You emerge with different, usually less, definately better structured financing and assets to continue operation.  Definately creative accounting.  BTW, I am not an attorney that deals with this, just a beat up stock broker.

landracing

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 03:45:36 PM »
because by filing chapter 11 - debt goes away and they get to instantly build equity......    some of that fancy accounting...

JonAmo

McRat

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 03:55:42 PM »
The one to watch out for is something in California called General Assignment.  Believe it or not, through a legal loophole and 1800's common law, they can wipe out all debt, and keep all their assets without filing bankrupcy.

I had a customer run up a huge debt in a short interval, then they claimed general assignment as soon as I completed the contract.  I called it fraud, since they knew they weren't going to pay the bills before they ordered the work done, but the police did not want to deal with it.

The lawyer I hired couldn't do anything for me either.  The company is still in business, they are called Fairway Molds.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »
Ok.  I see what you're saying about bankruptcy.  But if they write off debt and have no common stock, it kinda seems to be at odds with this statement:

“We have all the cash and liquidity we need to pay vendors, and we will continue to honor our arrangements with customers”

Unless there are investor loans or perhaps outstanding balances on the companies they gobbled up...well, like in McRat's case, that seems like premeditated fraud.

Btw, I looked up General Assignment and came up with this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_assignment

It doesn't seem possible that an insolvent company can claim General Assignment of assets as a protection against its creditors and still remain in business without Chapter 11 reorganization.

But I guess I don't have to understand it to accept it.  I spose talking about this is better than some other topics.

RtR

Offline Jim Demmitt Jr

• NHRA T/S 7360
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 08:47:02 PM »
Wow, Crane Cams shuts down.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/breakingnews/crane022409.htm

This is sad news

Crane Cams helped us out with our Pro Stock effort on the 70's making cams for the 427 SOHC Hemi. We always got great quick service and delivery
AR Ford Boss Hemi 526ci
Jim Demmitt Jr. Racing NHRA T/S 7360
Blown Alcohol 57tbird

JDR Web page
http://fordflashback.com/jd_fords.asp
A/FX- Pro Stock Rare Factory Ford drag cars