Author Topic: Rear Engine Modified Roadster Build  (Read 290725 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Rear Engine Modified Roadster Build
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2009, 09:53:33 PM »
Finished up the charge cooler ends today, still have to finish up the housing. The charger cooler element is a Cummins 855 oil cooler.  Same style that was used  on the Hill & Hill stream liner about 12-15 years ago.  With a E motored Indy Buick V6, they went from  260 without the cooler to 363  by only adding the cooler.  They were never able to back up the run. Tony

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:56:53 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline rebelce

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2009, 07:10:44 AM »
Jerry Weigt made a very similar charge cooler for the Rocket Science Olds when it was running a Jimmy. What is the diameter and length of those tubes?  Inquiring minds need to know. :) 

Offline jl222

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »

Neat setup, what size is the cooler and blower tubes? I think there bigger than they look if your using a Procharger.

How does the water part work?

Lookin good JL222 :cheers:

Offline maguromic

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2009, 11:12:01 PM »
Jerry Weigt made a very similar charge cooler for the Rocket Science Olds when it was running a Jimmy. What is the diameter and length of those tubes?  Inquiring minds need to know. :) 

Armond, I wish this was my idea, but it was Jerry who suggested it to me and built the original on the Hill & Hill stream liner along with few more for others.  Jerry also wrote the original program to CNC the ends.  This unit is made by Hayden( several companies make them for the Cummins 855)and the tube i.d. is .240 and are 16" long with a 174 cooling tubes.  If you are going to build one make sure you get one that is made in the USA as the foreign units have less tubes and the i.d. on the tubes is smaller, making it about 30% less efficient.

Neat setup, what size is the cooler and blower tubes? I think there bigger than they look if your using a Procharger.

How does the water part work?

Lookin good JL222 :cheers:

The end openings are 3 1/2" and the whole thing is about 18" long end to end. There is a tube in the middle that has two AN fittings for the water.  I am using an aluminum tube, but all the ones that Jerry built use a PVC tube (he likes it because it wont conduct heat and sweat).  This ones from Mark Miller's door slammer.  It was on the engine when he got into the 2 club and year later after a protest on the block they took his hat away. :-o It should be interesting this year with his new motor.  Tony

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:16:27 PM by maguromic »

Offline maguromic

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2009, 11:30:01 AM »
I am working on the design of the fuel tank this week.  It will be an aluminum tank and will not have any foam in it. Would like to know what styles of baffles are being used and has anyone had any issues with the engine leaning out when the parachutes hits.  This car will have different engines over time and I am trying to anticipate the future needs. Tony

Offline jl222

« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2009, 12:01:38 PM »

maguromic...We hit the parachutes and the fuel shut off at the same time ,their in line, and put the clutch in. We don't back down on the motor,no lean out problem.

JL222

Offline hitz

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2009, 03:25:36 PM »
Anybody'

Why would the engine lean out when the chute is pulled? Is the tank ahead of the engine? Thats the only way I could see that happening. What am I missing here? I was planning on driving through the chute pull but I'm a rookie and don't have a lot of answers yet. Thanks for any information you might have.

Harv (willie)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2009, 03:30:03 PM »
Willie/Harv/Hitz:

The engine could lean out when hitting the chute -- if the fuel pickup was near the rear of the tank.  The fuel would more forward when the chute hits, starving the pickup.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2009, 03:39:12 PM »
Did I miss why no foam was going to be used in the fuel tank?

J

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2009, 03:40:45 PM »
With out a baffle in the tank the fuel runs forward enough so the pick up tube can suck air. The old front engine dragsters had this problem with the tanks in the front and engines would stall after the burn outs. Same effect. We would stall every burn out until we had the tank cut open and the baffle installed. Sloshing fluids transfers weight as well.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:54:07 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline maguromic

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2009, 10:19:15 PM »

maguromic...We hit the parachutes and the fuel shut off at the same time ,their in line, and put the clutch in. We don't back down on the motor,no lean out problem.

JL222

JL222, Thats kind of what I was thinking.  Just wasn't sure what the guys with the big motors were doing.  Currently we don't have a big inch motor lined up, but need to plan for it somewhere down the line.

Did I miss why no foam was going to be used in the fuel tank?

J

We are not running foam because it wont hold up to nitro. This car is kind  of a community car with many engines and drivers. So we are trying to to anticipate  future needs.  Compounding that is the tank will sit behind the front suspension and will require either a cavity in the center (what we are leaning towards) or a hole through the tank for the steering shaft.

So far the only things that all of us working on the car have  agreed on is that it will be 10 gallons, have two -12 pickups and the top will have twin  6x10 inch plates.  One will have the dry break and the other will have fittings for six -8 return lines and  a roll over valve. I will post the first draft of the drawing next week. Tony

Offline maguromic

« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2009, 12:29:30 AM »
Still working on the tank layout and drawing and its going slower than anticipated.  Just not enough space to get everything including the inter cooler tank (which sits behind the fuel tank) and other stuff squeezed in to a small space the way we like it.  So we moved to the back of the car to tidy up the alternator layout and take a break from the fuel tank drawing. We went with a micro "V" belt and the used a modified Honda S2000 crank pulley on the axle.  As soon as the tank drawing is done I will post it.  Tony

Offline maguromic

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2009, 12:31:24 AM »
It posted twice, so I deleted one. :?

Offline maguromic

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2009, 02:53:57 AM »
Our Procharger housings came back from the extrude honing shop today and we were disappointed to say the least. They still left some of the casting flaws, so back in the box and off for a redo.  Tony

Offline maguromic

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2009, 11:28:25 PM »
After a lot of redraws the fuel tank drawing is finally finished.  The top plate is machined with a “spillage bin” for the dry break and the other panel is a standard Fuel Safe size plate and will contain the vents and return lines.  The bottom sump is pretty self-baffled and will have two –12 fittings, with the main baffles feeding fuel to the sump. The baffles are designed to fit through the top access panel and bolt to the floor and each other and to use the steering shaft thru hole as an upper brace.  The tank is mounted to a bottom tray and held down by 4 long studs that go through the top machined panel and down to the tray. Tony