Author Topic: Rear Engine Modified Roadster Build  (Read 290671 times)

Offline Jon

Re: Rear Engine Modified Roadster Build
« Reply #450 on: June 17, 2012, 04:08:45 PM »
+1 for the tool pic please Tony.

I will have 2 engine outlets that I was going to Y together, run a single line to a swirlpot/air damper chamber and a bypass thermostat after that, would it be worthwhile running both lines to the swirlpot rather than Y-ing them together?

Running a pre-pressurized system.

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #451 on: June 17, 2012, 06:25:01 PM »
Tony:  While I admit to no interest in seeing your tool - - it'd be fine with me to send along a photo (or many) of your avatar subjects, each showing the various tools they're equipped with. :evil: :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DND

« Reply #452 on: June 17, 2012, 06:38:24 PM »
Hi Slim

I was just wondering if you could put a gizmo in the Avatar pic's , so then they can enlage to look at them.

Thanks, Don

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #453 on: June 17, 2012, 11:54:11 PM »
Can you splain the water and the swirly thing?

Tman, The basic function of the swirl tank (pot) is to bleed of the steam that comes through the system.  In our case this tank is deigned for the GMC 302.  We are building it as a dry deck motor and are feeding the water at the side of the block and pulling it out in six spots just blow the deck and for the head we are feeding the water above the spark plugs and pulling it out at either end of the head.

When the water is returned to the tank it starts to swirl and the steam goes to the top, where it is bled off to the header tank.  The good water drains back to the radiator and back through the system. 

Jon, You shouldn’t have a problem running the two lines to a “Y” and then to the swirl pot.  The only thing I would do if you can is run the “Y” further away from the swirl tank as possible to keep the water from being too turbulent.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #454 on: June 18, 2012, 12:39:15 AM »
Tony--you stretch us so  :-o  so--  neat to learn about these ALL these things you are exposed to at the other racing venues you attend and participate in!!! :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

gizmo in the Avatar pic's ,   That would requre a double secret decoder ring which might be a good "
FUNd RAISER

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:41:46 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #455 on: June 18, 2012, 09:33:21 PM »
Hi Slim

I was just wondering if you could put a gizmo in the Avatar pic's , so then they can enlage to look at them.

Thanks, Don

How about scratch n sniff while you are at it!? :-o

Offline maguromic

« Reply #456 on: June 18, 2012, 09:51:07 PM »
Sparky and Jon,  This is the homemade tool for making the cone shape for the inlets of the swirl tank.   Once you get the cone shape you cut off the overlap on a band saw and then weld the seem.  Tony

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #457 on: June 19, 2012, 08:26:31 AM »
Tman and DND -- and probably others who are wise enough not to publicly advertise their baser instincts:

You guys are pigs!  But I still love you, don' chew worry 'bout dat.

As I remember, the avatar photo is reduced in (file) size when it is assumed into the Profile -- and so can't be enlarged from the avatar that we see on the screen.  Too bad, hey?  I admit it might be an interesting way to raise funds for the site -- selling the secret code for enlarging - but not just now.  Donations anyway are always welcome, though.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #458 on: June 19, 2012, 07:37:47 PM »
if you are on a tablet , you can enlarge them.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline maguromic

« Reply #459 on: February 24, 2013, 12:55:56 PM »
It’s been a while since my last post, but we have been making steady progress.  Woody has done lots of CFD work on parts of the car he thought could be optimized better and is close to finalizing it.  With the new shape we lost some space in the front, which required that Steve redesign the front suspension and use rockers to reposition the shocks.  We also took the rear brakes out of the air stream and moved them inboard, which required the use of four calipers to eliminate the flex at the transaxle axle flange.  Tony

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #460 on: February 24, 2013, 08:04:45 PM »
Welcome back, Tony. Missed your quality photos of the various tools, hardware, and other suprises!  :-D

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #461 on: February 24, 2013, 08:42:38 PM »
Good to see you're back Tony. Now I gotta speed scan your build page to get back on track. :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline maguromic

« Reply #462 on: February 24, 2013, 11:35:55 PM »
I have been swamped with work and haven't had a chance to work on anything for a while. But this weekend my machinist friend Kevin committed to a solid 1 day a week till all the remaining machined parts are finished.  The rear will be the first priority while Steve finishes up the new front suspension layout in between his race duties.  We should be seeing some good progress soon.  Tony

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #463 on: August 17, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
is it soon yet?????????????:?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #464 on: August 17, 2013, 06:49:56 PM »
Good one, Sparky!  :-D   I was just thinking about Tony the other day and was just about to bump thread. Hope everything is fine, Tony.