Author Topic: Rear Engine Modified Roadster Build  (Read 290936 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Rear Engine Modified Roadster Build
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 06:36:48 PM »
Finally got the trans axle back mounts worked out and the D, E motor placed. We had to wait till we could find blueprints for the Chevy IRL engine to see if the crank center line can work with the trans axle position.   As it would have it the trans axle had to be raised to work correctly.  We also received allot of help from Timken and their engineering department to get the correct hubs and how to identify the Delphi parts from some of the cheap knock offs. I though we would be able to cut pipe by now.  But after three redraws on the frame it may be next month before we can cut pipe.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:24:16 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Freud

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2009, 09:47:01 PM »
Maguromic, what a marvelous transition for the chalk lines on the floor, that have produced many record holding vehicles, to a working drawing that establishes exact measurements and the relationship of the elements of the build to the available space.

Do you have anyone in your crew that can lay out a tree house for the neighbor kids if I send u a foto of the tree?
You have convinced me that progress is happening in all areas of building.

Would we need a CNC mill to build the house?

I just found out that we can't weld wood. That's probably why there aren't any wooden LSR vehicles.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2009, 09:53:12 PM »
I don't know Freud, a few have run like stumps.............  :evil:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline maguromic

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009, 10:35:54 PM »
FREUD, I don't know what chalk on the floor is.  I do know what a dry board is though. LOL  If you give that tree picture I am sure we can get the tree house handled.  But no mechanical drawings for the  elevator to bring the LSR car up.

This is not my car, a few us are helping  a friend with his car.  It will be community car and will have several engines (the IRL engines are mine). Its very easy to maximize everything without spending any dollars.  So far all we have in it is time and the few pieces that are taken from other cars.  Having a clean sheet of paper to build the car will let us try some ideas out on the computer before we build.  When I built my gas roadster I did some CFD ( a lot cheaper than a wind tunnel, even though I would like to go use the tunnel some time  next year) work and found the area around the cockpit was crucial to the way my head rest faring was designed.

I do know what you mean though about chalk on the floor, we have almost 30 drawings for the suspension and related parts. Most will need a CNC.

By the way do you have any pictures of John Helash's Mustang with the 427 SOHC engine at Bonneville in '71'74.

Tony

Offline maguromic

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2009, 10:44:05 PM »
This is my '32 XO/GR, it should be at Speed Week (the engine has been a uphill battle) this year.  The picture is photoshoped for a poster I did, I will try to post some better pictures on another thread soon.  Tony

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:54:40 PM by maguromic »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2009, 11:32:49 PM »
Looks illegal to me.

'course everyone else's roadster looks illegal to me.  That's the only reason they're alvways beating me!

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Freud

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2009, 12:53:19 AM »
Dyno, maybe the ones that run like stumps can be used in the treehouse.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline maguromic

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2009, 10:36:40 PM »
Rex, This picture is for you.   :cheers:  Finally figured out how to get the front  anti- roll-bar (ARB) mounted.  The chassis tubes aren't correct, in the final drawing they will extend forward to support the nose. The nose will be mounted with two or more “Bullets “ at least 1” diameter that fit tightly into holes and spring loaded with clamps that pull the nose back HARD on top of the rear parting line in all areas eliminating any movement helping the aero from less distortion and vibrations (an old GTP trick).  Tony

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:40:28 PM by maguromic »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2009, 11:37:47 AM »
Tony,
Love the ARB! this car is really going to be a collection of "old" Indy car parts. I don't think that people realize how much of this stuff is out there and how cheap it is. Love the pic of your roadster too!! slick!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline maguromic

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2009, 12:23:35 AM »
Finally all the suspension drawings are finished and the CNC work will be starting later this week. This car will have different engines and that took a long time to work out all the different crank center lines in relation to the trans axle and to get the rideheight correct.

These drawings are done to scale. The second picture is with the IRL engine for the "D" and "E" class. Tony

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:25:11 AM by maguromic »

Offline maguromic

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2009, 12:50:44 AM »
Did some work on the parts today and also decided that we will use my my blown GMC 6 first.  It has a F2 reverse rotation Procharger that was taken apart today and sent out to get extrude honed.  The drawing is to scale with the aftercooler and the air box. However I still have to do some CFD work on the air box to see how it will flow.  Tony

Offline desotoman

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2009, 01:33:48 AM »
Looking good Tony.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2009, 11:18:08 AM »
Tony, I'd test the Delta T and Delta P with that chargeair cooler before I spent time worrying about CFD on the plenum chamber. JMO. 

:-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline maguromic

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2009, 12:01:10 AM »
Tony, I'd test the Delta T and Delta P with that chargeair cooler before I spent time worrying about CFD on the plenum chamber. JMO. 

:-)

Michael, The aftercooler has been tested.  I wish it was my idea but it was on the Hill & Hill stream liner about 12-15 years ago. It’s the oil cooler element from a Cummings 855.

The data logging on the liner showed that it had an inlet temperature of about 400 degrees and an outlet temperature of about 118 degrees.  The car was running an E motor (ex indy Buick V6) and spinning to 9000 rpm and was pushing about 35 pounds of boost. Without the cooler it ran 260 mph and with only adding the cooler it went 363.  I think because of a blown tire they couldn’t back up the run.  I am working on the cooler ends and assembly this week and I will add some pictures of everything soon.  Tony

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2009, 10:38:04 AM »
Looks great. GMC's have come a long way since I started with them. Best of luck. JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro